Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

cool / infamous things you've done

What are some of the coolest or most infamous things you've done?
What haven't you done that you still want to?

what i've done:
In New Zealand
435 foot bungee jump (Nevis)
sky diving (and in Pennsylvania)
swimming with dolphins

in australia:
ride in hot air balloon
snorkling on great barrier reef in Whitsundays.

climbed:
uluru, in red center, outback australia
leach infested mountain near cape tribulation, Australia (that was a bit of a nightmare)
Andes in Peru
some mountains in northern India
Mt. Katadin in Maine as well as some in the Adirondacks

white water rafting in California

recent highlights:
swam in Jackson lake in Jackson Hole, WY
Climbed up to Balanced rock in Arches nat'l park.

things i'd still like to do:
rent an exotic for a day (preferably a 911 Turbo)

* I had bad TV reception, so I made a huge antenea made of metal coat hangers (bent to how I needed them) taped to the wall. It took up half the room but I got great reception!
* I got banned from ##java for writing a program that dynamically loads a class and places all member methods based on their name (such as "func128" being put into spot 128) into an array and executes them when that number is reached when executing byte code.

GhostlyDeath said:

* I had bad TV reception, so I made a huge antenea made of metal coat hangers (bent to how I needed them) taped to the wall. It took up half the room but I got great reception!
* I got banned from ##java for writing a program that dynamically loads a class and places all member methods based on their name (such as "func128" being put into spot 128) into an array and executes them when that number is reached when executing byte code.

haha, that reminds me. In keyboarding in Freshman year of high school I edited autoexec.bat and REMed out win.com and put instead @echo off, Windows has been deleted. When I was a senior I installed doom on the computers so we could DM in a class where we helped build and setup computers to be sold. Both instances I got in trouble, but no real punishment.

The coolest thing for me was, when I found out that my newest computer was able to handle the most important video games for me like "Half Life 1" and "Doom 1" with ZDoom. I installed these video games on a very high working computer together with other important games.

Deeforce said:

The coolest thing for me was, when I found out that my newest computer was able to handle the most important video games for me like "Half Life 1" and "Doom 1" with ZDoom. I installed these video games on a very high working computer together with other important games.

that is cool, but the assignment asked you to list the cool things you've done not the things in your life that were cool. D. Try to follow the assignment next time. I don't want to have to report your poor performance to your parents.

I played human frogger at the largest intersection in the world. It may or may not have been on purpose, but I managed to not die, so it must've not sucked that badly.

On that note, Tokyo is well worth the visit.

haha, i recently played frogger online. Maybe this thread should also include the craziest things you've done.

I think the only really cool thing I've ever done was winning a martial arts championship... January 1996, back when WMAC was still holding tournaments (they stopped in 2001 I believe). It was me versus Richard "Dice" Long in a three-point match. I won 3 to 0... he had never had to deal with an Aikido stylist (he's primarily Shotokan and Hapkido, I'm primarily Aikido and Muay Thai) so he wasn't prepared, despite being a lot more skilled than me. I retired from martial arts competition soon after that though because of my back and never got back into it. But I still have the right to say that I was the Northeastern Champion for a little while. :)

I once built an elaborate array of christmas lights that effectively free-floated in the middle of my bedroom. Said string of lights was hooked up to a switched outlet (so I could turn the rig on and off with the lightswitch), and the reason it was free-floating is because my room has a very tall vaulted ceiling. It was pretty awesome to light my whole room with christmas lights...shame it didn't last, as the rig kept losing its thumb tacks and disjointing in critical places. In retrospect, I probably could have made it more stable by using picture hangers instead of thumb tacks.

