Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boris

Building stairs made easy (preview)

sexy time!

well done boris! when can we expect to use this.

amazing! i want i want

what I wonder is can you for a future release make it so stacked sectors are possible. as in an actual circle made into stairs with two-story sectors. just something crazy i thought i'd dream up.

this plug-in is an awesome addition to the dooming community. I miss quick stairs from the original deu and was sad that doom builder no longer had that option. kudos to you!

zephyr said:

what I wonder is can you for a future release make it so stacked sectors are possible. as in an actual circle made into stairs with two-story sectors. just something crazy i thought i'd dream up

Don't you mean 3d floors? Anyway, such engine specific stuff won't be added. However, that plugin can support you when you want to do stuff like that: when you create a stair and uncheck the checkboxes for floor/ceiling height, floor/ceiling flat and upper/lower texture, it will just draw the new sectors over the existing geometry, not touching the heights and texture of the already existing sectors. Then you only have to apply your engine specific tasks to the newly drawn sectors.

This is really awesome. It would make me almost consider using Doom Builder. From what I saw in the first video with the curved stairs it keeps your original lines on the grid? Deepsea's stair prefab was nice but it didn't really care about keeping anything on the grid with curved stairs. And since I love curved stairs, I can't wait to try this.

I am getting an Unhandled Exception when choosing the Stair mode (See DB forum for details on error), but I don't see what I am doing wrong here..I just dropped the DLL into the DB /plugins directory.

I am using version 2.0.1.1157 by the way.

ok, this gives me a good reason to start edit in soombuilder2 instead of doombuilder1.

i have not discovered all the db2 options yet so thats why i still use db1. i think it works easier with no lagging 3D-view mode and so on.

Ah this looks good, I don't feel like installing some unofficial build of DB2 so I can just wait until it comes out. This should make fake-slope building in vanilla Doom a piece of cake!

i like this!!

would help me out very much!

Can you try to get it working on build 1157 of DB2?

any developments on this project ?

not being able to run it on the last version of DB2 is bit silly IMO.

Otherwise, this plugin has enormous potential.

VinceDSS said:

not being able to run it on the last version of DB2 is bit silly IMO.

What's silly is no new version of DB2 yet.

There are other reasons to move to r1250 by the way.

@Boris: That last link for the latest version shows no "Stair Sector Mode" option...do I have to keep the older DLL in the /Plugins dir? Or does the contents have to be unzipped somewhere else?

Slightly confusing at first, but now understanding from last video helps.
But otherwise I like.
I understand Straight and Curve now, but whats that 3rd one? Whats Catmull Rom?

Mithral_Demon said:

I understand Straight and Curve now, but whats that 3rd one? Whats Catmull Rom?

It's a kind of spline. You specify a bunch of control points, and with some black magic math a curved line is generated, which goes through all control points (so it's more intuitive to use than a Bézier curve). The vertices of the steps are then placed on this spline.

From what I see on the Rom, is you can alter the shape of the the stairs with the Control points whilst using Inner/Outer vertices to get an added circular movement (depending on the placement of CP's).

Yes. When you move the control points around you'll see a gray line, that's the spline on which the vertices will be placed. The inner/outer vertex multipliers are just used to make it more smooth without adding more steps.