Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

"America's Army 3" - best video game for free; officially created by the US Military

Here you can download the freeware game America's Army 3 via Steam. The great Unreal Engine 3 was used for the graphics. It looks like Call Of Duty 4, very impressive!

Watch the trailer. The game is for multiplayer online action, but there are many singleplayer training missions too.
I already tested it online and I really like what I see. The game's purpose is to get US citizens recruited in the US Army. Great idea!

"Download AA3 Today and Become a Member of the elite America's Army Team! Start playing America's Army 3 today. America's Army fans and new players alike can now experience America's Army 3, the official U.S. Army game, which has more authentic military elements including training, technology, weapons, and audio than any other military game. Built on Unreal Engine 3, AA3 delivers stunningly realistic characters, environments, lighting effects, animations, and team-based experiences. In the game where Every Detail Counts™, players are bound by Rules of Engagement (ROE) and gain experience as you navigate challenges in team-based, multiplayer, force-on-force operations. With 15 different map/mission combinations and exclusive advanced training that allows you to unlock new abilities and customize your gear, you'll experience Soldiering in the U.S. Army like never before. Find strength like no other in a game like no other. Start your mission now! When you play AA3 on Steam, you'll earn Steam Achievements, ranking up among your friends as you earn distinguished status, badges, medals and ribbons. With AA3 on Steam, you can also save your keyboard bindings to the Steam Cloud - just login to your Steam account and fire up AA3 on any PC to utilize your custom settings."

Unless you can behead some hapless Iraqi and Afghani kids with your M-16, and generally cause some "collateral damage" in the name of "freedom", I'm not playin' it.

Deeforce said:

via Steam.

Thanks but I'll pass.

The game is for multiplayer online action, but there are many singleplayer training missions too.

Lost all interest by now...

I tried playing AA1

"you must train yourself before joining on online server!"

does tedious "training"

uninstall

I liked the training before joining online server. Helps keeps people from asking very basic questions about gameplay/control during a battle. After training people can focus on strategy during an online game rather than binding keys and adjusting settings.

BlackFish said:

You haven't really trained until you put that Sergeant that tells you "Here is the henhouse, you're the hen and I'm the rooster!" in his place.

BlackFish said:

I tried playing AA1

In AA3 you can go online immediately. Why playing an old version?

The program "America's Army 3" is very great! Just look what else is in there, yes(!), not only the game itself:

Downloading it just because it's free. This is the US Army recruiting program, though, isn't it?

Unless it's laced with some batshit insane mind bending subliminals, I doubt you have to worry about joining the military. Unless you believe they're going to stalk you because they know you downloaded the game.

Danarchy said:

This is the US Army recruiting program, though, isn't it?

Of course it is. You think the Army developed a free video game from the kindness of their hearts? This ties in with those Army Experience Centers where they let anyone drop by to play COD4 or whatever. "Wanna do this in real life? Sign up!"

Edit: Here's a better article.

Hmmm...

Not sure how to feel about this.

The US military goes on a massive recruiting campaign using...video games. It's perfect.

I wonder what this will net after acouple years.

This still leads to the question on why the fuck the American government loves the Unreal 3 Engine so much, considering 75% of people can't play their games without an extremely low FPS. Anyways, I prefer Insurgency over this game, both in performance and game play. Not to mention it has a much better community IMO as well as the fact that I'm not being brainwashed into joining the army.

Gez said:

Hahaha yeah that sounds about right. I have a lot of friends who joined the army. From what I understand that's pretty much all they do, but to their credit they make it sound cooler than it really is.

ArmouredBlood said:

I dled it to see if I could use the AA editor to work on mirror's edge. I'm not sure where the editor is ...

Uhh, it uses the Unreal 3 engine... so try Unreal Editor.

AveryMaurice said:

Uhh, it uses the Unreal 3 engine... so try Unreal Editor.

But you have to pay 10-20$ for unreal 3. Whereas with some modding I could edit ME for free. My lack of job both hinders and contributes to my mapping -.-

ArmouredBlood said:

But you have to pay 10-20$ for unreal 3. Whereas with some modding I could edit ME for free. My lack of job both hinders and contributes to my mapping -.-

UDK was released for free earlier this year, comes with Unreal Editor built right in.

