Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demon101

Stupid things you done in Doom 3

audiodef said:

How do you shoot the civvies? When you have the target aimed at them, the default action is "talk", not "shoot".

Yes, but moving with the mouse away from the person, clicking the shoot button and moving with the mouse to the person again kills him. You can do it with the shotgun as well, but you need to be fast.

If you're just a bit of a distance away, aim and shoot.

I was just cracking myself up with this. Found Sarge and Bertruger in the first level and blew them away. What happens to the game if they've been killed?

I also blew away the marine who points you toward HQ and Sarge. Coming back, there he was again. GO MAGIC MARINES!

I also killed the sentry bot that was leading me back from HQ by using the BFG9000.

From DOOM GUY to MAJOR ASSHOLE. Rock on! :-P

If the id developers were clever, they would have programmed the scripts to spawn death squads of monsters to kill you early, if you did something as idiotic as killing off main characters, probably accompanied by an evil laugh/explanation saying "Thanks for unleashing us. Now you die!".

Other games did this, such as Arkanis Gath from Baldur's Gate 2.

Ahcruna said:

Tried to run the game in "full" settings when it first came out.

I still can't run the game on "full" settings. :P

printz said:

If the id developers were clever, they would have programmed the scripts to spawn death squads of monsters to kill you early, if you did something as idiotic as killing off main characters, probably accompanied by an evil laugh/explanation saying "Thanks for unleashing us. Now you die!".

That would be cool.

audiodef said:

In the room with the leaking radioactive material and the robot arm, I cracked myself up when I found I could incinerate everything within reach of the arm - including the mop bucket and the dead guy in the middle of the floor. Although I thought it was far funnier to drop the mop bucket into the incinerator than the dead guy.

I wonder... if I spawned a monster in that room, could I incinerate that? o.O

audiodef said:

How did you do that?

You use the console and spawn soda cans ("summon prop_coke"? or something). Then you use weapons.

GhostlyDeath said:

You use the console and spawn soda cans ("summon prop_coke"? or something). Then you use weapons.

ROFL! I will definitely have to try that, and variants!

It's Spawn, not Summon.

Jimi said:

Danced around this:

Wow, I believe ZDoom cannot render infinite images in mirrors or cameras, can it?

Probably Doom3 has some limit in it too? Would be pretty useless to try render the camera stuff again and again in some few pixel area.

The stupidest thing that I've ever done was charge an imp while I only had 1 health left with a shotgun. I missed.

I also tried to take on a Hell Knight with fists. Almost won, too...

suicidal pencil said:

I also tried to take on a Hell Knight with fists. Almost won, too...

What tripped you up from winning?

Heh yeah the jumping off ledges to see if they're fatal thing is funny...

Also killing myself with grenades because they are done shittily and bounce around unrealistically. This is especially bad when you decide to go on a no saves run except for the beginning of the level. Meaning when you die you restart the level. That actually makes the game remotely scary. Who would've thought Doom 3 is a scary game... Am I right or am I right? So yeah I throw a grenade down a hallway and I have 25 health so I'm like OMG MUST USE GRENADE AND NOT RISK MY LIFE. Next thing I know the grenade is at my feet after bouncing back a hallway like 25 feet long and I'm like FUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!! Seriously they did the grenades horribly wrong...

Oh also nudging barrels to watch them spin for ever. That's a physics engine fail.

And I remember when I first got the game I accidentally hit a guy with a flashlight when I was trying to talk to him. I was like UMMM... wow... Apparently a guy getting hit by a flashlight explodes into a bloody mess.

Also talking to people over and over until they start repeating the same things over and over. "I'm too busy Marine, leave me alone" "No it's not safe, I'm just going to stay here." Things like that hahaha...

LOL, potnop! Yeah, the grenades have wonky physics, ditto barrels. I've gone around shooting civvies, but haven't tried whacking them with the flash. You'll find, btw, that you can kill trites with your flash, too.

Now that I have the grabber gun in RoE, need I say how much fun that is? You can pick up ammo and health and fling them around, as well as bodies. I've yet to try flinging air tanks when I'm outside (you'll need god mode to do that as you'll have just lost your air).

Makes me think though...

Why isn't the Half Life 2 gravity gun capable of hurling dead bodies and enemies until it becomes all superified... How does that make sense I wonder...

Also I was playing this mod and the way I pushed a box was not by actually pushing it. That was impossible. It was a giant rock cube as tall as the player. I stood on it and by walking back and forth, the physics made the box move forward. Doom 3 has some MEEEESED up physics... Not to mention the extremely rigid ragdolls.

printz said:

Kind of like in Star Trek Elite Force, where I accidently vaporized Tuvok. Poor Tuvok =( I KILLED THE VOYAGER SERIES, i was too ashamed to keep watching it because I knew Tuvok was gone forever.

audiodef said:

What tripped you up from winning?

an imp. Bastard got me from behind. Turned around to blow him away with teh shotgun, and the hell knight eviscerated me from behind.

Oh, and I have fond memories of rampaging with the rocket launcher. I felt like a god with that thing...

suicidal pencil said:

Oh, and I have fond memories of rampaging with the rocket launcher. I felt like a god with that thing...

Interestingly enough, it seems sometimes like the double-barreled shotgun does more damage than the rocket launcher.

God, redneck style.

The whole game is stupid, dark rooms, dark corridors, not enough monsters. Too little space to do anything and the ambushes are really annoying, not scary. Doom is not supposed to be a horror game. Was the original Doom a horror game? No.

PRIMEVAL said:

I wonder... if I spawned a monster in that room, could I incinerate that? o.O

You can incinerate practically anything, Like I decided to do with a friend:

KingofBabylon said:

The whole game is stupid, dark rooms, dark corridors, not enough monsters. Too little space to do anything and the ambushes are really annoying, not scary. Doom is not supposed to be a horror game. Was the original Doom a horror game? No.

Mostly, I agree. The boss battles took place in very confined spaces, which was annoying. I actually ended up fighting the boss battles on god mode because it was just that annoying.

Edward850 said:

You can incinerate practically anything, Like I decided to do with a friend:

What cracked me up the most was when I incinerated the mop bucket. I don't know why I found that hilarious, but I did.

KingofBabylon said:

Well actually, the Original Doom was kinda like a Horror game. Was no one freaked out when the lights would suddenly go out in E1M3 after grabbing the blue key, the imps pop out, and then your waiting in the light like a pussy waiting for them to come out just so you could get 100% kills?

I think DooM actually scared me more than DooM³ did. DooM³ did more BOO! sort of scares where as DooM was more of a mental thing. This is going by my memories of first playing DooM on the SNES on my very dark TV screen back when I was a wee lad.

I also found DOOM 1 and 2 more of a horror game than DOOM 3. The monsters in DOOM 3 were more annoying than scary, due to the way the game was structured. Often, you knew the monster was coming because they spawned within sight. This never happened in 1 and 2, which kept the player on his toes.

Well, they spawned in sight, but it was a sudden instance rather than the DooM³ style of darkening the lights, whispers, random glowing pentagram on the floor, and POOF monster appears and roars at you. First couple times may have been freaky, but it gets real old real fast. DooM 1/2, they go *FLASH* *attack* with no warning.

Stupid thing number one, would be throwing the grenade at a monster to only have it bounce off the wall behind em and killing myself.

Other than that, this ain't really stupid but personally funny - Duking out with a zombie. The catch is, one punch in the balls and the bastard vaporized.

I discovered that you can duck those helmeted tentacle guys. Unless they are too close.

In which case you can't.