Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Dumbest/Cheapest ways to die

List your personal "WTF?"-inducing deaths in various WADs. Crushing ceilings, surprise ambushes, forced platforming, etc.

Not that I'm trying to gather ideas or anything...*cough*

Cleimos, level3: There's a room with a wall and a big X made out of armor bonuses in front of it. Open the wall, a Cyberdemon comes out - and goodbye...

Still my favorite deathtrap in all of Doom.

running around a map with low health and being unable to determine whether a (debatable) animating flat will damage you or not without having to die. Especially poop water and blood.

Also putting an archvile in the exit room is really mean.

Bumping in an infinitely tall torch and because of that, being pushed into an instadeath pit in UACUltra final map (near the secret area).

Put a/some archvile and give you a pistol/chainsaw... oh f***...

Put shitload of archviles in a small room but with rocket launcher only... /facepalm

You only have chaingun/shotgun/super shotgun, and face two or more of cyberdemons. *Shut the game off*

EDIT : Some more.

Put a BFG9000 in a small room with a lot of goodies, when you want to go in, instant kill you because it a floor that deal 9999 damage. *sigh*

A passage to exit room but has big invisible pit, and you can't see it then you fall and stuck on there, and suddenly you saw a cyberdemon on there and it shoot a rocket to you... *splat!*

EDIT 2 : Sorry, I can't remember the wad name. :p

Graf Zahl said:

Cleimos, level3: There's a room with a wall and a big X made out of armor bonuses in front of it. Open the wall, a Cyberdemon comes out - and goodbye...

Still my favorite deathtrap in all of Doom.

Heh yeah that was a good one. They toned it down in the repeat levels in Cleimos 2 though, by replacing it with a manc, and the two barons with two knights (I think).

TRWTF is that I tried and tried until I was actually able to beat(!) the Cyberdemon one-on-one with the weapons at my disposal, in that tiny space . And then I found out I could just run to the right and squeeze into that crack in the wall _-_

That same level also had a BFG trap in a closed room with a crusher, from which you couldn't escape once you entered it...(which was through a teleporter).

And now that you mention it that level was FUCKING FULL of traps. My favourite one was however that "computer room" with the lowering columns: it's possible to become stuck without dying as they are coming down.

Other than that...I have monsters biting me from ledges, monsters BLOCKING me from above/below causing me to become trapped (very common in vanilla), forced platforming (especially jumping, in a game that wasn't supposed to have jumping nor is it anywhere near predictable).

Also, sudden lack of autoaim when using the RL up/down a staircase. It will either magically climb them/descent or blast your ass off.

40oz said:

running around a map with low health and being unable to determine whether a (debatable) animating flat will damage you or not without having to die. Especially poop water and blood.

Especially when said 'poop water and blood' doesn't damage you elsewhere.

Chaingunners behind mid-tex 'walls' are the worst.

Haven't encountered these much lately, though. Thankyou mappers.

In Deus vult map03, there is a cyberdemon trap on the left of the big red tunnel. Do not pass teh red line.

Somehow surviving a huge assault wave of revenants, hell knights, cacoes, barons, you name it, even a cyberdemon or two, then when all those guys are dead, you are killed by a lone imp, or shotgunner, who you had forgotten about temporarily because you were trying not to die.

Beating the crap of a Cyberdemon up until his last couple hitpoints, just in time for it to fire the luckiest rocket in the world, just as you're dealing the final blow with one of your own weapons and effectively killing each other.

But that was a good day.

I've also watched a cyberdemon explode in front of my deathcam view seconds after it killed me. But it wasn't me that delivered the killing blow, it was another monster, that it pissed off at some point while clumsily trying to kill me, that killed it.

Probably not one of the worst ways to die on here, but I just find it cheap that you can fire four BFG shots into the thing's chest and do nothing, but then a demon bites it on the ankle and it explodes.

How about clearing out an entire room full of imps and hell knights and losing about 95% of your health and then right before you pick up a medikit, a zombieman pops you in the head?

I love when a Cyberdemon shoots a rocket in a direction you didn't expect (mainly because you are running behind a wall or pillar) and then you run right in its trajectory.

Heh, the classic "spawn/reveal a bunch of enemies in front of the player when you pick up the rocket launcher" is always a fun one. :P

If custom monsters are allowed into this discussion, I remember being particularly infuriated while fighting a certain cyberdemon recolor (Thamuz) whose favorite mode of attack is firing an almost completely undodgable homing projectile that insta-kills you (or at least did give the amount of health available at that point (100/100)). It makes revenant projectiles look like pebbles.

Homing missiles in general usually raise the pain factor exponentially-ish, because they're often done in a way that makes them nearly impossible to dodge, instead of just difficult to. I've always liked Nitrogolems for the fact that their projectiles can peg an unwary player yet are very possible to dodge if you're paying attention. Even Revenants aren't so bad in the homing department compared to some types (Descent's homing missiles come to mind...) since you can outrun them if all else fails.

Still, the worst situation, by far, is saving your game right before you die in such a spot that it's now impossible to escape death. That's more of a "stupid player" issue most of the time, though. :P

Archvile behind a fake wall, you have no clue were is he, so you try to cover while the flame animation is near completition, only to find you're in the wrong way.

Scripted cutscene revealing that a cyberdemon appears RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!!! You are paralyzed for the duration of the cutscene, and sometimes, randomly, you hear the rocket volley starting just a second before controls are restored.

This is still the part in Void.wad that I hate the most. Even worse is that it autosave right before the cutscene.

Map01 of PsychoPhobia on Hard (HMP): Going outside between buildings not knowing there are three homing rocket launcher zombie snipers in the distance. These rockets will obliterate you like no other...

Not directly related to the cause of death, but on several occasions I've died and had my corpse land directly on a medikit.

I hate Chaingunner snipers that are not only at a great distance, a great height, are difficult to see due to light issues, but also there are a bunch of enemies lower than him which the auto-aim may be distracted by.

Medikit:

Berserk:

Evil Marine:

Sergeants - Before :)

Sergeants - After :(

The cheapest death of them all is to have less than 20% health, a radiation suit and die when standing on a damaging floor despite having that suit on.

That Spawned exploding barrel in the beginning of map20 of Kama Sutra. First time it happen it made me speechlees O_O

The rocket launcher room in Doom 2's Downtown where the pinkies teleport in.

I hated the barrels that flew from the fake walls in UAC Ultra (I forget which map). It took me several deaths to figure out what was going on.

And dying by chaingunners. Or a lucky zombieman shot halfway across a map.

flubbernugget said:

I hated the barrels that flew from the fake walls in UAC Ultra (I forget which map). It took me several deaths to figure out what was going on.

The end of MAP06? It's a teleporter to a room where you telefrag a Romero Head (to end the level) and barrels (to ensure player death, hence Pistol start in the next map). They're all through the Scythe series but we probably should have mentioned it in the text file, sorry :/

I hate having no ammo and being forced to fight hordes of monsters. Legacy of Suffering Ahem ahem. It tried to recreate painkiller style gameplay while mixing it with Doom 3. I'm not really into that kind of gameplay. I like to run around, kill shit, and solve puzzles. Not fight endless hordes of monsters teleporting in and running out of ammo.

I think the angriest I've ever gotten at a map was 2002: ADO E1M9's BFG secret. I didn't find the area until after I'd cleared out every monster, so I couldn't access the invul. sphere I didn't even notice, and whaddya know? AN UNAVOIDABLE CRUSHER.

It was a ragequit like none other.

E1M3, falling in the waste pit right at the beginning.
That or getting sniped by a zombieman.