Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been working on a Rise of the Triad TC for Zdoom for awhile now (with 5hfifty), it's coming along nicely.

Anyway I've made a page about so here it is.

You can see a few screenshots and there's a link to my youtube page with vids.

I suggest to fix your website. For some reason the scrollbar in Firefox is disabled for me so I can't see the lower parts.

Why would I want to play your TC and not the original game in source port?

"All new maps using zdoom features, however there is a definite ROTT 'feel' to them, its a kind of tribute to the orignal but with polyangle(?) walls."

I'm looking forward to the release of this TC. How many maps will there be?

Wow those screenshots look great so I look forward to play a ROTT TC :D

el zee said:

there's a link to my youtube page with vids.

That link is broken :(

DaniJ said:

Because the original maps suck due to engine limitations and the controls are strange.

DaniJ said:

Hey! Which source port can play ROTT? It would be awesome in GZDoom.

jukenukem4d said:

Hey! Which source port can play ROTT? It would be awesome in GZDoom.

There are at least two ROTT source ports that I know of. First port of call imo is WinROTTGL.

I actually really enjoy ROTT but for me, the original maps aren't even a factor in the fun equation. Its all about the weapons and multiplayer. Hence why I enquired as to the point of a TC given I can already play the original game in a port designed to play it in the first place (with most of the enhancements that GZdoom might bring to the table). I don't need new maps because the ROTT gameplay mechanics do not rely on them.

So I guess what I'm really saying is: what else is there to this project besides the new maps?

Oh, so this project isn't dead? Well, that's a relief. I was starting to lose hope for a while.

DaniJ said:

So I guess what I'm really saying is: what else is there to this project besides the new maps?

What else do you need? That's really what it boils down to here -- if you don't feel like playing new maps, then just play regular ROTT. Simple as that.

In this case, making a game TC is justified on the grounds that it lifts an arseload of mapping limitations. That's not to say the original ROTT wasn't fun or had horrible maps at all (I love the game, for the record), of course, but there are plenty of things you couldn't do in a ROTT map that the authors here want to do, hence why they're not just making a set of ROTT maps in the first place.

At any rate, this is looking promising as always. Keep it up!

I think my comments are being largely misunderstood here. ROTT was always about multiplayer for me. The singleplayer campaign was a yawn-fest not because of engine limitations but because of the gameplay mechanics. In multiplayer ROTT is another story completely.

So given the project does not intend to change the gameplay mechanics (i.e., it is self-proclaimed total conversion!) surely what we'll get is: singleplayer yawn fest with slopes.

Do try to understand the point I'm making before shouting me down.

Videos look awesome. Are you planning on adding auto up and down looking? I always liked how the camera would tilt up and down when you aimed at enemies above or below you.

Well,I was looking forward to Blood TC,but that's never going to come out with all of the levels. And I have never played Blood,in which I really wanted too.

Even though I heard that Rise of the Traid was a good game,I was never really that interested in it,but hell,I'll give this one a shot when a deathmatch beta or single player beta comes out in the mean time.

This looks fantastic! It's great to see how those engine limitations won't be a factor anymore, and the TC appears to be pretty faithful in the other respects. Hopefully the camera tilt can be achieved.

IMO, Blood shouldn't be ported to Doom. I played ZBlood sometime ago and the engine didn't appear to be up to the task, unlike with ROTT. There's always DOSBox if you're interested.

Now that I've seen the videos (the link on your homepage is broken btw) I can see that there is indeed a fair bit more to the project. Nice work. I'll keep an eye out for this.

I'm very glad to see you're attempting to emulate ROTT's rather interesting take on physic simulation. A lot of projects similar to this tend to think they're 'done' once the resources are ripped.

First of all thanks a lot for the comments.

I fixed the broken youtube link: see it here

DaniJ said:

I think my comments are being largely misunderstood here. ROTT was always about multiplayer for me. The singleplayer campaign was a yawn-fest not because of engine limitations but because of the gameplay mechanics. In multiplayer ROTT is another story completely.

So given the project does not intend to change the gameplay mechanics (i.e., it is self-proclaimed total conversion!) surely what we'll get is: singleplayer yawn fest with slopes.

Do try to understand the point I'm making before shouting me down.

Well I started this just to see if it could be done, kinda like the wolfenstein 3d tc, and because I wanted to make some cool maps.

I happen to like singleplayer maps?! especially non-linear ones, so I have made them fun to play with traps and the like. Maybe I went a bit overboard on the detail in some parts - maybe. heh

There is multiplayer (you can view the vid on my youtube page), it's a blast - the extreme weapons make it so much fun.

The Handgun is kinda similar looking to the gun from Aliens Trilogy (Does somebody know how to hack that?). And the one white weapon is strikingly similar to the big gun from Strife...

Clonehunter said:

The Handgun is kinda similar looking to the gun from Aliens Trilogy (Does somebody know how to hack that?). And the one white weapon is strikingly similar to the big gun from Strife...

As far as I know, ROTT used photos and models to make all their sprites, actors and weapons included.

Looking forward to this! RotT is one of my favorite 90s shooters, and it did a lot of things "right" ahead of its time with traps and enemy abilities. I think the original charm and atmosphere of the game would not hold up perfectly in the form of TC (then again, I always play these sorts of things in DOSBox with Soundblaster emulation), but it opens up a plethora of mapping opportunities in the spirit of the game and I'd love to try multiplayer. Best of luck!

EDIT: Don't forget to include the upbeat 90s musical score.

rf` said:

As far as I know, ROTT used photos and models to make all their sprites, actors and weapons included.

Yup.