Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

May-Stay-Gayweather

Or maybe this thread should be called Stay-Gay-Mayweather. Call him what you will, Floyd Mayweather is creating quite a stir in the boxing world.

The closest thing to a pseudo-defense of Mayweather I'm hearing is that ducking Pacquiao is part of an elaborate plan by Mayweather to increase interest -- and subsequently the money -- surrounding the fight. That, of course, would not be atypical Mayweather behavior. No one plays the media and boxing public for bigger dupes than him.

What do you think of this drawn out saga? Is Mayweather scared or is this shenanigans to drum up interest in the fight?

Publicity. Stunts like this grab enough attention to mean that people will talk about him outside the usual circles.

See? It works.

Enjay said:

Publicity. Stunts like this grab enough attention to mean that people will talk about him outside the usual circles.

See? It works.

I have no history of liking boxing. I never watch it, never pay attention to it. Never even seen a Rocky movie. Boxing has no interest to me. But my friend is a big boxing fan. And he kept talking about how awesome pacquaio is. He'd show me videos and go into all the reasons why he is a special boxer. I started to take a little interest, but not really. It was only when he talked about 40 fights undefeated mayweather and how it would be an historical fight that I became interested. now I am really interested in this fight happening. But I don't care about boxing outside this fight. If it doesn't happen, I won't pay attention to what's going on in boxing. But I might drop money to see this fight--and I might bet on it. I find it really interesting.

Enjay said:

Publicity.

i don't follow the lighter weights much, but are you sure it's just a clever design to build up hype and revenues? there's absolutely no doubt haye is deathly scared of facing anything named klitchko, even their mother, and will rather break his own arm to avoid a fight. why not this guy?

dew said:

i don't follow the lighter weights much, but are you sure it's just a clever design to build up hype and revenues? there's absolutely no doubt haye is deathly scared of facing anything named klitchko, even their mother, and will rather break his own arm to avoid a fight. why not this guy?

I wish I had made a poll :( It would be interesting to see the results of a poll:

Why is Mayweather stalling the fight?

1. He is building publicity
2. He is scared

Do you think there should be a third option? "other" or something else?

Hellbent said:

I have no history of liking boxing. I never watch it, never pay attention to it. Never even seen a Rocky movie. Boxing has no interest to me. But my friend is a big boxing fan. And he kept talking about how awesome pacquaio is. He'd show me videos and go into all the reasons why he is a special boxer. I started to take a little interest, but not really. It was only when he talked about 40 fights undefeated mayweather and how it would be an historical fight that I became interested. now I am really interested in this fight happening. But I don't care about boxing outside this fight. If it doesn't happen, I won't pay attention to what's going on in boxing. But I might drop money to see this fight--and I might bet on it. I find it really interesting.

Enjay said:

See? It works.

I don't even like boxing all that much, but Manny is such a fucking beast. Mayweather saw what he did to one legend (De La Hoya) and is probably well aware that he'll face the same fate. If this is a publicity stunt, it's been going for a loooong time and anyone who isn't interested now won't ever be.

Floyd is apparently too busy buying $50,000 obsolete iPods to consider this fight.

It's just indicative of the sad state of boxing - after years of corruption and arrogant management, they can't pull off one of the only genuine super fights left in the sport. Meanwhile, MMA is growing like crazy and eating them alive.