Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duvel

Weirdness concerning aspect ratios in ZDoom

Doom outputs at 320x200, correct? That is a 16:10 resolution; so when I put ZDoom at a 16:10 resolution it should be able to scale the graphics with a direct multiplier instead of having to squish them or something, right? But yet when I enable a 16:10 resolution and don't force any aspect ratio, the status bar doesn't fill the entire width. When I DO force 16:10, it stays the same. 4:3 and 5:4 are the only ratios that actually have a full width status bar for some reason, despite the status bar being scalable directly (I mean it's 5.25 * 320 = 1680 for my monitor's max resolution). r_viewsize reports as 1680x882, which is weird as hell. What exactly is going on?

There are two different aspect ratios: logical (pixels) and physical (dimensions)
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Aspect_ratio

CRT monitors could change the logical ratio without changing the physical ratio just by changing resolution. LCD monitors cannot; the pixels have a given physical size. So as to preserve the correct physical ratio, ports may fudge a bit with the logical ratio.

Could there be an option to only adhere to logical ratio, then? It would make much more sense to me, anyway.

Edit: Reading the article on Doom Wiki I think I see the problem: I grew up with Doom95, not Dos Doom. The Doom95 screenshot looks a lot more like what I remember. I think the logical ratio display would be the best way to capture a similar look (but not necessarily the same, because that was a little wacked out).

If you want ZDoom to render a multiple of 320x200 in the same way as 320x200, then just force the aspect ratio to 4:3 on your 16:10 resolution. ZDoom does this by default when using 320x200 or 640x400. (If you force 640x400 back to 16:10 the status bar won't fill the screen either. This doesn't apply to 320x200 since the status bar's resolution matches the screen's resolution.)

Thanks for the info in these posts. All this time I've had my GZDoom
resolution/aspect ratio on my 1600x900 monitor set wrong!

Blzut3 said:

If you want ZDoom to render a multiple of 320x200 in the same way as 320x200, then just force the aspect ratio to 4:3 on your 16:10 resolution. ZDoom does this by default when using 320x200 or 640x400. (If you force 640x400 back to 16:10 the status bar won't fill the screen either. This doesn't apply to 320x200 since the status bar's resolution matches the screen's resolution.)

What if you want to use 320x200 or 640x400 on a widescreen monitor, like a widescreen resolution? :P

Spleen said:

What if you want to use 320x200 or 640x400 on a widescreen monitor, like a widescreen resolution? :P

After discovering this thread I set my GZDoom to 1280x720/16:10 with the "force aspect" enabled, and on my 1600x900 monitor it looks perfect full-screen. Until I made this change things all appeared slightly stretched vertically.