Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

I love it, though for some reason the first thing I was immediately drawn to was the great level of contrast the sky brings to the otherwise monochromatic environment.

Yeah, the gorgeous sky really sells it. I would probably lower the contrast on that main horizontal texture though.

Nomad said:

Yeah, the gorgeous sky really sells it. I would probably lower the contrast on that main horizontal texture though.

If he does that, I'll blame you. On a completely unrelated note, what is your home adress?

DuckReconMajor said:

First one looks better imo.

DRM, honestly, you should listen to Jodwin. :D

exl said:

screenshots

*dribbles*

dutch devil said:

I thought the project Exl, me and DooMAD are working on is supposed to remain secret.

That's why I didn't name it. And by then, nobody will remember.

Secret-ish, heh. We might need to recruit more mappers at some point, so we can't keep too quiet about it.

love it.. i cant think that this is Doom...

F-word i wish that i could mapp like that :(

DuckReconMajor said:

The Hellene heaven?

Sorry DRM, just my lame attempt at humor.

Malinku pasted two screenies of his level, both of which were identical.

You, being the witty dude you are, said "I like the first one". Jodwin, just after your post, said "I like the second one". And me, jumping way too late on a bandwagon that had already come and gone, said "DRM, you should listen to Jodwin. He knows what he is talking about."

Its so funny because BOTH PICTURES WERE EXACTLY THE SAME. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLO)OLOLOLOL!!!!!!111!1

I'm Awesome. Really.

Kyka said:

Malinku pasted two screenies of his level, both of which were identical.

You, being the witty dude you are, said "I like the first one". Jodwin, just after your post, said "I like the second one". And me, jumping way too late on a bandwagon that had already come and gone, said "DRM, you should listen to Jodwin. He knows what he is talking about."

Its so funny because BOTH PICTURES WERE EXACTLY THE SAME. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLO)OLOLOLOL!!!!!!111!1

I'm Awesome. Really.

kyka is now diamonds.

DuckReconMajor said:

Uhhh Kyka

That wasn't Jodwin

Kyka looks glumly at his custom title.

Blame Snakes, he wanted a partial invisibility on my map for Plutonia Revisited.
I'm sure I was playtesting the stuff while Kyka has read my post.

Had I known the consequences ahead of time, I never would've said anything. I'm ashamed and humiliated.

Congratulations Snakes. This thread is going to post hell now.

I like the high number of torches...

You should change the texture of the high ceiling outside the pathway. Some contrast there would do a lot for the appearance.

Also, why not raise the side walls of the pathway to a little over 32 units, to make room for both rows of the stone bricks? That would look so much better.

I get completely blocked and map jack-shit 2 1/2 months, and then crank one out in 3 days. Go figure.

scalliano said:

[desperately tries to save the thread from PH]:

Great save, my man. Only pics as neat as that could have done it. Full Marks. :)

Snakes said:

That looks really, really good.

Also, thanks for the diamonds comment, AB. :D

I like it Snakes, looking at the berserk I guess the layout will be good :).

Scalliano's second shot bothers me (well, the first one too, but it's just black and blue and I'm not a huge fan of coloured lightning to begin with...). It looks like an area where you are trying to have some structure and architecture to the place, but it ends up feeling more boring than interesting. I'm not blaming you though, cross shapes like that are challenging, you just either need to break the visual symmetry or make it look interesting somehow.

First of all, I'd rework the outer areas: Add layers to the walls to push the ceiling further away from sight, or alternatively turn the ceilings into nice windows. Skies are an easy way to make many places have more depth. Second, add more textures. GSTONE is great, but especially when you have a less-structurally-varied area like that, you need to add variety into it with textures. The small, moldy green bricks are one potential candidate, also anything metal and rusty works of course. Depending on the overall theme of the map, wood too.

For potential inspiration, here's two green-brick cross-shaped areas that I've done behore:
E4-hell style, excuse the horrible texture alignment (haven't touched this since '07)
Green-tech, but the layering is better here IMO

...And speaking of Green-Tech, Mr Jodwin, that level is simply amazing. And seeing as the version I playtested many months ago was getting towards being finished, I think it is my duty, on behalf of all Doomers, to demand a progress report, or an update or something.

That level is too good to sit mostly finished on your hard drive.

Seriously!

Jodwin said:

Scalliano's second shot bothers me (well, the first one too, but it's just black and blue and I'm not a huge fan of coloured lightning to begin with...). It looks like an area where you are trying to have some structure and architecture to the place, but it ends up feeling more boring than interesting. I'm not blaming you though, cross shapes like that are challenging, you just either need to break the visual symmetry or make it look interesting somehow.

First of all, I'd rework the outer areas: Add layers to the walls to push the ceiling further away from sight, or alternatively turn the ceilings into nice windows. Skies are an easy way to make many places have more depth. Second, add more textures. GSTONE is great, but especially when you have a less-structurally-varied area like that, you need to add variety into it with textures. The small, moldy green bricks are one potential candidate, also anything metal and rusty works of course. Depending on the overall theme of the map, wood too.

For potential inspiration, here's two green-brick cross-shaped areas that I've done behore:
E4-hell style, excuse the horrible texture alignment (haven't touched this since '07)
Green-tech, but the layering is better here IMO

Actually there are skylights there already (out of shot, though, but seriously, there are). I've since made them larger and changed the ceiling textures. These maps have their fair share of rusty metal so a bit more won't hurt :) I see what you're talking about from those shots - up to now I have tried to break up the texturing on the walls, particularly where the marble textures are concerned.

One thing I'm not too fussed on though is detail for detail's sake. I don't want the maps to look too bland of course, but I'm not good a mapper enough yet to start piling on the sectors for the hell of it.

As for the coloured lighting, the wad is PSX-themed, so it's kind of a necessity, but once again I'm trying to maintain a context to it, rather than just smear it all over the place. To do this without it looking like crap does tend to dictate the architechture, too - so far I've managed to avoid the colour-clashing present in a lot of PSX Doom's maps by using height variation between the different coloured areas. So far I think it's working, but I know it's not to everyone's taste.

Any better?

scalliano said:

Any better?

Yeah, it's already a lot better. I'd try to do something about the way the green bricks abruptly turn into METAL (add some borders, add depth, something), but that might be just me. Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree about not doing detail for detail's sake. You can have very good looking maps with very low detail as long as your architecture and texturing are good enough. What even better, good architecture and texturing opposed to insane detail more easily produce cleaner looking maps and actually require less mapping work.