Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jukenukem4d

Please help with Doom in Hexen format... -.-

Are there any example .WADs that show you how to add basic features, such as teleporting and elevators? It seems really hard to do at first in Hexen format. Thanks in advance.

There's no real difference with the Doom format. All you have to keep in mind is that there a lot less specials (because instead they're parameterized) and that the activation method is separated from the flag (the default is "player walks over" BTW).

Notable differences:

• Linedef types can accept up to 5 arguments. For example, if you choose a door type action, it might have such parameters like "speed" and "delay". "Linedef types" are called "action specials" in ZDoom-Hexen format.
  • Linedefs can have different types of triggers which are independent of the actual linedef types. Examples include "player crosses line", "monster crosses line", "projectile crosses line", "player uses line", "player bumps into line", etc...
  • Things can have actions like linedefs do. When a monster is killed, the action will trigger, and if the thing is an item, the action will trigger. These are also parameterized.
  • You can set the initial height of a thing. This is often used for bridge things, making monsters or items float, or placing a teleport destination in midair.
  • Things can have a "tag" like linedefs or sectors, called a thing ID (TID). This is how teleport linedefs work, by teleporting to a specified TID.
  • There are also things you can place in your map called "sector actions", which trigger when a player interacts with the sector these are in. The most common one is "Actor Touches Floor" (type 9999) which can be used for instant-death floors or teleport pads. You can set a thing action on them (see point 3 above) and set parameters accordingly.
Once you understand these basic concepts, everything else is pretty much about exploring all the available action specials and what they are capable of. Remember that the ZDoom Wiki is an invaluable source of information, you should check it out.

I can't get teleports or lifts to work. For a teleport, I select the linedefs and mark them as "70 - Teleport" then choose the sector tag. Then I create the sector and put a teleport destination in it, as is the protocol for Doom in Doom format, but it doesn't work! ):

For lift, I choose "lift lower to lowest floor" but it never goes back up. What's the deal?

Thanks for all responses.

I had lift - lower to nearest. Plat_DownWaitUpStay works great!

However, I still can't get the 70 - teleport working. *sigh*

I have checked all the tags of the linedefs and the sector tags. Example WAD plawkz? What would you use to make a teleport?

You can use sector tags with teleports in Hexen format but the more common method is to use thing ids (tids). Set the arg on your line 70 then place your teleport destination where you want it to be and make its tid match the argument on the line.

This system frees you from sector tags for teleports and allows you to, for example, have two different teleport landings in the same sector.