Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Maes

Doom for Android source code?

Since I recently had to delve into the dark and unwholesome pits of Android development, I remembered the ruckus the "Doom for Android" port had caused, the whole story behind the registered IWADs it had bundled etc.

However, the obvious question from a dev. point of view is: how did they do it? Doom Android development is supposed to be done in Java, which is then compiled to a proprietary .dex bytecode format, so that means they already solved what hasn't been solved in the last 15 years in a breeze.

The problem is that I can't verify this, since not only is the actual doom-for-android .apk hard to find, the source code (if it ever was made public) is even harder to find, and I'd definitively like to give it a peek...if it's pure Java, then they actually pulled off more of a stunt than they (and the world) realized. If it's just a mixed Java + C affair...back to square one for everyone. But in either case, I need the source code to find out.

Does anyone here have a complete archive of it? Even an early version?

Edit: never mind...I found this book which explains it all: the actual doom engine is still a C library linked to Java with JNI. Java is only used to create the Activity context and a simple launcher interface. So this is yet another case of a "Java Doom" that ain't the real deal....

I think the Google Code project was shut down because I reported them for distributing IWADs illegally. That's pretty funny, I just expected Google to delete the offending files.

You can still get the engine APKs on the Google Group files page: http://groups.google.com/group/doom-for-android/files

AFAIK you can use ADB (part of the Android SDK) to install it in the Emulator (also part of the SDK), though it'd probably run even slower than it does on the phone. You could also just get a cheap G1 off eBay.

If you look around xda-developers forums there are modifiers/decompilers for the APK (sure they are just a zipfile but they do contain binary XML).

Meh, won't bother. There are more useful code snippets in Doomcott (by decompiling it) and Ruin/stark (BTW, standalone STARK source code is also very hard to come by).

In any case, I pretty much settled on my own coding conventions and approaches on how to handle data/objectify the various modules and structs.

Maes said:

Edit: never mind...I found this book which explains it all: the actual doom engine is still a C library linked to Java with JNI. Java is only used to create the Activity context and a simple launcher interface. So this is yet another case of a "Java Doom" that ain't the real deal....

Cheers Maes, yes this is what I thought too for such an expedient implementation. I have a Java background, and JNI knowledge I'm thinking is a real cool thing to have for general android programming. Not used JNI much yet, but this could be a good excuse :-)