Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bank

Doom Radio Reboot

Sgt Crispy created Doom Radio some time in the first half of the last decade, I'm sure many of you remember listening as I certainly do, but it has been a long time and to my best estimation none of the original episodes still exist on the internet in an accessible way.

So this is where my proposal comes in. I currently work at my university's radio station and thus have full access to the studio as well as the radio stream. I also did Quake Radio for about a year for quakeone.com and have done several podcasts/shows since then. I will readily admit that I am not perhaps the most knowledgeable when it comes to the latest happenings in the community but I do have the experience to make an informative, entertaining radio show. I'd like to reboot Doom Radio.

However, this requires a few things. I would need a person or people to assist me in the latest news and incidents, community individuals willing to talk about their projects on the show via Skype or call-in, and general interest from the greater Doom community. If it seems like it would be worthwhile I'd be able to go ahead and do the show almost immediately. I imagine that the easiest and most convenient way for distribution would be in the episodic style in the vein of the original Doom Radio. Thinking of a runtime between 30 minutes and an hour.

Thanks for reading and if you're interested in helping with the project (should it get off the ground) please feel free to contact me via PM, email, or instant message.

Neat! I'll listen. keeping an eye on doom related IRC channels is usually the quickest pool of interesting doom news

I bought and still own doomradio.org in preparation for a Doom Radio reboot in 2005 which never happened. I also purchased a streaming OGG service for Amaster's (RIP) video game show which I also still have. If the former will be of use to you, let me know.

I also have every episode (1 - 19) of the old Doom Radio.

Bloodshedder said:

I also have every episode (1 - 19) of the old Doom Radio.

Epic! Any chance of a download? I'm happy to seed torrents.

Super Jamie said:

Epic! Any chance of a download? I'm happy to seed torrents.

Ditto.

Sounds like a great idea. Being only a Doom player I don't have anything to offer the show but I would be an interested listener! :)

This is wonderful. I'm not totally prepared but I'd like to provide as many contributions to this as humanly possible. From what I've listened to in olddoomradio.org it wasn't that entertaining. I mean, it was interesting to listen to because I can relate to the information being delivered.. sort of, but I'd like to laugh at the things I'm listening to, which I doubt should be too hard being as though this community consists of some very funny people.

I'm a big fan of podcasts. Have you thought of doing an interview segment featuring people from around the Doom community?

Stygian said:

I'm a big fan of podcasts. Have you thought of doing an interview segment featuring people from around the Doom community?

I was hoping that would be a major part of the show.

From what I've been thinking so far here's a quick rundown of how I'd like to do the show.

Synopsis: Doom Radio will be hosted by Bank and a rotating cast of cohosts from the Doom community. The 1-3 cohosts will be part of the episode and provide banter, knowledge, and/or a short segment of their own. The episode will be broken up as such.

Introduction and monologues, with this week's guests.
Short discussion of recent Doom news and projects (or if without any major projects an ongoing discussion of the Doom community in general.)
Interview or guest segment.
Special segment (some kind of flavor of the week comedy issue like This Week in Post Hell etc. prerecorded)
Closing statements.

My vision is a comedy-laden FM talk style podcast with insider information about the latest Doom happenings. Part of making this work is community participation so mappers, creators, and other individuals with a project they'd like to talk about are encouraged to send in any material to the show or appear in interviews.

Hopefully this will inspire a little more than "here's a map to play." If you're doing something interesting with Doom or would even like to talk about mapping or editing this would be a good platform for you to get your message out and for listeners to be entertained and learn something.

As for the cohosting guests I understand it is a commitment to do a show and be involved which is partially why I'd like to keep the runtime under an hour, but there are many incredibly funny and knowledgeable people in the community who I know could really make for some good radio.

Bank said:

The 1-3 cohosts will be part of the episode and provide...

That would make it fun to listen to.

I hope to see this come to fruition! I like your ideas for it but please...please...don't play this PH music. X( Might sound good on a piano, though!

EDIT: Removed text that might be a deterent to more posts of interest! Heck, I'm willing to go jump up and down in the middle of the street with pom-poms to draw interest to this very fun idea.

Doom Radio is still in the planning stages but is coming together more and more each day. I'm currently writing the pilot episode and will tell you what I have in mind.

I'm planning for Doom Radio to be a tight, short, and funny production that is just scripted enough to give guests and the myself a foundation with room to be funny. The show will begin with the themesong, the announcer will say who the guests are and introduce me, I will do a short monologue and have a brief roundtable-style discussion with the guests guided by topics. This will then be followed by two prerecorded segments, one being a special interview or community topic, the other being some kind of sketch. I'd like to have several sketches so that they can be recurring. The show will end off with closing remarks, thanks to the guests, and the ending themesong. Doom Radio will be very similar to a Late Night talkshow. Runtime approximately 45 minutes.

Right now I'm working on writing the pilot, creating all the assets for the show, and will in the next couple weeks try to secure guests. I'm projecting for the first episode to be out in about three weeks.

So here's a checklist of things that have been and need to be done.

Show Assets (logos, music, etc.)
I have already made the themesong and incidental music, but still need a logo and other promotional materials. Contact me if interested, the theme is very Late Night so keep that in mind.

Guests (or interviewees)
I've already had a couple individuals express interest to do either which is great, but I'd like to get a good idea of how many people total would be interested so I could plan a good lineup. Only requirements are skype/mic, the ability to talk for about 15-25 minutes, a sense a humor, and ability to coordinate times. Right now interest is most important. If you would like to be interviewed I would prefer you to either have a recent or upcoming project, or be a well known member of the community to offer some insight.

Announcer
Right now I'm planning on doing the announcing myself, which isn't a problem, but it creates fewer voices on the show and the more unique voices we get the better it'll sound. I'm looking for an Ed McMahon style powerful announcing voice that could on short notice do a quick audio file and send it to me. The way I have the intro setup, the only thing that would change would be the guest names so if the rest was prerecorded it would not be difficult to make the alterations before the show.

This is an ambitious project and I'm getting more excited about it by the day, thanks to all who have expressed interest and assisted in the project, you are needed and appreciated.

I'm not the most super-awesome speaker type but I might hop on for something random just for the hell of it.

I'm a bit interested in the announcer position. Two questions though:

1. When sending you a demo, what exactly should I say?
2. Does it matter what kind of microphone I use? I've only got a really crappy $10 one that I bought a long time ago.

Lizardcommando said:

I'm a bit interested in the announcer position. Two questions though:

1. When sending you a demo, what exactly should I say?
2. Does it matter what kind of microphone I use? I've only got a really crappy $10 one that I bought a long time ago.

I sent you a private message with more information, if it seems like something viable I will send you more information and a script.

Ralphis said:

Will you have a laugh track?

Absolutely, in the mockup demo I've done it's almost essential.

Mr. Freeze said:

What length do you prefer for a review demo?

Well, if you're interested in doing a prerecorded segment just send me a PM with a short pitch and we'll take it from there.

I will help anyway I can, I do a lot of media-related stuff (I'm a media arts major) and am particularly good at graphics design.

Also, if your still looking I'd be interested in doing maybe a special segment at one time, if I can that is. I would love to contribute.

Bumping. I just finished recording my proof-of-concept segment and will probably send it in tomorrow or Monday.