Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Largest Direct Link Doom Wad Collection?

I don't if anyone has thought or even done this before but would it be a good idea if we packed everysingle fan released Doom wad (including maps/weapons mods/etc) and pack them into a single rar file or it would be too much? Similar to this?

It wouldn't be too large, but it would constantly be out of date. Wads get released every week.

Not sure about the possibility of this, but what about automating the process and recompiling the archive every month or so?

<peeks at offline archive> The question is - who wants to download a 6 gigabyte rar file every month.

I would agree with GreayGhost.
But from my thought of this thread was : A program much like SkullTag's IDE that can allow us to download files.
But still, packing all those wads in there would be a hassle it's own.

What advantage would this have over using an ftp manager and downloading the entire archive that way, and then downloading any new files when they appear? It is one operation each time either way, but with a more convenient file structure and without duplicating downloads.

Also, some files in the archive don't give permission to be uploaded elsewhere. The uploader has necessarily granted permission for the file to be made available via the archive and its official mirrors, but may not have granted any permission beyond that - it depends on what they have put in their text file.

I've actually tried on a couple of occasions to create my own personal hard copy of the archives, but the process seems way too slow and would take weeks. Downloading 6+ GBs of data is painfully slow when the max transfer rate I've been able to get is 30KB/sec... and that's at the maximum. On average it's about 9KB/sec. Maybe I might be doing something wrong, but I'm assuming the server's just really absurdly slow.

Grazza said:

What advantage would this have over using an ftp manager and downloading the entire archive that way, and then downloading any new files when they appear? It is one operation each time either way, but with a more convenient file structure and without duplicating downloads.

The only use I can imagine is for people who can't be bothered to think more than is needed to click a download button on a web page...

AgentSpork said:

Maybe I might be doing something wrong, but I'm assuming the server's just really absurdly slow.

Try a different mirror (e.g. the Russian one)? In any case, don't use the primary (gamers.org) site.

You can also speed things up by skipping idstuff, which contains a lot of very large non-Doom files.