The Good:

- Spent a few days in the Amazon
- While there, got two small monkeys sitting on my lap at once (have a pic of it)
- Got to ride a horse in the Andes Mountains
- Did a series of ziplines across a valley in the Andes. It took me a while before I learned how to slow down before impact
- Got to see the Galapagos and was able to go in a pitch black cavern with water where I swam around
- Went cliff jumping in the Caribbean
- Went scuba diving in the Caribbean

The Dumb:

- Walked on a shallow frozen stream knowing full well the ice would crack; it did
- While trying to climb some rocks I tied a rope around a tree and the other end around my wrist. I fell and was stuck hanging by my wrist
- During an 8th grade science lab where we did something with electricity, I connected a couple clamps to a battery and then connected the other ends to my tongue. It tasted tingly
- Lit an aerosol can on fire in a wooded area. Upon realization of my stupidity I tried to put it out by kicking it which ended with it erupting in a big flame
- While in the Galapagos, a friend and I crawled into a sea lion cave which was empty. They are very loud and annoying animals
- Posted all the dumb shit I did on a forum

zap610 said:

The Good:

- Got to ride a horse in the Andes Mountains

[/b]
same! Also nearly passed out from a bout of hyperventilation syndrome.

- Did a series of ziplines across a valley in the Andes. It took me a while before I learned how to slow down before impact
- Got to see the Galapagos and was able to go in a pitch black cavern with water where I swam around

I did a zipline this summer. But I didn't pay--I borrowed my friend's harness, and then he didn't take proper time to explain how to do it, and my hands were in the wrong place--was still fun tho.
In new zealand, went tubing in a cave.. Didn't swim around, but there were glow worms? or something on the ceiling of the cave--looked like stars.

The Dumb:

- Walked on a shallow frozen stream knowing full well the ice would crack; it did
- While trying to climb some rocks I tied a rope around a tree and the other end around my wrist. I fell and was stuck hanging by my wrist
- Lit an aerosol can on fire in a wooded area. Upon realization of my stupidity I tried to put it out by kicking it which ended with it erupting in a big flame
- While in the Galapagos, a friend and I crawled into a sea lion cave which was empty. They are very loud and annoying animals
- Posted all the dumb shit I did on a forum

But weren't the dumb things worth it? I think those are all pretty cool. well, minus the aerosol one. Near the house I grew up there was an old abandoned resort called Jug End. There were all these old abandoned buildings, totally trashed. My friends and I used to go explore there sometimes. Once we decided to make a fire in the fireplace of one of the main buildings after screwing around with aerosol cans, spraying fire etc. We threw a bunch of crap into the fire in the fireplace. Well, you can imagine the chimney wasn't exactly clean.... Of course this did not occur to 14 year olds. Started a chimney fire. I had just gotten the registered version of doom like the day before, and was trying to enjoy it since I was so excited to finally be playing beyond the first episode which I had played to death to that point. Maybe my paranoia of the cops and fire trucks that went whizzing through town augmented the experience of sloughing my way through the Shores of Hell.

@wild weasel: i did a similar thing in my room once. I thought it looked really cool, but mine weren't hovering quite like you described.

a lot of funny/cool things posted here!

Cool things:

1. I won 75$ in a school art contest in the 2nd Grade. It wasn't even close in terms of competition. I just drew a marker colored neighborhood full of people interacting and animals, trees and such. Everyone else just drew one house really big and drew one family. LAME! I did get special treatment, however. I requested not to have a partner and I was given extra time to complete it.

2. I'm drawing a blank...

That's it then. The "infamous" list would be pretty entertaining, but I'm not going to post that under a screen name that my girlfriend knows. ;)

Hellbent said:

[/b]same! Also nearly passed out from a bout of hyperventilation syndrome.

Oh god I know. The first day we got there we went on a walk up a hill. After only a few minutes it felt like I'd been going for hours. In a sick twisted way it's kinda cool since it's the first time I experienced it. It was also the first time I got to ride a horse.

Hellbent said:

[/b]I did a zipline this summer. But I didn't pay--I borrowed my friend's harness, and then he didn't take proper time to explain how to do it, and my hands were in the wrong place--was still fun tho.

Yeah, it's not like it was obvious that we had to brake ourselves 9_9.

Hellbent said:

[/b]But weren't the dumb things worth it?

Absolutely.

