Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Anyone know how to Map for Chasm?

Asking it here, yep here. Anyways, does anyone here know how to actually use one of the map editor maps (The Custom Maps) for Chasm: The Rift? Or is it not possible to use them at all (Thus the lack of any user created map on the internet...)?

I don't know if any one here has ever heard of/played Chasm: The Rift, but the fun game came out in the midst of Quake fever, and due to a few small differences (Smoother Animations, 2.5D) it was put out as Poor Man's Quake? Remember anyone?

I haven't played it in years, but yes it did come with a working editor. I made a few test levels, but if I recall correctly it was really limited as far as how large you could make a level and how many objects you could put in it. Basically the editor reminded me of a Wolfenstein editor, you just placed tiles on the floor, then you could place entities on those tiles, along with prefab structures like tables and barrells, everything ended up being 90 degrees, not really a great editor. I also recall you were forced to select a certain level type, egyptian, medieval, alien, or military base, no mix and matching. Again, it's been over a decade since I used it, and I doubt it'll work on Vista, since I could barely get it working on XP, but it did come with an editor, albeit a crap one. I think the lack of levels more points to the fact that it was an unknown game with quite a few crap aspects, but some redeeming qualities.

Clonehunter said:

I don't know if any one here has ever heard of/played Chasm: The Rift, but the fun game came out in the midst of Quake fever, and due to a few small differences (Smoother Animations, 2.5D) it was put out as Poor Man's Quake?

It's my understanding that Chasm: The Rift came out exactly the same time as Quake2.

I don't think the Wolf3D-ish limitations are because of the editor; it's because of the engine... It really wasn't that great. They put in a couple of gimmick features in an attempt to gloss over the horrible fundamental limitations of the engine.

wasn't that bad actually, but it wasn't really good either.

I remember downloading the official alpha of the expansion they cancled.
you could check that out, however I think it's just one map or something.

david_a said:

I don't think the Wolf3D-ish limitations are because of the editor; it's because of the engine... It really wasn't that great. They put in a couple of gimmick features in an attempt to gloss over the horrible fundamental limitations of the engine.

Right, the limitations as far as 90 degree angles, and the only difference in height was a staircase or ledge roughly half the height of the player. No room over room function, or even large differences in height as doom had are limitations of the engine itself. But the editor seemed even more limited as to how large you could make a level or how many entities you could put in it. I couldn't create a level even half the size of the ones seen in the game, usually it was just a hallway with a 90 degree curve, short hallway, 90 degree turn, and then halfway down the new hallway it stopped letting me place new tiles or entities.

However the game wasn't all bad. I still think it had interesting enemies and weapons, and the fact that you could shoot arms or legs off of the human enemies was entertaining at least. If you shot off their arms, they would run at you and start kicking. It also had decapitations and rain, which weren't something I had really seen at that point.

Aliotroph? said:

Wikipedia claims you can use XWE on it. How do you guys know all these weird FPS games I've never heard of?

Yah I read that too. I'm not sure if that's possible. Probally just some moron who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Anyways, I've already created a map, but how do I actually play it?

It does support it. It reads the contents and lets you extract them, and probably import them in raw form, identifying some resources by their header.

Just because XWE doesn't do everything it can do for DOOM it doesn't mean a game isn't supported. Other games, like Quake and DemonStar, are also supported in this way.

Even Wintex 4.3 could do some of that with Quake and Duke3D.

Now I wish I could see the map editor for this thing. I like poking at tools for weird games. This game certainly is weird. It also appears to go out of its way to rip off Quake.

Aliotroph? said:

Even Wintex 4.3 could do some of that with Quake and Duke3D.

Now I wish I could see the map editor for this thing. I like poking at tools for weird games. This game certainly is weird. It also appears to go out of its way to rip off Quake.

Yeah, but that's because they used the WAD format for some things. Like Duke3d used the WAD format for storing the audio chat macros/taunts. It just didn't call it .WAD.