Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

Quake Night: Your quick stop for classic Quake multiplayer!

#quakenight on irc.oftc.net
http://www.quakenight.interdoom.com/Index.html

Play Time: Saturdays at 7:30PM GMT-5

Quake Night is an event held every Saturday night where players come together to play the original Quake games using modern day ports that enhance the quality of network games. Quake Night plays all the original Quake Games made before 2000, although Quake 1 and 2 are played the most frequent.

Since October 30th 2009, Quake Night has been giving players an experience to play the original quake games with many players. Our highest players ever reached in one server was eight. The server runs using a dedicated launcher made for the port we are using on a system with these specifications(Processor, and memory):

AMD Phenom 2.4GHz Quad Core 9750 Processor
4GB DDR2 Memory

I have been looking into a stand alone server to host these on(Home server, not Virtual Server), but I can't find a good low cost one. If you have any idea where to get them(online) cheap please email me at: whooATinterdoomDOTcom .

Happy quaking!

Yep, it's definitely cool stuff! :D I've actually sat out over the last few weeks because of the holidays, but I'll probably come back again to play more games. Some of the best fun I've had in recent memory has been on Quake Night.

I'm always on. Hope to see more people going up.

Just a head up also play pretty much any other FPS as wall on any other day of the week. But Saturday is all Quake Night.

I'd really like to jump on this one weekend, I've always wanted to try Quake COOP. Just gotta find a weekend where I'm not busy doing other stuff :P

Come on anytime. The 'official' time may be Saturday night, but we'd love to play almost anytime. We haven't been able to lately because we've had a shortage of people able to host games.

Burmp.

I have just finished putting together some parts of a computer that will be used as a server. The server(s) it hosts will (hopefully)be available 24/7. I still need to acquire an old hard-drive and a CD-Drive, but so far it all looks promising. The specs are lower, but since I'll be running Linux it won't hog as much resources.

System Specs(So Far):

768MB SD-RAM
2.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 CPU
Modified Dell Intel i845g Motherboard
200W Power Supply
100mb/s Ethernet Linksys Card

With any luck I should be running the first server in a month. I'll start with Quake 1, and I will later try Quake 2 and see how it runs. The IRC server will be at the same location, but the site location is yet to be announced.

And to prove this is actually happening, here's a picture of the "server"!

I'm glad you brought this back up. I was thinking of starting a post to get some Quake or Doom games going, even for a short period of time. I've found myself with too much free time this last couple month.

Now that you mention it, this is a good idea.

But umm... shouldn't that CPU have a heat sink on it?

Bucket said:

Now that you mention it, this is a good idea.

But umm... shouldn't that CPU have a heat sink on it?

Don't have it on yet. I only turned it on for about three seconds to see if the connections were working. I'll be getting in on within the next few days.

Heh, great timing. I recently bought Quake (took me damn well long enough) and have been having a blast with it, and I'd welcome any excuse to get good ol' Quake 2 installed again (once I can order the two missing discs off eBay -- it ain't the same without the music). I'll probably suck hard (not like that) at DM, though, but it's worth a shot just for the hell of it.

I'd be interested in playing, do we have to use the port or would a vanilla game be able join this server? I'd like to play using my pIII.

Last time I was playing, we used R1Q2 for Quake 2 games and DarkPlaces for Quake 1. I'm not certain but I believe they make changes to the netcode that vanilla wouldn't be compatible with.

I ran into my first problem today: the holes used to mount the CPU bracket are only on Dell computers. After a search on the internet, many Dell enthusiasts whined about how "you can't switch motherboards". I grabbed a drill, and made holes in the case where the cpu bracket goes. Worked fine, so the heat sink is now on!

Clonehunter said:

Does anyone play with the Demo ? :P

Sorry, we only play the registered versions.

GhostlyDeath said:

Seems interdoom's site is dead.

Died awhile ago actually. I'll be getting another one up eventually.

Use3D said:

I'd be interested in playing, do we have to use the port or would a vanilla game be able join this server? I'd like to play using my pIII.

As Bucket said, we use ports. For Quake 2 we use R1Q2, and I'm thinking about switching the Quake 1 port to Qrack.

If you're serious about this and want a stable webhost to keep people posted about this, send me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

AveryMaurice said:

What exact port(s) is/are being used for this as well? DarkPlaces?

I said:

As Bucket said, we use ports. For Quake 2 we use R1Q2, and I'm thinking about switching the Quake 1 port to Qrack.

We originally used DP, but it was rather slow for multiplayer.

I've connected using vanilla Quake 2 before when you guys were running R1Q2. At least I think I have (maybe it was the other way around, though I don't like R1Q2 so probably not). Worth a try anyway.

I have both Quake and Quake 2 so whenever anybodys playing give me a shout since I've never played ether games online.

Technician said:

Will Quake Live be an option?

I don't think so:

Whoo said:

Quake Night plays all the original Quake Games made before 2000

Update:

A friend of my dad's said he'll ask a person he knows if he can spare a hard-drive. This was about two weeks ago, so I need to get back to him.

The website is done(And has been for awhile). Here's a preview:

(And yes, I am hopefully going to be able to have this hosted on AgentSpork's web zone, spork-chan.net)

I'm still hoping to get this done by the end of August, and so far it looks possible. If I can't get a CD-ROM drive I'll just temporarily use the one from my old machine.