Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraboy94

Doom II on UK Television show

haha holy god he sucks way too much to be allowed to play that game on tv.

To think that there are now people who can run through all of these levels with 100% kills in ten seconds. It's amazing what you can do with strafing.

It looks so obviously faked... The status bar is quite blatantly not in sync with the action (e.g., you can see several pain flashes in a row without the health counter changing). I understand why they'd rig such things, but it's done so clumsily and amateurishly...

I remember seeing that long before I actually got Doom II. When I got Doom II finally I remeber thinking on MAP03, "where's the other half of this level?"

Seriously, though, most of the stuff on GM was faked.

Looks like a show made by people who don't know shit about video games for people who don't know shit about video games. Next.

Timeline.

Then again it's not easy to find unless you know exactly for what to look.

It looks legit up until the point he hits 22% health, we get an off-screen shot, then the level changed to the Refueling Base and the status bar de-synchs. I guess the producer realised he was going to die before getting anywhere near 25 kills.

It was a games show for kids really. I'm sure the majority of it was either faked or misinformed but it was a rare example of a games show that was actually popular in the UK so it was a means to an end.

In retrospect it is suprising how hit and miss games format shows have been considering the booming market from MegaDrive/SNES years onwards. There's enough history and trivia to make an interesting show and enough hardcore gamers to impress viewers without having to wheel out a speccy bedwetter from the nearest arcade for a less than convincing challenge.

I seem to remember another Doom Gamesmaster challenge - a Deathmatch on E1M2. This was before I ever deathmatched and I was dying to play after watching it.

Even through the whole thing was rigged, that was the worst Doom 2 playing I've ever seen.

Then there were those "TV games" that were played remotely on certain game shows - Joe Razz was one of them, essentially one of those "3D Interactive Multimedia Virtual Reality" FMV games of the mid 90s, when this stuff was still considered to be the "future of gaming" (yeah right....)

Basically, it was the same old Dragon's Lair/Space Ace gameplay only controlled remotely via phone and the player seeing the action on TV through the game show. A cruder version of what OnLive is trying to pull, basically.

I seem to remember another Doom Gamesmaster challenge - a Deathmatch on E1M2. This was before I ever deathmatched and I was dying to play after watching it.

Yeah a kid took on 3 businessmen on E1M2...probably rigged too as he won so easily iirc.

This kind of reminds me of the really bad and revealing video game mistakes from the movie, The Wizard. Only, this really does have worse footage because the rig editing was quite poor and the player performed even worse.

V1.666 LOL. But he really does suck. They should have flown Yonatan there to play the game and show them how it is really done, even if he slowed down a bit so it was easier for the audience to follow. I real Doom fan would be able to talk really in-depth about the game and tell the audience about all the cool game-play features in this old game. Since it is on Xbox, it is still played and it will never really Die.

But still cool vid though.

#EDIT sry, tl;dr I did not read the date properly. When did the v1.9 patch for Doom2 come out?

InsanityBringer said:
Ahh, the joys of not having autorun. It's actually somewhat weird to see the player move that slow and stupidly.

It's not because of a lack of autorun, but because of not using strafe-running and due to an awkward key setup. I don't use autorun yet move as fast as anyone because I generally keep the run key pressed.

Well, I meant running in general, but it's a little easier to usually assume "autorun" since that seems to be the standard. Or maybe it isn't and I'm just not looking hard enough

I like the whole post-game performance, where the guy tries to act triumphant, yet is so obviously ashamed you can smell it through the screen.

Splatter said:
I like the whole post-game performance, where the guy tries to act triumphant, yet is so obviously ashamed you can smell it through the screen.

Since it's so obvious (to anyone who's played the game) that it's been edited, I wonder why they didn't just do several takes and pick his best performance.

And it also occurs to me that maybe this is what they did... :-P

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Yeah a kid took on 3 businessmen on E1M2...probably rigged too as he won so easily iirc.

Memory might be playing tricks but I thought he was the only player to know the chaingun secret giving him an acute advantage.

Offensively bad. What was with the warp to level 10? WTF is going on there?

Epic Boo.

myk said:

I don't use autorun yet move as fast as anyone because I generally keep the run key pressed.

Why? Wouldn't it make more sense to have always run on and walk when necessary (when is it necessary to walk in Doom?) as opposed to holding the run key all the time?

Yes and also I agree the video is some awful Doom playing.

Banks said:

when is it necessary to walk in Doom?

Two situations mostly. a. when one is ledge walking, ala paper thin, and b. when one is looking to collect but one or two of a selection of tightly packed items.
Still, it's not nearly enough to warrant having to hold the shift key down constantly. Unless of course, you know, that's just how you roll.

However...

Gamesmaster commentator said:

Okay, bit quieter now: bit of time to rest, recuperate, get his thoughts together.

When was the last time you had to "get your thoughts together", rest, and recuperate in Doom? That's what the intermission screens are for, if anything!

Bank said:

Yes and also I agree the video is some awful Doom playing.

I wouldn't even call it "doom playing" or proper "playing" of anything, for that matter (except maybe his wee-wee): it looks like a random-ass collage from various gameplay fragment videos, and the guy was just mashing buttons as if in some Hollywood bullshit.

Probably they realized that it's not possible to pack enough breathtaking action in 2-3 minutes (even a world-class speedrun would've taken nearly half an hour, plus it wouldn't look too impressive to non-Doomers on TV). Think about it, a "serious" Doom speedrun looks like a guy hurrying to catch a bus, dodging shit, and at some point the exit switch is hit and WHAM, it's over. Impressive for a Doomer, but not TV-marketable.

They obviously wanted something to show off "progress" in 2-3 minutes and so they shat this big pile of anal shit. This e.g. playing Super Mario and taking the short path to World 5-1: Warp on 1-2 to 4-1, Warp on 4-2 to 5-1. Now, that looks impressive right? And takes about 2-3 minutes to pull off.