Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

If back in 1995-96 id made a DOOM 3...

If back in the good oldschool DOOM days id Software made a DOOM 3 game using DOOM engine. How would you like maps to be organized, episodes al a DOOM, linear (DOOM 2 like), hubs may be, or perhaps combinations (2 or more episodes that are spitted in 2 or more sub episodes in a DOOM 2 like way).

Also what kind of weapon/s and monsters would you think (or want) they'd have added?

It would have been final doom.

I think it would have been between Final Doom and Quake.

A single, linear "campaign" with maybe 40 maps. They would have added something like four new monsters with weird gimmicks and stupid names. Like maybe the Obesotron, a mancubus recolor that becomes temporarily invulnerable when pained. The Regenant that heals itself so you have to kill it with massive damage. The Pain in the Assental that randomly teleports around when hurt, using player starts as its destinations. The Explodude that damages you if you are too close to it during its death throes. There would be monster spitters in many levels, which would have to be completed ASAP because of that. There would be a single new weapon, the triple-barreled hypershotgun. The secret levels would be themed after Hovertank 3D, and you'd have to kill Rover the dog to access them.

It would be overall very lame.

Wow, after all those 3 blade razors the triple-barreled hypershotgun seems obvious, yet I would have never imagined this invention. 350 HP damage per shot, I guess, and the reload time = 2 x of regular shotgun?

And the arch-viles would enter their pain state with 98% probability

Mr. Freeze said:

Quake IS Doom 3. Romero said it himself.

But then he made Daikatana, and certain bitch businesses he had didn't go along too well. For all purposes and effects, Final Doom was "Doom 3" for me.

If, however, they made YET ANOTHER Doom engine game without any .exe enhancements whatsoever, they would probably hire some outside mappers again. Or make something tailor-made for Doom95's -slightly higher- limits.

And then, if Quake was "Doom 3", that would make Quake II and III be "Doom 4" and "Doom 5" respectively, so when the actual Doom 3 came out there would be so much name confusion that the AVGN would take a painful and stingy mushy diarrhea dump. And then Quake IV would be what, "Doom 6" ? Or they'd retroactively rename all the games in the series:

• Doom -> Doom: From Phobos to Inferno
  • Ultimate Doom -> Doom: The Lost Episode
  • Doom 2-> Doom: Hell on Earth
  • Final Doom -> Doom: TNT/The Plutonia experiment
  • Quake -> Doom: the Strogg invasion
  • Quake 2 -> Doom: the Strogg invasion revisited
  • Quake 3 -> Doom: Deathmatch Arena
  • Doom 3 -> Doom: RELOADED
  • Quake 4 -> Doom: The return of the Strogg
  • Doom 4 -> Doom: Redemption
plus non-canon stuff like Doom64 -> Doom: Absolution

K!r4 said:

What? There are stroggs on Quake 1?

I was wondering the same thing lol. Though I guess it could be the pre-cyborg race... they do have the same logos. So maybe Quake II is really a sequel to Quake 1 :o

Maes said:

Ultimate Doom -> Doom: The Lost Episode

The Lost Episode? That's Episode 5, silly, not 4. :P

[DISCLAIMER: Play at your own risk.]

Gez said:

The secret levels would be themed after Hovertank 3D, and you'd have to kill Rover the dog to access them.

This is the DW Post of the Month!

Maes said:

• Doom -> Doom: From Phobos to Inferno
  • Ultimate Doom -> Doom: The Lost Episode

No, let's call that a tie. ;)

Maes said:

Doom 3 -> Doom: RELOADED

LOL

Romero was on a different planet when he said Quake was Doom 3. Everybody knows Midway made Doom 3 after Quake was released. They just called it Doom 64 as a general piss-take of sequelitis.

And yes, I am full of shit :)

Taking a slightly less cynical view, if id had made D3 in 1995, I reckon it might have been something like this and this combined.

Vegeta said:

If back in the good oldschool DOOM days id Software made a DOOM 3 game using DOOM engine. How would you like maps to be organized [...] what kind of weapon/s and monsters would you think (or want) they'd have added?

Optimal case: Id Software should had created something between Plutonia 2 and Cube 1 = Doom 3 Retro :-P!

I wish they did make an official sequel to Doom 2 with new monsters and maybe a new weapon and power-up. I couldn't guess how they would have made it, just what my own preferences are.

I like the episodic progression of (Ultimate) Doom. I prefer starting from scratch after 8 or 9 maps, it keeps things fresh.

Monsters added would be better used to fill gaps in gameplay - Like the semi-boss monsters did in Doom 2. Stealth Imps and Plasma Zombies would feel like a natural progression from the original games. Hit-scan and rapid-fire projectile floating monsters and a tougher, maybe charging melee monster I think would add depth to gameplay. Definitely a new non-icon type boss would be called for.

Weapon-wise a powerful melee weapon that requires ammo (plasma chainsaw anyone?) and for power-ups I can only think of a Quad Damage type sphere.

Mr. Freeze said:

Quake IS Doom 3. Romero said it himself.

Romero was the only person at id that didn't want Quake to end up like Doom. Kinda ironic.

scalliano said:

Everybody knows Midway made Doom 3 after Quake was released.

I consider Doom 64 the final chapter in the Doom series. I liked how it wrapped it's self up at the end.

Yeah I'd say doom 64 was the pinnacle of classic Doom.

40oz said:

Yeah I'd say doom 64 was the pinnacle of classic Doom.

...And I'm glad that I got rid of it :-P .

DeumReaper said:

I consider Doom 64 to be Doom 3 considering the progression between all three games and what they kept.

Yeah, pretty much. Doom 64 has always been the "real" Doom 3 for me.

At the risk of spamming I would have to agree with Doom 64 being the proper Doom 3. A really nice trilogy all wrapped up in a lovely package.

Though, answering the OP, a Doom engine based game would had to have added to the game in all ways to have pleased the critics methinks. Doom 2, however good it is, isn't a massive leap over the first game and if Doom 3 had grown in the same increment I think it would've been panned.

What it would've needed would've been bigger, more expansive maps, coloured lighting, 3d floors, slopes and a bevvy of new beasties to waste as well as a couple of surprise weapons. I also think it a no-brainer that online play would've been a prime component. All in all Skulltag crossed with KDIZD would do it! :)

To me Doom 64 looked like how Doom 2 should have been made, not Doom 3. Quake was Doom 3 most obviously, but the id guys didn't want to revisit the Hell/Mars theme, and instead they toasted it all into a bad mix of story indecision, resulting in Quake 1. Dumb.

Imagine how Quake 1 would have been if the id guys were coherent with the storyline, and decided it to continue the Doom saga, with an all new 3d engine and killer multiplayer to power it. Doom 3: Quake would have been yet another hit called "Doom". I doubt the real Doom 3 is such a hit.