Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey y'all,

I thought I'd try a little experiment with crowdsourcing. I want to create a WAD made with little bits and pieces from the Doom community.

I've created the shell of a level with some random shapes, divided into different areas. It can be found here...

http://www.mediafire.com/?1cjh1bc4lknzf15

The map has been divided up into several different chunks, labeled A through L. I want anyone interested out there to pick a chunk and start building. Just copy/paste it into a new WAD and see what you can come up with. I am thinking this will go through a couple different phases...

1) Basic layout/thing placement - making rooms and placing monsters, etc.

2) Detailing - all the prettiness added.

After phase 1 I'll repost the chunks I want to use and let people start detailing. If people are actually interested in this and I get a lot of good replies, there could be several levels generated. I can't guarantee I'll use everyone's work for the final project. I'm looking for creativity in layouts for interesting battles.

Add new textures if you want. There's no theme requirement. Just build however you like. It's going to be a jumbled mess, theme-wise, which I think will be awesome :)

Go nuts with your design. Divide up the areas provided into as many rooms as you desire, and feel free to go out of the boundaries if you're working on the edges. There are pre-designated areas with door textures connecting the chunks, and those should be maintained to make connecting easy.

If you just want to make some random decoration as well and have it in the WAD, send it to me and I'll try to squeeze it in.

This is going to be a ZDoom, Doom2 in Hexen format. I've divided up the scripting in each area as a guide.

Outsource.wad SCRIPTS

Area Script #'s
--------------------

A 1 to 10
B 11 to 30
C 31 to 50
D 51 to 70
E 71 to 90
F 91 to 110
G 111 to 130
H 131 to 150
I 151 to 170
J 171 to 190
K 191 +

Hopefully that is enough.

Note: Area A is the entrance, area K is the exit!

Send your creations here:

NTDoom2@gmail.com

Get editing!!

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

This is going to be a ZDoom, Doom2 in Hexen format. I've divided up the scripting in each area as a guide.

This sounded awesome and I was thinking about contributing until I got to this. Now it's merely a good idea and I might contribute anyway. By the way, this idea has been thought of before with slightly different execution, but nothing really came of it as far as I know. The op had at least 5 phases instead of just 2 though.

By the way, this idea has been thought of before with slightly different execution, but nothing really came of it as far as I know.

Look up excorpse.wad on idgames, it was the same concept IIRC but boom/limitremov compatible and the result is actually pretty fun. :)

LOL

Herculine ain't talkin'...

Infurnus and esselfortium bumped heads...

and Xaser agrees!

uhhh...sorry. Good luck with the project!

...and the plate ran away with the spoon.

Actually I was going to volunteer to do a section, but then I remembered I'm not good enough yet and I don't know how to do scripts anyway, so I decided it would be best if I don't volunteer for anything or try to be part of anything just yet.

Herculine said:

Actually I was going to volunteer to do a section, but then I remembered I'm not good enough yet and I don't know how to do scripts anyway, so I decided it would be best if I don't volunteer for anything or try to be part of anything just yet.

You don't have to be any good at scripts to partake. You can just make some shapes or rooms or what'ev. Scripting is far from necessary. And someone else can later script up your area if he/she wants to. The whole point of crowdsourcing is everyone does just a little bit.

NT

Made a quick small layout for area A and sent email attachment.

I was tempting to detail it but decided against it since somebody out there might do a better job then me.

NaturalTvventy said:

You don't have to be any good at scripts to partake. You can just make some shapes or rooms or what'ev. Scripting is far from necessary. And someone else can later script up your area if he/she wants to. The whole point of crowdsourcing is everyone does just a little bit.

NT

Okay then. Since I'm Herculine, I'll take section "H". Thanks!

lol @ Herculine empty quote chain.

This looks like a neat idea. I await the finished result. Too bad I'm no mapper, can't really contribute.

PRIMEVAL said:

lol @ Herculine empty quote chain.

This looks like a neat idea. I await the finished result. Too bad I'm no mapper, can't really contribute.

Heh... I'm no mapper either, but they're not stoppin' me yet...