Also too lazy to fix the broken quotes.

I was in a super mario bros. 3 tournament and came in third place. I spent my reward money on a stuffed dog (because I was obsessed with dogs at the time; and mario)

The Good

Beating IWBTG on Very Hard
Going to college in Boston (the first member of my family to do so)
Winning $200 off of a discarded lottery ticket

The Bad

Nearly got expelled after I stabbed a bully with a pencil
Nearly got expelled after I threw a pair of sicssors at someone's face
Nearly got expelled after I bashed someone with a chair
Realizing college wasn't for me after I spent 2 years of my life

Yeah, if you can't stab gouge and hit your fellow students with chairs. Then the terrorists have won. D:

kristus said:

Yeah, if you can't stab gouge and hit your fellow students with chairs. Then the terrorists have won. D:

My nickname used to be "Spaz" for a very good reason.

All the wins at the drag strip. Exhilarating!

Took a dump in Jack Nicklaus' toilet while installing his pool table.

-----------------------------

Ejected from Pizza Hut, Putt Putt, and every bar in between.

err...Took a dump in Jack Nicklaus' toilet while installing his pool table.

Who the hell let hellbent into New Zealand.

I've done abseiling and made the mistake of going in a slingshot (think of it as a reverse bungie). Made a sound like I crapped myself, but fortunately I didn't

Planky said:

Who the hell let hellbent into New Zealand.

I've done abseiling and made the mistake of going in a slingshot (think of it as a reverse bungie). Made a sound like I crapped myself, but fortunately I didn't

What's wrong with letting hb into nz? Perfectly safe, I assure you. I went zorbing in new zealand. That's pretty nutty stuff right there.

that isn't me in the video. I also climbed on Franz Josef glacier. That was pretty cool.

In June I rode my bicycle from Saint John, New Brunswick to Hamilton, Ontario.
This was my route (roughly, I didn't actually go on any major highways but most of the roads I did take ran pretty close to them)

For Christmas I built my girlfriend a moon laser. It was a big styrofoam ball that I painted to look like the moon and built a little model of a death ray on with a big led in a "gun" and a big red button that turned it on. It had strings attached to it to hang it on the ceiling.

Mr. Freeze said:

Nearly got expelled after I stabbed a bully with a pencil
Nearly got expelled after I threw a pair of sicssors at someone's face
Nearly got expelled after I bashed someone with a chair
Realizing college wasn't for me after I spent 2 years of my life

So you did all these things, and yet someone else at your school was 'the bully?'

lol.

Tho to be fair, I am glad you stuck up for yourself. Bullies can make school life pretty miserable.

Jodwin said:

Been to a maid cafe in Akiba.

I did that. Too weird. Way too weird. The guy sitting a table designed for one, playing his pink PSP, was weirder. In another such cafe there was the lonely guy having the waitresses singing Happy Birthday. Depressing.

Speaking of Japan, we accidentally found one of Nintendo's buildings in Kyoto when we were looking for something else. When we pointed that out, our friend there mentioned Nintendo's original building was a block away from our hostel. It was also a block away from the local Yakuza office. :D

Walked up the Great Wall of China. Not very far, mind you. Way too tiring, slippery and hot. That's one of those things that is obviously a tourist trap in the way they run it, but too damn cool for anybody to care. Also ate a huge centipede on a stick in Beijing, mostly to gross out all the Chinese people with us that week.

When I was driving through Kruger Park in South Africa with dad, a leopard starting stalking my side of the car while my window was open. Dad saw it and I've never seen him step on the gas so hard at any other time in my life. lol

Stuck my finger in a light-switch box last Halloween. That shock felt really weird, even compared with other shocks I've ha before.

Kyka said:

So you did all these things, and yet someone else at your school was 'the bully?'

lol.

Tho to be fair, I am glad you stuck up for yourself. Bullies can make school life pretty miserable.

I never went out of my to hurt anyone. All of those things were retribution for people pissing me off. I had a couple of screws loose when I was 12.