Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

Hypertension [Trailer]

einstein said:

Fiend and his team never answer criticism. They either insult people or talk in circular logic.

Aside from the new maps, almost everything else is taken directly from Blood, Blood 2, Transfusion, and other assorted DOOM mods. It looks like ZBlood to me, but its being promoted as a brand new game. That exclusive interview was actually self made propaganda created by Fiend and his team, and the hope was at one time to create a commercial sequel called Hypertension 2.

The Hypertension team doesn't seem to want to talk about those commercial plans any more.

The commercial sequel that was planned ages ago was going to use only non-blood characters. It was going to be some kind of murder-mystery non-FPS game that didn't use any Blood resources. I wouldn't be involved in it.

As for not answering criticism, I assume you're talking about all the idiocy from The Postmortem, where Kurt Fuhr kept accusing us, basically, of stealing things from Blood that he stole first.
Also, this is not ZBlood. If it looks like ZBlood to you, I suggest you play ZBlood again.

Kurt's criticisms were not the same ones being brought up here. He was convinced that Hypertension was a knockoff of his project despite the fact that copying his work would be impractical and, in my opinion, would make a shitty project. As for commercial plans: the reason no one talks about them is because they were dropped before I even started working on HT.

And I will admit to being insulting during that time because when someone follows you around and tries to destroy a project you've been putting work into as well as saying that the work you've put in is stolen from someone else when it isn't, it becomes more than a little irritating.

zap610 said:

Honest question; with someone like that in charge of the project, can you realistically see this ever being released?

Yes. Corbin isn't really "in charge," as I have the same amount of say over aspects of the project as he does. In the past, I have rejected ideas of his that would slow the development time.

zap610:

with someone like that

Here we go again. Do we need morality police deciding who is and who isn't fit to be a TC lead? Corbin was critical to the beginnings of the project and did all the early coding. He's still an important force creatively and if we could get him a decent computer we'd be set. Corbin' fine. It's the voodoo3 card that has to go.

zZaRDoZz said:

Here we go again. Do we need morality police deciding who is and who isn't fit to be a TC lead? Corbin was critical to the beginnings of the project and did all the early coding. He's still an important force creatively and if we could get him a decent computer we'd be set. Corbin' fine. It's the voodoo3 card that has to go.

I never judged him as a leader, I simply questioned the characteristics posted by Fiend. However, I would be more than happy to post my opinion of him. I think he is a talentless, arrogant, delusional nobody who wants to force others to do the work for him and steal all the glory. I think most of the issues with this wad could have been avoided if he would shut his mouth and treat it as it is; a wad. I pity those who are working on this project because they are all dragged down by his ego, I wouldn't wish that on my enemies.

Happy you asked?

zZaRDoZz said:
Corbin' fine.

Well, as Grazza said, Chu is a "congenital bullshitter". I also agree with everything zap610 said about him. So if you consider that to be fine, then we can judge for ourselves how reliable your word actually is. The fact is that you all seem to be masters of manipulation and lies, and you seem to have no problems whatsoever in taking other peoples work to promote yourselves.

zap610

I never judged him as a leader,

errr....well

I simply questioned the characteristics posted by Fiend. However, I would be more than happy to post my opinion of him. I think he is a talentless, arrogant, delusional nobody who wants to force others to do the work for him and steal all the glory. I think most of the issues with this wad could have been avoided if he would shut his mouth and treat it as it is; a wad. I pity those who are working on this project because they are all dragged down by his ego, I wouldn't wish that on my enemies.

Odd, less than an hour ago if someone popped off on a public forum about you in a thread where you couldn't defend yourself, I would have thought it sad, idiotic, infantile, low, bitchy, and pathetic. Now that you've pointed out the error of my ways however, I stand corrected. Thanks for straightening me out.

zZaRDoZz said:

Odd, less than an hour ago if someone popped off on a public forum about you in a thread where you couldn't defend yourself, I would have thought it sad, idiotic, infantile, low, bitchy, and pathetic. Now that you've pointed out the error of my ways however, I stand corrected. Thanks for straightening me out.

