Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genki

Heretic and Hexen monsters

hi everybody;
i was wondering where to download hexen and heretic monsters to add them to my doom wad,as i noticed some wads contains'em all including pictures and sounds...etc
i found a great difficulty to copy/paste them to xwe.
so please if someone has an idea about that let me know-i'll appreciate if someone upload them so anyone can download them later.

saifi said:

i found a great difficulty to copy/paste them to xwe.

Use SLADE 3 instead.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

http://realm667.com/

That's where you can download them.

Actually no. There are plenty of sprite edits, but not the original monsters.

Ultraboy94 said:

AFAIK Heretic and Hexen are abandonware, so you should be able to download them for free legally.

Oh shit.

Ultraboy94 said:

AFAIK Heretic and Hexen are abandonware, so you should be able to download them for free legally.

You are also very wrong.

Ultraboy94 said:

You are wrong on both counts. Abandonware is not legal (the entire concept has absolutely not legal existence), and these games are not abandonware anyway; they are still sold on both Steam and the id Software shop:
* http://www.idsoftware.com/games/vintage/heretic/
* http://www.idsoftware.com/games/vintage/hexen/
* http://store.steampowered.com/app/2390/
* http://store.steampowered.com/app/2360/

So... AFAYK? YDNKVF.

Be warned: asking for, providing or linking to warez still results in an immediate permban around here.

Instead of buying the games off Steam, in my opinion it's much better to order them off Amazon or EGAY so you have the whole package for no more than $10 each.

AzaryDoom2020 said:

Is better dowloading Hexen, Heretic etc under ******* *** program!

Or, supporting the creators, and buying it! =D

DeathevokatioN said:

Instead of buying the games off Steam, in my opinion it's much better to order them off Amazon or EBAY so you have the whole package for no more than $10 each.

I second that, but there are shipping costs to account for.

Heretic - Amazon Search (Used starting at under $5.00 US, before shipping.)

Hexen - Amazon Search (Used starting at under $2.00 US, before shipping.)

Although...

If you do buy from STEAM, or the id Games website, some of the money actually makes it to the game developers/producers. You only need the wads after all, you don't actually have to run the games through STEAM.

Since we're on the topic of legality, would distributing Heretic or Hexen monsters in a WAD meant for use with DOOM be legal, even if you bought the game?

In a much wordier way:

Spleen said:

Since we're on the topic of legality, would distributing Heretic or Hexen monsters in a WAD meant for use with DOOM be legal, even if you bought the game?

The question of copyright is not a question of ownership. It's the right to distribute copies (as the name of "copy right" actually does imply).

Regardless of how you obtained your own copy of the original material -- legitimate transaction, counterfeit, theft, pact with the Devil, etc. -- if you do not hold the copyright or a license to the copyright (not the same as a license to use!), any copy that you distribute is illegal.

Now that's for the whole package. For just a small part you can kinda invoke fair use in some specific circumstances. Let's be honest, fair use of monster sprites to make a common enemy would be bullshit. (You might try to argue fair use in the case of an easter egg, though. But it didn't work for Duke Nukem 3D's "doomed marine", so don't put too much trust in that...)

If you wanted to be truly in the clear, you'd have to distribute the mod as an installer program that would grab the needed content from the user's own IWADs, so that you would not be yourself distributing anything.

But in practice, most people will simply not care. Resources ripped from other games are nearly the standard. See Mordeth for a good example.

i tried to extract them from their original wads "heretic and hexen" but not a clue!

Some monsters from the original Armageddon invasion mapset has some Heretic and Hexen monsters as decorates. It may be possible to extract them from that wad/pk3 file using programs such as XWE, Slumped or Slade3.

Gez said:

But it didn't work for Duke Nukem 3D's "doomed marine"

I would venture to guess that that would fall under a parody, which can be used to sidestep a few copyright laws.

Gez said:

But it didn't work for Duke Nukem 3D's "doomed marine", so don't put too much trust in that...)

Does anyone have the original story on this? Not the parody itself but id's supposed legal action against it.

I don't think there was any actual legal action. Just a "hey, remove that" "oh, okay" thing.

I think the sprite is no longer present. At least, that's what I heard long ago. I've only ever played the shareware episode of DN3D, so I don't really know personally.

DuckReconMajor said:

So it's not present in later versions?

I don't know about that, bu I have the Atomic Edition, and the sprite and area is all still there. (That is, if I have my facts straight, Atomic came after the intitial DN3-D, which the Marine was in that, so if he's also in the later AE, I assume they never removed him... I think I confused myself there...)