Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why do people from skulltag keep posting here and not on skulltag?

Ooops my bad, GZDoom. Almost (but not quite) the same thing

The [img] [/img] tag is your friend.

The section of wall above the Blue door could do with unpegging and maybe build a few console screens or other features into the walls to break up the monotony.

Heh. YOU GOT DA SKILLZ, NIGGA!
[/nonserious]

I think maybe you should make basic maps before fooling around with more advance stuff (eg: skulltag monsters, but thats just my opinion)

A large percentage of us started mapping about that age as well. It's not an excuse.

What Nomad stated. Your age doesn't directly affect the way you map, it's knowledge based. Take Chris Wright for example, he's more than twice your age and struggles to produce a decent map, instead they all turn out to be either fairly subpar, or completely abysmal.

With time and experience, you'll be able to produce something of good quality. Give it time.

Nah, there are other people who have started out relatively recently, too. If you enjoy doing it, keep at it.

I'm going to go with my usual recommendation of studying maps that you really love, and trying to pick apart what makes them work so well. It's a good learning experience, I think.

just_a_DooM-er said:

And cut me some slack I'm only fucking 14 **

I made this when I was 14. It's not great, but I just looked at what other mappers did and made maps based on those ideas (at least with texture use and locales). I'm far better at mimicking a style than coming up with one of my own, but that comes with time and practice.

Keep at it long enough and you can make some pretty cool stuff, like this or for other projects like this.

[/shameless self promotion]

I'd go with Esselfortium's suggestion, because that's the approach I took when I first started mapping. I lurked on doomworld reading newstuff reviews and looking at screenshots, and I played through a lot of megawads before I decided to start making maps.

My best suggestion is to stick with the original Doom resources for now. Steer away from advanced source port features. If you feel your map really needs these features, try to be innovative and design something that gives the illusion of those features instead, or come up with a workaround. Custom resources should be avoided as a beginner because there have been many other people like you who dove right into mapping by applying tons of ripped resources to their first maps and the results are pretty much always bad. However, this isn't always true if you can create custom textures, monsters, sprites etc. yourself for something truly original.

I think it's certainly possible as a beginner to make good use of custom resources and port features, but they do have a tendency to mask mistakes that are good to get through and learn from.

just_a_DooM-er said:

It's unfortanate tfor me the doom community has shrunk,

That shouldn't stop you from making doom maps.

Half Eaten Carcass said:

My wad is looking top form almost as evil as UAC Labs by Eric Harris

I hope I'm allowed to post this: Here you see how mentally ill Eric Harris and Charles Manson were. Just listen to the sick music!