Hey, look! A bunch of sarcastic condescension that means nothing! That's a great way to try making someone who disagrees with you look stupid when they're actually raising legitimate points.

zZaRDoZz said:

Apparently you do need to be straightened out if you seriously believe that "Corbin is fine". But it makes little sense to complain about people's honest opinions of your project and it's leader, when you keep on posting these updates of yours on the internet. What do you expect people to say?

Your whining over people being honest is what I call infantile, sad, and pathetic.

I doubt I'm the only one who sees this:

The following is valid, though, regarding everyone else:

esselfortium said:

...they're actually raising legitimate points.

Xaser said:

The following is valid, though, regarding everyone else:

esselfortium said:
...they're actually raising legitimate points.

I've also raised legitimate points and that certainly doesn't make me a troll. If someone posts something on the internet then they expect to receive a response, whether it be positive or negative.

I will admit that I am not a fan of this project or its team members, but my opinions and concerns are still honest and valid to this discussion.

Opinions and negative feedback are just fine, and it would be foolish to say that it alone constitutes a troll post. But then there are flame-baits like these sprinkled everywhere:

einstein said:

Wow, you built some maps for ZBlood! Some people thought ZBlood was a bad imitation of Blood but you've managed to take it a step further by making a bad imitation of ZBlood! Is there any game or mod out there that you haven't taken ideas or resources from?

einstein said:

Fiend and his team never answer criticism. They either insult people or talk in circular logic.

einstein said:

The fact is that you all seem to be masters of manipulation and lies...

einstein said:

Your whining over people being honest is what I call infantile, sad, and pathetic.

You're going to disagree with my assessment, of course, but the evidence isn't for either of us to judge at this point.

Having said all that, I'm just going to see how things go from here. There is plenty of actual discussion going on that I'm interrupting, so carry on. ;)

I apologize for being blunt in my opinions, but they are still honest and valid.

I agree though there's still much to discuss here, but I don't wish to be viewed as a troll so I will say no more on the subject. But please do carry on.

To all those who hate Chu:

You are entitled to your opinions. I don't know what past experiences are. I'm sure you cannot escape your histories any more than I can escape mine. My hope was to see a Blood TC on a highly compatible engine and Edge is hard to beat in that regard. As far as I'm concerned Chu's effort is the best chance I have for seeing that dream come true. If Hypertension succeeds, more people will have access to Blood than ever in it's 13 year history. If the Hypertension team fails it will be a noble failure.

Legality questions:
Cradle to Grave and Hypertension are discussing the use of a hasher programs. I have no idea as to the status of such plans but that's what's floating around.

To the postmortem crowd:
It is tragic that we have such hostilities. We are enemies and that is the lay of the land. You are adamant in your opinions as we are in ours. I will not allow your past attacks and insults to color the opinion I have of Cradle to Grave: I wish you the best in your endeavors to preserve the great game of Blood. I think we have a technical advantage at the very least but that can't change the fact there are some highly skilled coders and a consistency of vision within your ranks. Good luck- no sarcasm.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with you guys making a Blood-themed Doom TC, but it's honestly insulting to see something based primarily on ripped resources advertised as an "original freeware game". That's not tribute; that's theft.

I'd hate to see Monolith Software have to be involved in this.

On the subject - I have clearly stated, and given credit to, Monolith and acknowledged they originally created Blood in every outlet the game has been mentioned in. Regardless of how I want to advertise it, I do give the credit.

I will say no more on the subject - think of me how you choose. We will let the final product speak for itself.

Giving credit is one thing, but you're claiming that this is an original game.

Let's take a look at some quotes from you, on your project forum:

Hypertension is an original game based upon and inspired by Monolith's 1997/1998 shooters called Blood.

"Original." You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means.

We take no credit for the Blood material we are using, but we DO take credit for the original material we're developing, and this includes changes to Blood's original graphics/sounds/music itself as well. They are merely a template for us to unleash our true originality through our game.

