Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Ports with Splitscreen and 360 Controller Support

I'd like to be able to play splitscreen Doom with one player using mouse & keyboard and the other player using a 360 controller. Are there any ports with this capability?

Almost every doom port supports splitscreen (except Legacy IIRC). Just choose one of them with not very crappy support of a 360 controller.

Btw, it's pretty strange you have 1100+ posts here and do not know such trivial things. What port do you use commonly?

entryway said:

Almost every doom port supports splitscreen (except Legacy IIRC).

???

Are you confusing splitscreen with windowed mode?

AFAIK Legacy is one of the few ports with splitscreen, though Doomsday recently added that feature.

Gez said:

...though Doomsday recently added that feature.

It's not been added yet. It's still being worked on.

entryway said:

Almost every doom port supports splitscreen (except Legacy IIRC)

Heh. Your "except" hint was apparently too subtle.

Vermil said:

It's not been added yet. It's still being worked on.

Correct, Beta7 is the scheduled release for splitscreen support (aka the fixed-multiplayer release).

DoomLegacy Info: Just committed changes (post DoomLegacy 1.44.0-alpha) that fix old splitscreen issues, like the second player not being created. Do not know how long it has been broken.
Get latest svn update to use splitscreen.

Am I the only one who wishes splitscreen and proper gamepad support were standard source port features by now? Because IMHO, it would make all the sense nowadays with every second dude having their PC connected with their TV.

Janizdreg said:

Am I the only one who wishes splitscreen and proper gamepad support were standard source port features by now? Because IMHO, it would make all the sense nowadays with every second dude having their PC connected with their TV.

I would appreciate such a feature, but realistically I wouldn't see myself using it a whole lot.

Janizdreg said:

It's a good idea in theory, but there isn't currently many developers welling to put in the work to get something done that they know isn't going to be commonly used. It's nice to have, but do you honestly see 50% of people using it 50% of the time?
That was, if I remember right, one of the main reasons why Zdoom doesn't have this. Too much work for too little gain.
(Originally it was also because the software render would not work with it right. Not sure if that is a problem now because the HUD elements are now hardware rendered (if available), but no current Zdoom developer still wants to try.)

You could use two instances of a port in windowed mode. It wouldn't look as nice, but it would get the job done.

Janizdreg said:

I don't think so. I find it on the contrary rather redundant nowadays with every second person having a laptop of some sort. Plus, gamepads and FPS is fail.

One should allow 16 or 4 split-screen, so we can watch 4 or 16-player multiplayer demos (compatibility warning!) all at once.

Doom3D has split screen multiplayer. that's the only port I know of that supports it. Don't think its been updated in a long time though, and I don't think that it has any kind of controller support either.

kristus said:

Plus, gamepads and FPS is fail.

I concur, it's painful. There might have been an exception though. I remember this old promo video from a PC magazine's CD that showed half-life being played with a gamepad, but this one was literally jointed, just like an arm! so he'd use the cross pad as WASD and the joint as mouselook. Seemed comfortable to me, but never actually used one.

kristus said:

Plus, gamepads and FPS is fail.

I don't mind it in Doom where aiming up and down is not a factor, but yes, the notion of a gamepad with FPSs in general is pretty painful.

For fine control in speedy online CTF or Jumpmaze, I always use keyboard/mouse, but for single-player casual play, there are games that have felt fine on the Xbox: the Halos, Doom 3, Doom classic (the exception being Turok Evolution, which did something wrong with the freelooking sensitivity). But the saitek gamepad I use on my PC is less ok for dooming, considering the deadzones, like they expect you to never move it less than 1/6th of an inch. I need to figure out how to hook up an Xbox or 360 controller to my PC.

phi108 said:

I need to figure out how to hook up an Xbox or 360 controller to my PC.

If it's wired, just plug it in.
If it's wireless, then you have to buy a stupid receiver as the charge and play kit won't work, it only charges the controller.

I play splitscreen on Legacy quite often. Only Co-op though. Not sure if DM would work so well - the hinderence of the gamepad for the second player might be more apparent when playing against each other.