Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

can it be done? i need your help.

ok here goes. i need a new computer. it has to be faster than 500 mhz, and an amd.
i already have almost everything else, so its not that important.
what i need is:
an amd processor.
a socket a mobo.
and some ram for it.

i found some descent things on the net but i am afraid that it will cost more than i am hoping abecause of the cost and shipping and etc. i am willing to pay $150
this is all the money i have at the moment cus i am lazy and i dont have a job.

also, there is this super computer sale coming up pretty soon over ehere and i was just wondering, what should or what should i not look for in terms of hardware and reliability, such as sdram over ddram and the such.

wtf is wrong with amd? explain why.

who said there was anything wrong with amd?

As far as RAM goes, www.ramdepot.com is a good place for ram at a low cost. You'd have to check it out yourself for the prices, that's all I can help ya with though. =/

AMD Mobo, Processor and RAM for under $150? Can it be done you ask? Superior to 500Mhz as well? Let's see....

$44 Duron 1Ghz (Phone order only, Econo PC)
$74 Shuttle AK31A (Many sites, BADASSED mobo)
$31 PC2100 DDR 128Mb
===
$149

Realize shipping will bring that up a bit. I wouldn't recommend going below 1Ghz with a Duron... that's when the processor truly came into it's own (also when it got P3 SSE instructions). You can probably find a different motherboard if you want but I really like that one.

Oh yeah, BTW, I got those prices right here.

As for what you should look for, upgradeability is very important. The Shuttle AK31A has four DDR slots... jamming in four cheapass 128's will get you 512Mb of RAM. It also has full support for the latest AthlonXP's... so when one of those becomes affordable you can just pop your Duron out and slip an AthlonXP in (and have a Pentium-4 stomping machine).

The Shuttle AK31A also has SIX PCI slots, so you'll have plenty of room for whatever shit you want to add. It also has a CNR slot I think, that might mean something to you, it doesn't to me mostly because I have no idea what the hell it is nor what cards are available to be used with one. =P

If you really have to save on price you could drop the Duron to 800 or 900Mhz and find a different mobo. The Shuttle AK31A is pretty new still, you might want one a few months older... the prices will definitely be more reasonable. Just make sure that when you find the name and model of one you're interested in to Google it... if you find 500 forum messages of people bitching about how terrible it is, keep looking. =)

so basically what are some mobo's that are cheap, but still kick ass?
o and why a duron over an athlon? i picked the athlon mainly because i can overclock it and its pretty cheap.

ok i have narowed it down, but i am wondering what type of ram i should get for my mobo? ( keep in mind i will get a crap load ( like 8 megs)) so i can play jill of the jungle!!!
err....
basically which is better
ddr ram
sdram
dram

ok i have narowed it down, but i am wondering what type of ram i should get for my mobo? ( keep in mind i will get a crap load ( like 8 megs)) so i can play jill of the jungle!!!
err....
basically which is better
ddr ram
sdram
dram

RDRAM

I have 512MB DDR and it's perfect. I usually don't use more than 200-400 of it, but I know that I'd never manage with 256. Never had a disk swap since I got my computer, no matter how much programs I've been running at once. Fast shit =]

512 is a luxury. When iget my new machine (when oh when?) I'd want it to have 512 ddr and two more slots at least, though by teh time i get round to doing it 2048 ddr will probbaly be the norm :P

512 is a luxury. When iget my new machine (when oh when?) I'd want it to have 512 ddr and two more slots at least, though by teh time i get round to doing it 2048 ddr will probbaly be the norm :P

I really DO NOT hope ddr will be the standard when 2048 megs are the norm.