This is the wordiest way I've ever seen of saying "we stole resources".

Telling us who you stole your "original" game's resources from doesn't give you any moral high ground. You're still using them illegally, you're just knowingly using them illegally. Giving credit doesn't allow you to freely use shit you don't own. Copyright law doesn't work that way. I can't break into your house and steal your furniture and be like "No way, guys; I know it's really Chu's furniture, okay? It's okay, don't worry!" It's still my original living room, though, even though it's composed primarily of shit that doesn't belong to me.

Okay, one more Chu quote:

I just wanted to announce that Hypertension is almost at its 100th revision, and it's come a long way since I first started the project last year.

The stuff the team is working on now, I can assure you, will blow the entire barrier of 2.5D gaming technology away. What I've witnessed in Fiend's latest map, combined with the work we've done so far, will seriously roll some heads.

I want to post a screen...but I shouldn't. It's that good. What I saw in the level almost made me fall out of my chair. I've never seen it in any Doom engine game, Build engine game, or even a second-generation Quake game.

We mean business.

This should speak for itself, but in the interest of being helpful, I'll spell it out for you, Chu:

Literally every bit of the drama relating to this project would have been avoided if it weren't for your douchey attitude about it. It's a Blood-themed TC, using resources from Blood. It's not going to change the face of gaming or boggle peoples' minds any more than KDiZD or any other overly, obnoxiously hyped Doom project that's ever existed. What I've seen has not remotely stood up to the totally absurd, unreachable claims you're making about -- and that would be perfectly okay, if you weren't making bullshit claims all over the damn place. And once more for good measure, it's not an original game. Stop calling it that, or get used to people calling you out on it. It's not "trolling."

Alright, let me explain some of this:

If my attitude is unwelcoming, then I will change it for the sake of these forums, but you can't tell me to change it outside of this place. It's just how I am. I get excited about this stuff. What looks good to me doesn't mean it will look good or even remotely be interesting to anyone else. I have a right to express my feelings. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a "douchebag" to you or to the rest of you guys, but please know that I didn't do it intentionally nor did I mean to aim it at anyone in particular. I will be more careful about how I word things in the future. I don't always compare what we're doing to bigger, more popular projects, I haven't kept up with that stuff, so I think I have a right to say what I need to say. It is, of course, my opinion and interpretation of what I'm experiencing. People can listen, or they can ignore, or they can call me out on it, or call me a moron, etc etc. That's fine because it's my opinion, and that's your opinion.

I know I haven't always had the best track record with this stuff, but you can't count what I did, oh...8 or so years ago as part of who I am now. I was a kid then, I'm not anymore. I put in my time now, more than what I thought I could, and I've learned a considerable amount since then. I'm sure that's what most of you are referring to. I have worked very hard on this, and I stand by it. It might not have been in awhile, but I couldn't help it.

I assumed that weaving an original story, original characters, models and sprites, features, not to mention the amount of live-action filming, all of this stuff we're doing ON TOP of those resources would merit an "originality tag", but now I know that it can't be worded like that. I stand corrected, and I'll find a more appropriate way to describe it.

I however believe that we're allowed to market these things we're working on that ARE original as "original", and believe me, a massive amount of effort is going into these resources. One other thing before I stop, I have put considerable work into this alongside Fiend, if it wasn't recently, then it was when the project started. Most of it went into the coding, and trust me when I say it's no easy feat doing what we're doing for the EDGE engine. So all this talk about me pawning off work to others simply isn't true. I worked on this thing for a solid 10 months or so before I had any help with it, and even after I had help, I still did what I could. I can deal with the "calling out", it's not what I'm taking issue with.

My apologies to you guys if this whole thing came off as insulting. Poor decision making on my part.

I've said what I needed to, you have my word that it'll be corrected in future discussion here.

Alright, so let's talk about the game if you guys feel up to it! What Fiend said is true, I haven't been involved with it in some time, I've been dealing with life outside the internet and the game, but I still know enough to answer some questions. Believe me, if all of this could be done with Blood's BUILD engine, then it would've been done already. Unfortunately, it can't.

