Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

US federal authorities shut down 9 pirate sites

The US federal authorities have forced 9 popular pirate/bootleg sites of the internet and may possibly press charges again their owners:

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2010/07/01/Nine-bootleg-movie-Web-sites-closed-down/UPI-49561277998409/

Personally I am glad that people are actually doing something about piracy for once. I know this isn't going to end piracy since new sites will probably be brought online soon enough, but its nice to see that the pirates aren't completely immune like they consider them self's to be.

Thoughts?

I'd like to see people arrested for using commodified natural resources for free.

There's always one person who loves The Man and does The Man's work for him, jesus

Yeah, good stuff. Piracy won't be stamped out (it has always existed in some form), but the most that can be hoped is that it is kept as something that people who consider themselves law-abiding citizens don't get involved in.

If it gets to the point where normal people feel silly for paying money for any intellectual property, then there's no point in anyone making any creative work, which would be a disaster for humanity.

Grazza said:

If it gets to the point where normal people feel silly for paying money for any intellectual property, then there's no point in anyone making any creative work, which would be a disaster for humanity.

If that was the case the world wouldn't be teeming with indie movies, free software, free games, free books, free music, etc, etc. Sure, it would have far less of the huge-budget stuff, but there would be no lack of creativity.

As for the news, meh. The feds are wasting their time and your money. They will change little, except maybe to push this kind of thing into a corner where it's harder to catch.

Aliotroph? said:

The feds are wasting their time and your money.

My...money. Let the movie industry handle it's own cases and stop using our money to take control of everything.

Für hardcore_gamer, SIEG HEIL!!!

Aliotroph? said:

Sure, it would have far less of the huge-budget stuff

Which in itself wouldn't be a huge loss to mankind. (Most) stuff sucks these days, which is arguably the reason why people are more prone to pirate the said media than pay for it. Or maybe that's just me.

The point is there's a huge difference in being a cheap ass and being smart enough to avoid spending money on shit.

Mr. T said:

There's always one person who loves The Man and does The Man's work for him, jesus

One? More like millions.

The saddest of them are those not working directly for the Man (or even as by-side snitches, shills etc.) but just pretend to be "on the Man's side" hoping that one day the Man will love them back...eventually, while in reality they are just in the same pan with the other victims and are never going to reap any extraordinary benefits from this imaginary relationship. Probably some kind of defense against cognitive dissonance, I dunno.

Grazza said:

Says the Doomer who's played countless wads which were all made for free :P

In fact the opposite is true - the less money is involved, the more creative someone can be when making stuff. (except films ofc, which are prevented from being home-made by huge manpower and monetary requirements)

Maes said:

He ought to be careful what he wishes for...as I'm sure he doesn't want the Doom modding scene and everything else to do with open source/freeware/indie games and other software to die. Or all music that isn't owned by major labels etc.

I SOLD many copies of DOOM 3, Quake 3, Quake 3 + English Bid for power (lol, a Quake 3 mod), and others. Lol, I even sold a copy of "DOOM: A megawad in two weeks" (yet I advised it was made by me and others).

I used to be like you, I bought many games directly to id Software and some selling sites, all brand new, with their boxes, posters, manuals and all, via postal mail (personally I think that if you pay for download a game, or worse, to play on steam, you're an idiot), I even have a premium Quake 3 tin box. Then I released things doesn't have to be that way and I started to download for free some games (and made cd boxes for some of them), and I said, what if I make some money too. Then things started to be more clear.
I don't sell copies anymore, but I keep downloading the stuff I want, or buying pirate copies (at low prices of course) if the download is a trouble.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

He ought to be careful what he wishes for...as I'm sure he doesn't want the Doom modding scene and everything else to do with open source/freeware/indie games and other software to die. Or all music that isn't owned by major labels etc.

In that case he'd answer something like "But I DO like big-label music and Hollywood flims, and I always enjoy my FULL PRICE videogames to the end, and I always paid the full price like a good citizen, and I am both genuinely entertained AND in good terms with my conscience".

Hardcore_gamer thinks he's some kind of Marty Stue of morality and righteous living, always doing everything by the law and the book and considering himself totally in-reprehensible, and "standing amazed" before people who might think otherwise.

Or at least that's what he says. He could be the world's biggest warezer for all we know.

In Greece we have a saying "you are who/what you declare". I've seen too many a self-defined moral pillar/hard worker/otherwise idealized figure bragging about how cool and whatnot he was and how things "just worked out smoothly" for him all the time, only to be proven miserably wrong sooner or later.

Technician said:

Get off your fucking high horse, hardcore_gamer, seriously. Fucking pinko.

Maes said:

While I already knew that a good number of people on this site do not share my view on piracy, I still assumed that they would express their thoughts in a fairly civil manner.

Instead I am being called a communist and a Nazi among other things.

Doomworld is becoming more and more like 4chan with every day that passes.

Maes said:

Unless he thinks he's some kind of Marty Stue of morality and righteous living, always doing everything by the law and the book and considering himself totally in-reprehensible, and "standing amazed" before people who DON'T do exactly as he does.

So doing something as simple as arguing that braking the law is wrong is enough to make you a shining beacon of hope and rainbows?

hardcore_gamer said:

So doing something as simple as arguing that braking the law is wrong is enough to make you a shining beacon of hope and rainbows?

It all depends how you put it. If you just reported the news, none would have lashed.