It can't be called "realistic" unless it includes:

• Being transfered in some shithole unit or combat zone at your superior's whim/because you didn't have the right "connections".
  • Being punished if your bunk, boots and uniform ain't spic & span. AND WHY DIDN'T YOU SHAVE?!
  • On the converse, playing all the game behind a desk in some "champagne unit" if you are "connected", and earning medals and ranks faster, too :-p
  • Being constantly reminded of your "duty to your country", even though the US army is 100% professional volunteers, and your missions are more to safeguard corporate/oil industry interests, rather than defending your homesoil or avenging Pearl Harbor. This ain't WW 2 or the Civil War!
  • Given shit/attitude when you try to claim monetary advancements/bonuses/medals and acknowledgements for certain duties/services you performed.
  • Being treated like shit in favour of other, more "connected" people in your unit, even if it's a shitfhole.
  • Being arrested by provosts if you do any stupid shit

LOL Very true! It could also use:

• simulations of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" scenarios (maybe losing a teammate...)
  • peace protestors
  • rules of engagement that change in real time due to political whims
  • soldiers losing their minds
  • equipment that doesn't fit the mission

And let's not forget:

• Unwillingly signing and therefore accepting incomplete equipment issue lists as "complete" (which means you're accountable for every item on the list, even if you didn't actually receive it, and which you later have to return to your quartermaster) because the guy you took the gear from told you "come on, buddy, all old timers did the same! They ain't gonna nail you, now!".
  • Being detached from your unit for ceremonial tasks, honorary picquets etc. and wasting your time doing rifle drills and practice marching under the sun. All this without ANY change in your regular duties, so bye-bye rest.
  • Compulsory fasting/meat abstinence imposed on the meals and issued rations during religious festivities, even if you are not observant. YOU try going for a whole week with legumes and pickles...
  • Picking up trash/leaves/cigarette butts if you're a lowly grunt "in standby", because grunts must ALWAYS be doing something (dunno how true this is in a 100% professional army, they might have moved to private contractors for shit like that).
Other than that, these games make "being in the Army" appear far more glamorous and heroic that it actually is. You're never going to see Hollywood Action Hero-like "ass blasting action" where you spout heroic aphorisms while blasting "terrorists" and "charlie" like Chuck Norris in Delta Force.

I'd hate to simplify the concept, so read some real combat accounts from actual soldiers to see what you're really in for.

But let's say that most of the time it will be anonymous fire exchanges behind cover, and (if you are on a side with many means) covering from your own artillery/air support and then moving in to pick up the remains. Oh and dying/getting maimed by an IED or some kid dropping a grenade in your Humvee's open window.

Maes said:

Oh and dying/getting maimed by an IED or some kid dropping a grenade in your Humvee's open window.

And then the cutscene for your funerals features Fred Phelps explaining to everybody that God killed you because you were defending a nation that protects homosexuals.

Aliotroph? said:

• equipment that doesn't fit the mission

How about not being issued a flak jacket because the Army can't afford enough and then some internet site decides to raise money to supply you with some. Then they get an unprecedented number of donations, but it all gets confiscated by PayPal for "suspicious activities".

Danarchy said:

How about not being issued a flak jacket because the Army can't afford enough and then some internet site decides to raise money to supply you with some. Then they get an unprecedented number of donations, but it all gets confiscated by PayPal for "suspicious activities".

Or being told that your vest of choice "isn't traditional", getting it replaced with a standard vest, and dying when your first choice would've saved your life?

THAT is the problem with the Armed Forces: the Brass' refusal to integrate new technologies and equipment. Ever wonder why we still use the M16 and M4? Hint: It isn't because of quality, its because that's what we used back then. And if we used it back then, surely it's good now, right?

Mr. Freeze said:

Ever wonder why we still use the M16 and M4? Hint: It isn't because of quality, its because that's what we used back then.

The formal term you're looking for is "logistics".

And anyway, there has hardly been an advancement in firearms significant enough to justify immediate adoption and scrapping of existing arsenals. You'd still get an assault rifle that shoots NATO 5.56 cartridges, only with more plastic instead of metal. What should Greek military say, we're still using 7.92 mm rounds which are inferior in both range, accuracy, and long-range penetration vs bullet-proof vests.