Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beetlejoose

Doom95 mouse patch for XP available - now

Never_Again said:
The patch is not needed under Win95. Why are you trying to fix something that ain't broken?

Not all releases of the games contain DMOUSE.VXD. My Collector's Edition CD doesn't have it. For Windows 9x users, this fix can be at least as useful and maybe less obscure than getting the VXD from the shareware package in the idstuff directory.

Thank you so much i need your help though. I have windows xp and bought collectors doom. I dled your patch and was able to get ultimate doom and final doom mouse working. However, the mouse wont work for doom2. When i run doom95mouse in directory for doom 2 it asks me to "select doom95.exe" instead of "install". And when i select doom95.exe nothing happens. Can you please help me?

ffs victory said:

Thank you so much i need your help though. I have windows xp and bought collectors doom. I dled your patch and was able to get ultimate doom and final doom mouse working. However, the mosue wont work for doom2. When i run doom95mouse in directory for doom 2 it asks me to "select doom95.exe" instead of "install". And when i select doom95.exe nothing happens. Can you please help me?

Something to try: uninstall everything Doom95, manually remove the corresponding registry entries and folder, install only ONE Doom95 game (let's make it Doom 2) place the other IWADS in the Doom95 directory where doom2.wad is and finally run the patch.

Switch games from the launcher (Game Parameters/Game WAD file)

Porsche Monty said:

Something to try: uninstall everything Doom95, manually remove the corresponding registry entries and folder, install only ONE Doom95 game (let's make it Doom 2) place the other IWADS in the Doom95 directory where doom2.wad is and finally run the patch.

Switch games from the launcher (Game Parameters/Game WAD file)

I'll defiantly try this if beetle can not help me. Thanks.

Great!

Now with the mouse fix and demo fix, doom95 becomes the best and easier option for watching/recording vanilla demos. Well, at least for me. :)

Thanks a lot man, it works perfectly!

Hand X said:
the best and easier option for watching/recording vanilla demos.

Not on all counts. You shouldn't have a problem recording (except maybe requirements in competitions and demo packs) but watching can fail. See this post for details.

Hello ffs victory, sorry I didn't reply to this earlier - been busy in China... Please forgive me for being dumb when it comes to the technicalities of doom. I'm just a programmer that was given a problem to chew on!

That may be a problem you've found there. The installer and the patch stupidly assume there is only one installation of doom95.exe on the machine. It will actually patch whatever doom95.exe you select but the problem is it stores a couple of extra settings in the registry for only one installation (I developed the patch using only the shareware version of doom95). When the patch dll gets loaded by doom95.exe it tries to load the settings - if it can't then it behaves as if the patch wasn't installed. The dumb thing is these settings it loads are just the extra bonus features I put in for fun! Maybe I should change it so that if it can't load the settings then it behaves as if the bonus features aren't active but still gives you the 'basic' mouse (without 'novert' or smoothing capability).

Ideally the patch dll should be able to detect what it is getting called by and then load the appropriate registry settings for that installation.

I understood that Doom2 uses Doom95.exe and therefore the patch should work but I slipped up assuming that the registry keys would be the same. To be honest - for some reason it didn't occur to me! IS Doom95.exe as used by Doom2 exactly the same exe as plain Doom95?

Can someone post the full key that doom2 uses if its different thanx.

thx for reply beetle but i just tried porshce's suggestion today and it worked so ty porsche. But read my pm beetle.

beetlejoose said:

I understood that Doom2 uses Doom95.exe and therefore the patch should work but I slipped up assuming that the registry keys would be the same. To be honest - for some reason it didn't occur to me! IS Doom95.exe as used by Doom2 exactly the same exe as plain Doom95?

The executable is exactly the same. The solution to the problem is to only have one installation of Doom95, as it's unnecessary to have more than one, because it supports choosing between all the different games if the IWADs are in Doom95's folder.

I've had the idea that I can modify the mouse patch to be able to insert arbitrary command line parameters such as -emulate automatically. These could be configured easily using checkboxes etc. Any thoughts on that?

Drop down lists would be better IMO. Checkboxes could lead to potential user-errors.

Because some parameters need to be exclusive? I've actually already implemented the feature using a simple text box for testing. I'm trying to think of a way to make it more accessible though... Variable parameters complicate it.

Checkboxes, drop-down menus, it doesn't matter. What the user needs is to know the default state of the options. I say checkboxes and a "default setting is unchecked" line somewhere in the GUI should suffice.

Well, what I have is a text box that by default has -emulate in it. Any parameter can be put in there. I've included a simple help form that also has a hyperlink to the doom wiki about doom's parameters. I think that should be ok. It can be ignored and the invisibility works without the user having to find out how to use parameters. Its flexible enough that someone in the know can put in what they want.

So far, so good. Everything I tried worked, but what use is it when implemented this way? placing the commands on a shortcut would be exactly as efficient.

Fair comment. Its just a convenience that was trivial for me to put in. If you are already using the mouse patch then you don't need to figure anything else out. I know a few people who don't even know what shortcuts are let alone modify them with parameters etc. If you don't do anything with it then it still 'appears to fix' the invisibility querk - albeit with a bit of a kludge... I didn't expect anyone at your level to find this truly ground breaking!