Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azureace

Whats your Doom Origin?

Doom Age: Origins?

Pretty much playing Doom 2 on a computer at my mum's friends house. I knew of doom before it, but I have no memory of playing it before then, although I know I did. Badly of course.

I don't remember what I read/heard that compelled me to try and get Doom. I was 11, got my first laptop -- complete with wireless internet -- and, after playing/reading about games like Marathon, stumbled across the word Doom. I vaguely remember watching my uncle play Doom years ago when I was little, and it was kind of scary to me at the time. When I finally downloaded the demo years later, however, I wasn't really scared (although I kind of wish the game was as scary as I remember it). I still remember what the webpage looked like -- with the Doomguy HUD face above the download link -- and the feeling of curiosity and excitement as I opened the downloaded demo folder and saw the Doomguy's face again on the icon. I clicked and played, immediately enthralled by the rocking music and corpses laying before me in the Hangar (played on lowest difficulty, of course). Once I grasped the controls and movements, I enjoyed the fuck out of it.

I remember I played that demo for hours every day, beating it several times. I got fairly good: Within months I had accelerated to Ultra-Violence level, although never really bothered to push myself to Nightmare until years later. Eventually I found out Doom had become abandonware and got the full version off Macintosh Garden (yes, I am a Mac user, big whoop), followed by Doom II and Plutonia (which I didn't yet bother to finish). I sort of left the game behind for a while, but have since come back as enthralled now with the game as I was back then to try and take it on in Nightmare mode.

Played Doom at a local computer shop during homecoming '93
(october-ish) The guy working there was a nephew to the owner and a friend of my older brother.
I had seen some of the early alpha/beta screens in magazines before then so I knew what the game was.

And had played Wolf before that too.
Plus the Apple 2 version as well.

Back when I was like 13 or 14, I played Doom for the first time on the Playstation (one). I was totally hooked - the graphics were awesome, the sounds were awesome, the music fucking rocked, and the game was fun as all hell. I got it for Christmas '96 and played it to the point where I started having Doom-themed dreams :D Then a few years later in '99 I played it (Ultimate Doom) for the first time on my then top-of-the-line computer (it seemed top-of-the-line to me at least). Tee-totally got hooked. From there it was no lookin' back. Been hooked on Doom for fourteen years now and I don't think it'll end any time soon.

First time I played doom was when I got a sega 32x around 1998 I think. I went to the local game shop and traded several genesis games plus plunked down cash just to get doom.

It was every bit as awesome as I heard it was. Although awkward using the genesis controller.

It wasn't until maybe a year later than my best friend at the time got the pc version of ultimate doom and I saw how much better the original was to the 32x version.

When my friend had to move town, he gave me his copy of ultimate doom.

I slowly lost interest and came back to doom years later when I found zdoom and jdoom. Now I still play regularly. Only single player though. Never really got into multiplayer.

First time I played doom was in '95 when I got the SNES version. Which was actually difficult, you can't save, and the later episodes were only available on UV.

Anyhow, in '96 a friend of mine decided he was tired of his Doom cds so he gave them to me (I still wonder what was wrong with him).

Then in '97 I got the maximum doom cd, and played through most of that. NJ doom 2 being the first wad I played off that cd.

Then in '98 I started downloading wads en masse until now. (I must have around 6 thousand wads by now :) The first megawad I ever downloaded was requiem.

My first source port was mbf, and then I moved onto zdoom, then to jdoom; then gzdoom, skulltag and prboom+, which are what I use now.

And in January this year I finally started mapping.

It was when I was three. I went to my Grandpa's house and saw him playing DOOM! I was like "ooohhhhh", so I brought a chair up next to the computer and watched him slaughter "badguys" and loved it.

However,
My mom wasn't too happy when she found out that "her little 3 year old was playing DOOM" (Even though I hadn't played yet.) The next time I went over, he went to the bathroom, and I took over. I think the mode was HMP, I dunno. I sucked. Then he flushed and came out, and I quickly jumped back to my chair. He looked at the screen (Where the player was dead) And he chuckled. Then he continued to play.

By the time I was five, I started to become a Doom addict. I didn't have a PC at my house and my Mom didn't like me playing it so she didn't let me get PSX Doom. Every time I visited my Grandpa I played.

Then when I was six or seven, I always complained and wanted to go see Grandpa (to play Doom. (Still didn't have a PC)). By then he bought Final Doom....

Boy, that was nuts! I couldn't even get half past Plutonia.
Then the next time I went over he was playing TNT. I was like:
:O

When I played, I sucked horribly. lol.

Then when I got a PC when I was eleven, the first game I got was Doom.
Pow pow pow, I got really good, and could actually handle UV.
Now, if I play Xbox. I play Doom2. If I'm on the PC. I play Doom...

I even play Doom at school!

I remember back in 2007 and I was 13, I a picked a random game included in my X-BOX's SNES emulator, I picked DOOM, I couldn't believe the graphics were awesome for that age, the levels were awesome and fun, the music rocked (More than the MIDI music), since then after getting Skulltag, I replaced the MIDIs with some MP3s of the SNES's music.

I probally first encountered the Doom Shareware (First Doom Experience) back maybe in 2001 or '03, after I had played Star Wars Dark Forces to death on an older computer with Win 98 on it. I later was watching a video about the Dark Forces game series, when the Narrator mentioned something called Doom. I've heard of it before, But I passed it off because of its age.

I eventually found and downloaded the shareware sometime later, and kinda enjoyed it. I really had no idea what to do or where to go, and I belived I was shooting aliens and stuff the entire time. But like all young kids, or like most kids today who belive that age has everything to do with a game, I kinda passed it off in order to play more Playstation games.

