Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ralphis`

Windows + Compaq = Hell

Ok, after a long 3 days i have returned.!

I was just sitting there playing half-life on friday and all of a sudden, my explorer.exe just wanted to corrupt on me. heh. Well, I figured I will just reinstall. So, i went into DOS, deleted c:, and went to go get my Win98 cd. Well to my dismay, it was gone. In the back of my mind I was saying "This sux0rz". Or something like that.

So i went to go get mah Win95 cd. I went into the install screen and it said something like "Hah. This cd won't work. Go buy more of our bugged operating systems now slave!".

By now i was running out of ideas, so i stuck in 2 older HD's and by luck, one had MSDOS! So i installed win 3.11 on it for no apparent reason (my computer wasnt picking up any other drives except A:\.

heh. So today i ripped out the 2 new old harddrives i stuck in, popped in a factory default cd and it started saying stupid stuff to me. heh. So i took the cd out and just left the dumb ass dos cd program running when i went to dinner. I came back in and it said "insert cd 1 to contine restoring your computer". By this time i was shouting "w00t" and "I rox0rz" in my family's face. So win98 reinstalled and I went to set it all back up.

The mouse didn't work....So i had to go rooting through my house for an old mouse and i finally found one. Then i couldn't find my Ethernet card driver disk. Well I was pretty pissed.

But now i am back on and i am happy to give smart ass replies to your posts. Mwhaaha ph33r m3!!!1

Holy shit. I just read down the page and say the thing that happened to you on "friday" was it? ITS EXACTLY what happened to me. A conspiracy maybe???

I'm building my next one. 1.3 ghz pentium 4, Geforce2(3?), Roland SC-55, 2 fans :), eventually a burner, 50 gig HD, and some other spiffy stuff.

Please please PLEASE let's not get into the AMD vs Pentium debates. I mean, it's like arguing that Dell is better than Compaq. Intel bites donkey balls, AMD kicks ass. End of the damn discussion.

DC

Not from everything I've done/read.

My Athlon 600 crashes a fourth as many times as my suitemates Dell P3 550. And don't even get me STARTED on HIS roommates P2 400...

DC

So i went to go get mah Win95 cd. I went into the install screen and it said something like "Hah. This cd won't work. Go buy more of our bugged operating systems now slave!".

hey, have you tried cursing and swearing ? cause in my case worked...

take a deep breath and give your best shot...if you are lucky, he will get scared..and work..eventually...

:)

If you want to make your life easier just assemble the computer yourself. The only two system companies I haven't heard anything negative about is Hewlett Packard and Dell... and quite frankly, I still don't trust 'em.

I can tell ya first hand, though, that Packard Bell is shit. Compaq is shit. Gateway is double shit.

Oh, and NEVER buy a computer at Best Buy. That's like asking yourself to get fucked in the ear.

"Yes sir, I'd like this model right...HEY! WHAT THE HELL? GET THE...GET OFF ME!! HEEEELLLPPP!!"

If you want to make your life easier just assemble the computer yourself. The only two system companies I haven't heard anything negative about is Hewlett Packard and Dell... and quite frankly, I still don't trust 'em.

I can tell ya first hand, though, that Packard Bell is shit. Compaq is shit. Gateway is double shit.

Oh, and NEVER buy a computer at Best Buy. That's like asking yourself to get fucked in the ear.

HP is evil. There, now you heard something negative about it.

I'm still of a positive attitude towards Dell though.

I just use Here Computers (in Courtenay). They build it for you (no assembly charge too!! :) Just pick your components from a *very* long list, the operating system you want, and pick it up in 48-72 hours. Granted, the prices are not the absolute lowest you can get, but they are still quite good. Service and support is second to none as well. I have two computers from them and the only time I've had to take them into the shop is for upgrades.

All premade comps suck. Dell is just the most tolerable except for some ultra shitty yamaha sound cards they used in some comp.

I love this message I got trying to reinstall Win95B on my older comp:

This prelease of Windows 98 has expired.

Win 98! WTF?! The disk says 95 on it and it's what windows was last reinstalled with over three years ago with. (Yes, windows was actually up and running on shitty Packard Bell for that long, although on a WD hard drive. The comp must be possessed.) Even after setting back the system clock it still said it was expired so I got another Win95 version B for about $20 and it works fine. I hate version C. It's too much like Win 98.

First - Ralphis - If you're gonna get a pentium, don't get a P4. I would advise you to get an Athlon.

Pre-Manufactured PC's do actually suck more ass than 5 years of Microsoft Bloatware. All you get that's good is a CPU (that's how the sell they goddamn things) And maybe a reasonable mouse and keyboard. The things you can see. verything inside is utter shite. (bar the CPU)

i got a custom made system from dell that kicks ass. Complete with geforce 2 go card and a 15 intch screen, and it hasn't crashed in the six weeks that i've had it!

yeah the dell systems look pretty good.
Pentium 4 geforce 2
my biggest complaint is windows ME
they didnt give me any OS options

AAAAHHHHHHH.... the suffereing. The sweet suffering!!

But, on da real: I used to work in da dept next door to dell, and let me tell you that their tech support dept has to have their dell certification (they get it thru long, difficult, and extremely boring training, believe me), and while they may be very disgruntled 90% of da time(much like 99.9% of da techies in dis world, we get no respect I tells ya), they still da a tight ass job!

Believe me, out of all da choices mentioned so far, the only thing dat be better than slappin' yo own computa togetha, is buyin' a dell! Ya feel me?!

A couple years ago, Micron was the best on the market. Not sure where they stand now. I can guarantee Gateway and Packard Bell, and now Compaq are some of the worst computers on the market.

HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE? COMPAQ'S SHARES HIT ROCK BOTTOM, DELETE THIS POST BEFORE YOU BRING THE WHOLE TECH MARKET DOWN!

If you think that Compaq is even a PART of the "tech industry", then I suggest you just save yourself the pain and crush your skull with a rock. Better yet, crush your skull with a Compaq. It adds to the irony, I think.

DC

Me?
I'm a AMD ThunderBird 1ghz Gateway Custom
Geforce 2 MX
20gig
40/10 DVD
4/4/6 CD-RW

Monster!!!
FUCK intel, damn people are allied to Microcrap..

I got a custom 'putter too.

Abit KT7 Motherboard
AMD Duron 800
GeForce2 MX
30GB HDD
8X4X32X CDRW (<<free! spanky!)
128MB RAM
Rather cheap, but very good C-Media Surround Sound card.
and a 14" Monitor. :(

Still, not bad, when I get practically no cash.

Does not Compaq machines need special memory? Maybe I am totally wrong, but I have a rememberance that compaq useres have (or once had) to buy special Compaq made memory sticks?