Chu said:

I assumed that weaving an original story, original characters, models and sprites, features

Where where where is any of this?

I'm going to butt in and not contribute at all to the conversation just to say this:

How the hell is it that Hypertension never fails to generate drama whenever anybody posts about it? I haven't seen a mod this controversial since Nazi Auferstehung.

Here's one example. Another. We aren't releasing any more material of this, though. That's why it hasn't been in any videos or anything.

Our story hasn't been completely revealed, but in the live-action trailer, you will see a girl with a weapon dressed in a mobster outfit - she's the second character you play as, she has a lot of magical weapons and it's in a different environment. Without revealing too much, her name is Aurelia. Total change from Blood. Caleb's story changed too, involving demons and whatnot. It's really complicated. I recommend playing it when we get done with it.

Features include a buy/$ system, NPC interactions, different weapon and spell loading, upgrade of weapons, achievement system, dual character with separate stories/enemies, graphic novel story advancement, 3d models (BUILD only supported voxels), hardware acceleration, dynamic lighting... I could go on if needed. Not to mention the live-action stuff. Have you seen any of that yet? Few of that stuff was in that trailer, I could link you to the L/A if you want. None of that stuff, to my knowledge, was in Blood.

Chu said:

I will say no more on the subject

It seems we were deceived with another misleading statement from Corbin. But the wordy followup is certainly entertaining and it's forced me into responding once again in this thread.

Chu said:

*big lengthy apology for being an unintentional douchebag and that all of his mistakes were 8 years ago*

Unfortunately Corbin, your mistakes were not only 8 years ago but they still continue today. You seem to have learned nothing at all from all that's happened, no matter how many times people try to explain things to you. How much controversy have you and your team caused in the Blood and DOOM communities in the past 2 years? How many lies have you and your team publicly told all over the internet? You attacked the Postmortem, you attacked Kurt's Blood 2 project and still you've learned nothing. You and your team still take whatever you want and claim that its yours. According to you, the Blood and DOOM communities, and Kurt, are the evil ones that are out to get you, and its everyone else's fault for misunderstanding you. Apparently everyone's been picking on you for no good reason for the past 10 years. How truly sad that must be.

Did you ever think that maybe people might have legitimate reasons for being offended by you and the things that you do? Probably not, because otherwise you might have actually learned something in the past decade.

There really is no point in my saying anymore in this thread because it simply wouldn't register in your brain anyway.

Chu said:

None of that stuff, to my knowledge, was in Blood.

Maybe not, but this is a Doom project. It honestly seems like you're trying to lay down a skeleton for the project (ripped Blood content) and then make original content off that. This project may have some new content, but that doesn't outweigh all the rips and it definitely doesn't make it a new game. I believe that work has been put into it, but it's completely meaningless if it isn't done right. I learned that the hard way.

As for the features, most (if not all) have been done in Doom projects. It honestly just seems more logical to actually make this for Blood, because no matter how much you try to convince others they will just see this as a Doom wad which doesn't offer anything new. Also I don't think people give a damn about the live action, they probably would rather see some shots of the actual project.

Then that's fine if that's what you think of it. I also never stated that they were original features either.

I said before, if I had the power to do this in Blood, I would. But you can't. There is no sourceport, the source code has never been released. All you could do is really make new maps for it. But I wanted more than a map-pack, so here we are now.

If we don't do it right, that's my problem.

If my attitude is unwelcoming, then I will change it for the sake of these forums, but you can't tell me to change it outside of this place. It's just how I am. I get excited about this stuff. What looks good to me doesn't mean it will look good or even remotely be interesting to anyone else. I have a right to express my feelings.

All I know about you is your posts here, and old or new you always sound like a car salesman/scammer when you promote your stuff. Being excited about your stuff is fine (and even recommended, I think), however there's different ways to express it and I believe people would take you more seriously if you just changed the way you say stuff, rather than the stuff you say.

Seeing the words "exclusive interview" for a Doom wad, for example, makes it tough to take this seriously.