Now, back in maybe '06 maybe, I found an SNES emaluator (So I could play Primal Rage), and found a bunch of other old, but amazingly fun games from the 90's. That's when I devoloped my new game motto, age DOESN'T matter in a game, as long as it has good mechanics, great gameplay, and 100% fun. So then I hunted down the Doom Shareware agian, found it, downloaded it, got a Doom 2 IWAD instead... Played that on Legacy to death... And then its history. I'm a total Doom fan... The games, the Movie, The Comic, the books (Which I have yet to read actually)...

I'm glad I got back into the bloody ordeal, as now I am having so much fun hunting down and buying or downloading all types of old ninties FPS games like Body Count, Chasm The Rift, Carnivores... All of 'em! (All I need is Blood and registered Doom copies... And registered copies of everthing else... I mean, out of all these games, I only actually own, or bought like three lol, CHasm, Carnivores 2, and Jedi Knight... Well I also have Doom and Quake sharewares, but I don't normally count those... Now I'm rambling on about nothing in particular...)

azureace said:

Needless to say mom wasn't happy that i was playing a "satan" game[...]

That's really weird, because it was clear that the player fights against evil creatures from hell. I only had problems, because my father saw a news broadcast, where they said that the game would not be suitable for kids... but clever as I was, I played it in secret on my brother's PC, who also weren't allowed to play this game :-)! We installed it, then deinstalled it, installed it... and it was worth it!

My parents were in the software selling business when I was little, such as ordering in bulk from companies like "Aztec" shareware discs and such.

One day, I noticed the Doom 95 shareware disc. Marine on the rock overwhelmed by Hellknights, all orange/reddish colored and so forth. Upon this interest of the ultimate fantasy of a Space marine, I slapped in the cd and booted it up. From that moment, since I was three years old had spawned an "Obsession".

After the shareware was complete, I felt something missing. So eventually when the full version came around I found exactly what was missing; BFG!

Then I found the Cyber-Demon and Arachnotron and was scared shitless.

I used to go to my friend's house, and one day, he told me about this hilarious game where monsters could turn inside-out (we were 6 at the time). I sat down and gave it a go, and it was fun as hell (Skill 1, of course). I immediately went home and asked my dad for it. Of course, he'd wanted to play it, too, and convinced my mom it was okay. We played back and forth for a while.

When I got to E1M3, it was absolutely nerve-wracking. When I first met the spectre, I screamed and turned off the game. My dad laughed about that one for a while (it gave him a scare the first time, too).

Just the other day I found a copy of my original Doom 2 disk in a CD case I thought I'd lost. I forgot about the bars in front of the first switch on Map02. It was almost like playing it for the first time again. Awesome.

I was about 3 years old when my dad got a share ware version of doom, and i was pretty interested in what he was doing. My mom was really pissed that he let me even look at it, but we were having a good time. After that i kinda looked back at doom as kind of a land mark of gaming for some reason. Later when i got older i picked up a copy of doom collectors edition and played it alot and just a couple months ago i heard of skull tag and got really excited. Now I'm here typing this post hoping no troll will make a stupid remark on my post. :)

It was 1993 and I just got back to my hometown after graduating from College. While visiting my friend and High School band director in his office during school hours, he showed me what had just been released on the BBS network... Shareware Doom.

I was immediately hooked. I now had 2 reasons to own a PC.

Lucas Arts X-Wing and Doom.

The rest is... well, you know.

SNES version 2 days after release, and eventually the slightly better 32X version.

Custom Playstation edition.

Final Doom for PSX.

When I got my first PC in '05, I started playing my brothers copies of the PC versions of Doom 1, 2, and Final through Doom95.

Out of all of these, all I still have are the 32X and PC versions.

First, I saw Wolfenstein 3D on a teacher's computer in middle school computer class (where, inexplicably enough, we were working on Apple ][ machines), and got the shareware for it. Not too long after, I went to my local PC shop to bug the guys working there (because I couldn't exactly afford hardware on my own), and saw them playing something that looked like Wolf3D on their computers... but so much better. "What is that?" I asked innocently, and the guy playing mumbled something about it being a "sequel to Wolfenstein." In retrospect, I realize that he was playing E2M1.

Then my mom got me the full edition of Wolfenstein 3D for my birthday, which just happened to come with some shareware game called Doom. Wolf3D didn't last for long before I became obsessed with Doom, and eventually got Doom 2 as well and became obsessed with that. Then Doom fell by the wayside as Quake, Quake II, and other games filled the itch for new games.

A few years passed. Then, during college, I was looking for new games so I had an excuse not to go to class, and I discovered that some people were not only updating Doom for modern computers, they were making their own levels as well. So, sometime in mid-2002, I picked up Doom again and, after playing through the original two games, played Evilution and Plutonia for the first time, and dove into PWADs headfirst. Then I signed up here, did music for the occasional PWAD or two, and racked up more hours playing Doom than probably any other game in my life. I don't play it nearly as much as I used to, but I still search out the good WADs out there on occasion.

Let's see.

It was the year 1998 (I was only three) and my family had a DOS comp,which was the only one in the house. My uncle brought in a Shareware game by the name of Doom. Christ,it was the ride of his life. While he was in the bathroom. I played it. It was laggy as hell,because the computer was obviously crap,but damn,that game was scary. THEN when my sister left college when I was 5,she let me have her computer. This was running Windows 95. So my dad bought the full verison of Doom. Damn. I told my dad how awesome it was. He brought another verison of Doom for us to play while he was on his trips. So we'd play multiplayer on that thing (Of course my Mom had to connect the computers together for network play,what five year old can do that?). So I think I consider myself an O.F (Original Fragger).

And well,after that it was history...