Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

Trine 2!?

Finally, a fantastical side scroller slash platformer type game thing that I can actually look forward to! Why, I havn't touched its like since Captain Claw, or that other one with the ape that looks like a donkey!

Thanks a million Jodders. I want too!

No, no, no...

- Slow paced gameplay (like Mario 3 with the mini goombas crawling on you)
- Style over substance
- Ultra formulaic, overused premise
- Gratuitous use of color

But I guess if all you want is eye candy and a happy-go-lucky storyline then go for it.

Bah, I thought this was going to be a thread about some hot Danish chick called Trine.

AndrewB said:

- Slow paced gameplay (like Mario 3 with the mini goombas crawling on you)

I love a good TBS, so sure.

AndrewB said:

- Style over substance

I guess you never played the first one, the gameplay was near perfect.

AndrewB said:

- Ultra formulaic, overused premise

Doom?

AndrewB said:

- Gratuitous use of color

Well, I for one love the fairy tale-like atmosphere of Trine. It's a welcome change of pace after, well, everything else in video games.

- Slow paced gameplay

This kind of comment about a platformer in which you can go as fast as you want baffles me ; sure, you can purposefully stop and take more time than is truly needed to play the game, but it's a personal choice and not the way you have to play. Do you also consider classic Doom and Quake to have slow paced gameplay simply because the player can choose to hide behind corners, shoot a few zombies and rest as long as he wants ?

One of the most commonly heard complaints these days from gamers is that streamlined experiences make games dull and bland, yet when developers actually give players a choice, such as rhythm, some will then shoehorn themselves into the safest option and complain the game isn't fun that way, rather than try to play differently.

Phml said:

This kind of comment about a platformer in which you can go as fast as you want baffles me ;

Really? Stacking boxes and planks to get past some arbitrary obstacles that I can't ninja rope in any way seems slow and boring to me regardless of how fast I can do it. Same goes for 'combat', repetitive and boring regardless if it's melee, shooting arrows or dropping stuff on their heads the enemies are all helpless fodder posing no challenge at all.

The forge with all the lava and the final boss level were the only remotely interesting ones.

Style over substance is an accurate description I'd use as well.

I'd rather play Lost Vikings again than waste time with the sequel.

I would LOVE to see a new Keen game like this.

Jodwin said:

Doom?

What about Doom? Sure, it had an absurd premise, but it didn't force a shitty story down your throat by making you watch torturous introductions and cringeworthy cutscenes.

I feel like modern video games have taken all of the gameplay depth of an AddictingGames.com flash game and combined it with the artistic quality of a $3 straight-to-DVD animated movie to create epic titles that shiteating gamers buy by the millions. One example of this: Monster Hunter 3.

Well, I for one love the fairy tale-like atmosphere of Trine. It's a welcome change of pace after, well, everything else in video games.

Yes because games like World of Warcraft, Dragon's Quest, Final Fantasy, Animal Crossing, are clearly undersupported and underdeveloped.

AndrewB said:

Yes because games like World of Warcraft, Dragon's Quest, Final Fantasy, Animal Crossing, are clearly undersupported and underdeveloped.

Fantasy =/= fairy tale.