Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Odamex

Who here plays it?

I downloaded it couple weeks ago completely underrating how it was gonna be. I've yet to play online yet with real people though. I've been checking the server list pretty frequently every day but have yet to see anyone playing. Occasionally I join a coop server but i get sick of playing traditional megawads on my own after a map or two. It would be more entertaining if they were on nightmare mode however.

I might host a server or two to spark something new once in a while.

Basically I'm just asking if there are any people who check the server list frequently but just are choosing not to join empty servers, or if it's just that no one cares about it? I'd be more motivated to play on my own knowing there's a possibility that someone random will join up.

Let's play now.

Also people play it usually if you join a serv. Also there are sometimes people in #odamex on irc.oftc.net looking for games

Believe it or not there are a lot of people that play Odamex. If you hang out in #odamex on OFTC and ask for games chances are someone will speak up and join you. Usually if you sit in a deathmatch or CTF server people will join after a while too. Heck last night there was a 3vs3 CTF going on. Between 8 p.m. to 12 p.m. Central time is usually when things get lively.

Whenever I want to play online, I usually check Odamex first before Skulltag and if anybody is playing on a server I'll definitely join.

That was a great game Ralphis (even though you wrecked me) I'm still trying to get the hang of it. It's surprising how much Skulltag deviates from traditional Doom behavior. I gotta get my mouse sensitivity settings the way I like em, and get used to uncapped frame rate and the red pain tinting on the screen. It's good to know it gets played. I'm gonna try to be more active in the odamex scene. odactf1.wad has got some awesome maps btw.

This thread inspired me to play Odamex and I am a fan. Odamex feels like the first time I ever DM'd in Doom.

Had some serious Knee Deep in the Dead Coop on Nightmare with CSonicGo and some other people. Awesome stuff!

I had it on my flash drive for when I got bored at work. Had a heck of a time trying to run it on those dang Macs...

I've played DM on Odamex a few times under the alias "The 2008 Lions" (a name I often use in online multiplayer). I mostly sucked, but it was a blast.

EDIT: also if anybody's up for it I'll be hanging around UDMX for the next half hour or so.

Its always good to see more people playing.

For anyone that hasn't given Odamex a shot yet, be sure to try to get some games in now! If you already gave Odamex a shot and were disappointed, give it another.

I was gonna give it a shot actually, but the Mac OS X version only works on Snow Leopard (!0.6), and I'm still using Leopard (10.5). Still, I'm hoping to upgrade my laptop in a month or two, so I'm totally up for some games then. :D

Reevys said:

I was gonna give it a shot actually, but the Mac OS X version only works on Snow Leopard (!0.6), and I'm still using Leopard (10.5). Still, I'm hoping to upgrade my laptop in a month or two, so I'm totally up for some games then. :D

That should not be the case. What leads you to believe it is 10.6 only?

Reevys said:

I was gonna give it a shot actually, but the Mac OS X version only works on Snow Leopard (!0.6), and I'm still using Leopard (10.5).

The Odamex site says 10.4 or higher, so you should be fine.

When it was posted on the main page a week or two ago, I downloaded that one. It refused to run, quitting straight away. So I checked the text file and the website, and one of them said it only runs on 10.6. Can't remember exactly where, but I definitely remember reading it.

The last time a build was put up on the Odamex site was in December when we released 0.4.4. Did you download the install package from sourceforge as linked from the front page of Odamex? It should work on 10.4+ with either ppc or Intel. I build all the dependencies and the bins with the 10.4 SDK.

OK, this is very embarrassing. I was actually getting it confused with ZDaemon, for some reason. Sorry guys, thanks for trying so hard to rectify my non-existent situation. Think I'll go give it a download then.

I know a guy who might be interested in trying out Doom, however his notebook is a mac. Odamex might come in real handy for him.

Yeah it is, I've gotten used to it though. It seems like a fair handicap, kinda like in Counterstrike where getting shot obstructs your movement speed.

And it's a perfect match for how monster pain chances work. An SSG is more likely to stall a monster, and likewise blinds a player more. Ports that change it may as well change how monster pain states function.

Hm. I never really thought of it that way

myk said:

And it's a perfect match for how monster pain chances work. An SSG is more likely to stall a monster, and likewise blinds a player more. Ports that change it may as well change how monster pain states function.

I actually disagree. In my opinion, pain shouldn't disorient the player. that's why the Chaingun is such a damned pain because of the way doom does damage. it can redden a player's screen in no time. Other games simply flash, which is enough to take damage. in my opinion, the screen should be tinted red, not painted. I think the Gothic DM wads did this, but I'm not sure.

It's also more competitive. When you deal a lot of damage to a player it makes it more likely they'll miss their next shot (which might be you, or your flag runner), so there's even more incentive to aim perfectly. This is one of the reasons Skulltag isn't as competitive as ZDaemon - no pain screen.

It also outlines one of the interesting evolutions in Doom source ports, as time goes on things have become less harsh: red screen not as bad or non-existent, SSG dealing less damage, shooting getting easier (blockmap algorithm), so when you play a port that hasn't modified those basic aspects of Doom it feels brutal and off-putting. Personally I think this is a disservice to gamers - one of the things I like about Doom is how unforgiving it is compared to softer games like Quake and UT (which are for pussies), but I'm not a pussy so....

Also, I don't think the red pain screen in Odamex is that bad or different from the other engines to begin with. One problem is XWE and its palette editor, which makes the red pain palettes ridiculously brutal. A common wad played on Odamex is UDMX and, unfortunately, XWE did this to UDMX's palette. In games without XWE edited custom palettes, the red pain screen isn't even that harsh.