Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alando1

Temple of the Lizard Men 2 Notice

Hello everyone. Recently I uploaded Temple of the Lizard Men 2 and someone who got a first look at it told me they were confused with one of the weapons. When the wad is posted, please refer to this thread for help.

Anyway, this gentleman said he was curious how to reload the shotgun. In this sequal, I did create a weapon with the proper shot counter. Of course I also designed the shotgun to switch out when the current ammo in the gun is depleated. Now when you come to a point where you need to reload the shotgun, use your **alt-fire** key to reload more shells into the gun.

Unfortunately I don't have it automatically reloading. The reason, of course, is because if you are in a situation where reloading during a combat scenario occurs, you'll wind up being torn to shreads even before your gun is loaded. So I have it switching to another weapon that either is fast in firing rate or has a faster reload than the shotgun does.

Now to some this may seem annoying but this was the only way to script the gun. I tried other ways but it wound up doing weird things. So in the meantime, don't get trigger happy with the shotgun.

Reload when you get the chance.

Sorry if this is any big inconvenience to all of you but I'm still trying to get the hang of making my weapons better and more sophisticated. Hope this thread helps those in need.

-Alando1

The wad is still being processed on idgames guys so it will be available soon. But this is just a heads up notice so when it is available for the public, at least you'll know about the shotgun issue.

-Alando1

Of course I also designed the shotgun to switch out when the current ammo in the gun is depleated. Now when you come to a point where you need to reload the shotgun, use your **alt-fire** key to reload more shells into the gun.

WHY DO THIS? It's extremely irritating especially when the other weapon that reloads doesn't do this.

I have a question for you TheDarkArchon - would you rather be reloading, find yourself in a corner and get torn to shreds while the gun is loading 8 individual shells or would you rather have some weapon to defend yourself when your shotgun runs out and there's no time to reload 8 shells?

If you think realistically, if there was some bad dude (probably and easy enemy) coming after you with a melee weapon and you had 2 weapons on you - You have a pistol and a shotgun - the shotgun ran out of shells from a previous combat situation and you still have some on reserve - would you want to take those 8 to 15 seconds to load 8 shells into your gun when you have about 3 seconds until the enemy reaches you and there's nowhere else to run (trapped in corner)? I'd whip out the pistol and start firing if I was you; after taking the enemy down, then I would load up the shotgun.

Sure the little thing I did with the shotgun is some what odd and annoying but it adds realism to the game. When I look back on the Alando Guns wad with the shotgun I had in there, the reloading gives your enemy the advantage to try and kill you, especially when there is little cover. So I figured that it would be best that if the player had at least something to defend themselves with, it would buy them some time to get their butts out of the situation and find cover.

With Temple of the Lizard Men 2, I leave it up to the player's own judgment to decide whether it would be wise to reload or not. This would also act as the "fight or flight" scenario - to choose whether to back off and regroup, or be all "gun ho" and go to town on the opposition.

So, I know this is something that may not be your cup of tea, but I want you to understand why I did this to the shotgun. Sorry for any inconvenience. If this does become a greater issue, I'll develop something that people could use to override the shotgun - this would be a patch to add.

-Alando1

why don't you do a normal thing and...uhh...make it possible to shoot after u reloaded 1 shell?!

Killer2, you just gave me an idea for a patch to replace the shotgun! :)

By the way, for everyone, I will be fixing up TOTLM2. I got word from a tester that there were some things he pointed out that slipped my mind. I emailed Ty Halderman and asked if he can hold off on posting it on idgames. I will be doing major fixes.

From this point on, DON'T PLAY THE CURRENT TOTLM2 WAD! I will be doing adjustments.

I thank MegaDoomer for testing it out and giving me useful feedback.

Back to the drawing board I go.

-Alando1

You know, you could just leave the shotgun in your hands empty, and let the player either switch to an other weapon or reload (and then add a "toggle autoreload option"). For extra points, give your shotgun a melee attack that you can use when you're out of ammo but don't have time to reload or change weapons.

alando1 said:

I have a question for you TheDarkArchon - would you rather be reloading, find yourself in a corner and get torn to shreds while the gun is loading 8 individual shells or would you rather have some weapon to defend yourself when your shotgun runs out and there's no time to reload 8 shells?

I generally don't find myself in a situation where I consider the need to switch. I found myself being more annoyed at the weapon switching than reloading automatically. The best solution, in my opinion, is for an empty weapon to simply not fire and make a dry fire sound in this case. That way the player decide if they want to reload or switch without the game forcing their hand.

I will give you credit, though. This is much better than your previous works, even though there are still flaws.

No need to worry guys. I will be reworking a few of those things and the wad will be re-released after I fix all the things. TOTLM2 has been removed from the archives for the moment. I will inform all of you when I re-upload it.

Thank you all for your input.

-Alando1

If you reupload this please make sure to have a look at the console output before doing a release. It has been quite some time that I have seen a mod throw this many errors. In fact the only thing I remember to be as bad was its own predecessor.

Engine warnings during startup are there so that you can fix your errors, not to ignore them. And there's one highly critical message here that will definitely cause you trouble.

Also, how about making this a proper PK3 instead of just a WAD dump?

You don't have to worry, Graf Zahl. I'm currently fixing a whole mess of things. I appreciate your concern but I just want to let you know that I will be re-uploading a nice, error free, wad. I have someone testing it right now and is picking out all the flaws. MegaDoomer is assisting me with the testing. So far progress is looking good.

I can guarantee that TOTLM2 will be a whole lot better than the first. I'm sure you wont see a whole mess of errors in the console like the first TOTLM.

I have to say that I'm getting good use out of GZDoom. I'm actually having fun using the port. I say you did a great job on the GZDoom stuff, Graf.

-Alando1