Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Question regarding Steam versions

I'm tempted to buy the id Super Pack off of Steam now that the price has been lowered, but I have a question regarding the DOS games included in the package. I am aware they come with a version of DOSbox, but how exactly is it set up? Does each game have its own DOSbox with its own settings, or do they all use one generalized location or what? Considering I already have DOSbox installed on here, I'd rather not have to use more than one installation, but if I did, I could at least easily move my old DOSbox settings over to the Steam versions.

Anyone out there with Steam versions, perhaps?

They all have their own DosBox (the Keen pack has five DosBoxes, one for each game!), however you can just copy the game files somewhere else, set them up for your own DosBox and then uninstall from Steam.

edit: Each game in the Keen pack also has a tar.gz of DosBox, too!

I've got the Id Super Pack too, and yeah, you can just copy the exes and iwads in some subdirectory of your DOS Box game folder, then uninstall them to free some space on your hard drive. (Not that much space, though, let's be honest; floppy-era games don't weight too much on HD with hundred of gigabytes.)

The Steam versions (at least for Heretic and Hexen) launch with batch files. You can edit the batch to point to your normal DOSBox install, delete the duplicates that come with Steam, but still launch the games through Steam without needing to add your own shortcuts. You can even make them point to whatever port you like to use. My hexen.bat, for example:

@echo off
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\DOSBox\dosbox.exe" .\base\hexen.exe -userconf -conf "hexencd.conf" -exit
exit

Phml said:

You get the IWADS, which you can use with everything.

Also, ZDoom (and others?) will actively search for a Steam installation of Doom, so if you have one, you don't need to copy the IWADs at all.

WildWeasel said:

Also, ZDoom (and others?) will actively search for a Steam installation of Doom, so if you have one, you don't need to copy the IWADs at all.

Chocolate Doom does that too.