But if you act high and mighty saying "Hmmph! Those dirty pirates got what they deserved! Totally unlike me, I'm a good and honest person" then, well, some of this place's "patrons" may be inclined to disagree.

If you expected hand-clapping and heel-clacking instead, you're in the wrong place.

Maes said:

But if you act high and mighty saying "Hmmph! Those dirty pirates got what they deserved! Totally unlike me, I'm a good and honest person"

When you say that its almost as if you are incapable of grasping the fact that their are in fact people out their WHO SIMPLY DON'T PIRATE!

You are assuming that everyone pirates at least sometimes and that anyone who says otherwise can't possibly be honest.

But as hard as it may be for you to believe, people like that actually exist with me being one of them.

Maes said:

If you expected hand-clapping and heel-clacking instead, you're in the wrong place.

No, I was not expecting hand-clapping. But I was expecting more maturity from the thread. So far all you have done is badmouthing me.

hardcore_gamer said:

You are assuming that everyone pirates at least sometimes and that anyone who says otherwise can't possibly be honest.

In my experience, anyone who needs to brag about how righteous/hard working/honest he supposedly is, is seriously lacking in (several) other departments, but that's just an opinion.

hardcore_gamer said:

No, I was not expecting hand-clapping. But I was expecting more maturity from the thread. So far all you have done is badmouthing me.

OK, let's dissect your OP line by line then.

hardcore_gamer said:

The US federal authorities have forced 9 popular pirate/bootleg sites of the internet and may possibly press charges again their owners:

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...49561277998409/

So far so good. This is just reporting the news, and IMHO you could have stopped there, perhaps adding a "Thoughts?".

Oh and BTW I wanted to actually read the article, but the link is broken/autoredirects to main page :-/

hardcore_gamer said:

Personally I am glad that people are actually doing something about piracy for once.

The problem here is that the premise for your being "glad" is flaky at best. Piracy is being actively fought all the time and similar events are reported all the time, in national or international scale, so there was nothing exceptional about this one.

The "people" you are talking about are usually police/private investigators who are paid to do this as part of their regular job after formal charges have been filed and/or "stalkers" have been hired. There's nothing to admire or to feel particularly relieved about.

hardcore_gamer said:

I know this isn't going to end piracy since new sites will probably be brought online soon enough

Again, a flaky premise. There is not a single "pirate" entity that can be brought down once and for all, pretty much like you can't eradicate crime or terrorism on all levels. There are THOUSANDS of sites they DIDN'T bring down, for that matter.

hardcore_gamer said:

but its nice to see that the pirates aren't completely immune like they consider them self's to be.

Again, an erroneous assumption, and an gratuitous implicit endorsement of unpopular entities like the BSA and the RIAA, which are the among the only ones who can initiate such a process to begin with. Combine this with your other threads full of reactionary ideas, and you don't get yourself much sympathy.

hardcore_gamer said:

Thoughts?

IMHO, that's all you should have written other than the news. By all means, feel free to express your opinion...but be ready to accept the others' opinion of you. If you find it harsher than you'd feel comfortable with then perhaps you should ask yourself why.

hardcore_gamer said:

Personally I am glad

We know.

They will just move these sites off-shore to some country like Belarus or Russia..

Also OP, do you suck the Record Industry's dick also when it comes to "piracy"? How many times have you bought something you've awaited for months or even years..only to find the product is sub-par or shit?

@Maes: I love you (Awesome posts btw)

hardcore_gamer said:

Doomworld is becoming more and more like 4chan with every day that passes.

Yeah, people are posting obvious troll threads.

Don't forget that it was the Motion Picture/US Government's preassure that took down the Pirate Bay. ACROSS THE OCEAN.

It has become painfully obvious that the agenda of the US Government is to grab power and fill their pockets in the process with money from 'special interest' (who ALSO gain power($) in this process) and they do this by painting a Doom-N-Gloom/Scary Evil picture to fool the public!

Eliminate competition by funneling money into a politician's pocket. Then jack prices up. Screw YOU because there are plenty of 'elite' that will still be able to afford it. For now.

Coming soon to a government food pantry near you: YOU!

Indoctrinate. Assimilate. We are Borg.

bytor said:
Don't forget that it was the Motion Picture/US Government's preassure that took down the Pirate Bay. ACROSS THE OCEAN.

Hahaha.

O RLY

"The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) wrote in a press release: "Since filing a criminal complaint in Sweden in November 2004, the film industry has worked vigorously with Swedish and U.S. government officials in Sweden to shut this illegal website down." MPAA CEO Dan Glickman also stated, "Intellectual property theft is a problem for film industries all over the world and we are glad that the local government in Sweden has helped stop The Pirate Bay from continuing to enable rampant copyright theft on the Internet." "

"On 31 May 2006, a raid against The Pirate Bay and people involved with the website took place as ordered by judge Tomas Norström, later the presiding judge of the 2009 trial, prompted by allegations of copyright violations. Police officers shut down the website and confiscated its servers, as well as all other servers hosted by The Pirate Bay's Internet service provider, PRQ."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Bay

RIAA used SERVERS TAKE DOWN
it's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

the iraqis should've let riaa execute saddam, he'd die more often than AM's victims. come to think of it, i wouldn't be surprised if riaa already developed AM to counter piracy. fuck humanity, copyrights must be observed!