Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Most depressing quote

The most depressing quote I've ever heard is the one down in my sig.

To g\really get the emotion, read the Watchmen boook.

[Mod edit:]For the vast majority of you who have sigs not shown, here is the quote:

"Heard Joke Once. Man goes to Doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatning world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor...

I am Pagliacci." Good Joke. Evrybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains." - Rorschach, October 16th, 1985

"the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows

the government is corrupt
and we're on so many drugs
with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

I said: "Kiss me, you're beautiful - these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

I open up my wallet and it's full of blood."

The end. :) :) :)

Hey, jokes used by Alan Moore!

"See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum... and one night, one night they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moon light... stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend didn't dare make the leap. Y'see... Y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea...

He says "Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!"

B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... He says "Wh-what do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!"

The most important for a depressing quote isn't the content, but how you say it (it is in French but well, you will get the idea).

"life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% mortality"

songs:
Beck - The Spirit Moves Me
Beck Modesto
Mad World - Gary Jules
Nirvana - Something In The Way

"Almighty Ruler of the All
Whose pow'r extends to great and small
Who guides the stars with steadfast law
Whose least creation fills with awe
O grant Thy mercy and Thy grace
To those who venture into space"

-Robert A. Heinlein's proposed hymn for the Space Mirror.

I find no point in depressing over something somebody said (or in depressing, for that matter), so i'll offer you with an awesome quote instead:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds (girls) and fast cars. The rest I just squandered".
- George Best, God-like football player and person.

"It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream - a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought - a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!"

AgentSpork said:

the dead flag blues

i love you.

K!r4 said:

The most important for a depressing quote isn't the content, but how you say it

i agree. beth gibbons singing daily news would be a powerful wmd.

"My car is in the shop and there's a Uwe Boll marathon on this weekend."

Related to games

"What's happening with video games is the same thing that happens with anything new and interesting. At the beginning, everybody wants to see what it is. They gather around and check it out. But gradually, people start to lose interest.

"The people who don't lose interest become more and more involved...And the medium starts to be influenced by only those people. It becomes something exclusive to the people who've stuck with it for a long time. And when the people who were interested in it at first look back at it, it's no longer the thing that interested them."

— Shigeru Miyamoto

"The moon is so beautiful. It's a big silver dollar, flipped by God, and it landed scarred side up... So he made the world."
- Harvey Dent

I'll contribute a few. Not the most depressing quotes I've heard, but the best I can remember off the top of my head.

"Fake Tears bring misery to those around you. Fake smiles bring misery to ones self." - CC from Code Geass

I could pull a few others from this series, but they contain spoilers.

"I won't take a bath in the same water that Misato and stupid Shinji have used... And I won't use a washer that Misato and Shinji the dork have used, for washing underwear... And I don't want to use a toilet that's been used, not by the two of them... I don't even want to breathe the same air they do, not the two of them. I hate Misato, and I hate Shinji, and I hate that First Child bitch Rei! I hate my dad, I hate my mom! But mostly, most of all, I hate myself! I hate this! I can't stand it anymore! Why do I have to do this! Why me?!" - Asuka, Evangelion

Coopersville said:

"The moon is so beautiful. It's a big silver dollar, flipped by God, and it landed scarred side up... So he made the world."
- Harvey Dent

Damn...

The sun is burning in the sky
Strands of clouds go slowly drifting by
In the park the lazy breeze
Are joining in the flowers, among the trees
And the sun burns in the sky

Now the sun is in the West
Little kids go home to take their rest
And the couples in the park
Are holdin' hands and waitin' for the dark
And the sun is in the West

Now the sun is sinking low
Children playin' know it's time to go
High above a spot appears
A little blossom blooms and then draws near
And the sun is sinking low

Now the sun has come to Earth
Shrouded in a mushroom cloud of death
Death comes in a blinding flash
Of hellish heat and leaves a smear of ash
And the sun has come to Earth

Now the sun has disappeared
All is darkness, anger, pain and fear
Twisted, sightless wrecks of men
Go groping on their knees and cry in pain
And the sun has disappeared

Franz Kafka said:

A first sign of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die.

And unto Ad'am he said, Because thou hast
hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and
hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded
thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it:
cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow
shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
- Genesis 3:17

I'm doing tech for a play (4.48 Psychosis by Sarah Kane) that has some rather depressing text. The source of the play is a suicide note.

"Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you for rejecting me by never being there, fuck you for making me feel like shit about myself, fuck you for bleeding the fucking love and life out of me, fuck my father for fucking up my life for good and fuck my mother for not leaving him, but most of all, fuck you God for making me love a person who does not exist.
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU."

"The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."
-Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision

“I did not direct my life. I didn't design it. I never made decisions. Things always came up and made them for me. That's what life is.”

“The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. The mystery which surrounds a thinking machine already surrounds a thinking man.”

it would be fun if we could vote on the various quotes. the ones i would vote on would be number 1: kafka quote, 2: adam and eve. 3. to some extent, the first quote in OP's sig. None of the others one really did anything for me, as far as having an effect on my mood.

@andrewb: I was gonna say it needed less.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glittering in the darkness of Tennhauser Gate. Now all those moments are lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." -- Roy, Bladerunner

BlackFish said:

I'm doing tech for a play (4.48 Psychosis by Sarah Kane) that has some rather depressing text. The source of the play is a suicide note.

r u paul schrader

"And man is just a child
Defective and diseased
And I grow so fearful for their kin
As I watch the sickness breed
Some will find them worthy of salvation
But to what end?
I've seen a man rape his only child
And murdered one who he called a friend"

From the song, "Song for Samael" by Ego Likeness. The last two lines especially put me in a sad mood for the rest of the day.

"Slowly but surely the sea is freezing over."

Any quote by Captain Scott is haunting and horrifying, you must consider that from the getgo the only thing he did on his journey was watch others' deaths and wait for his own.