Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Titan Gaming acquires Xfire

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/02/exclusive-titan-gaming-takes-xfire-off-viacoms-hands/

"Titan Gaming has purchased Xfire. The terms of the purchase are undisclosed. Titan will be taking on the Xfire name. The Xfire services will continue uninterrupted for its users. Xfire redefined how gamers communicate, Titan intends to build upon this tradition and utilize the Xfire platform to help gaming companies better engage and monetize their games."

As long as they don't fuck things up with the core mechanics of the software, I'll be fine with it..."better engage and monetize their games"? Wait what?

"better engage and monetize their games"? Wait what?

Probably means a way to sell DLC through the software.

I'm not sure who Titan is, but I at least feel pretty good that it's not MTV anymore.

Nomad said:

I'm not sure who Titan is, but I at least feel pretty good that it's not MTV anymore.

Didn't they port a few old FPS to the GBA? I think that's where the name rings a bell.

According to their website -

A quote from a linked news item -

Clearstone Venture Partners MD William Quigley commented: “All investors have taken note of the explosion of virtual item sales in the casual game market. Titan’s platform will enable all gaming sites to go beyond virtual currency sales and generate new revenue and profit streams with completely legal, skill-based tournaments and competitions for points and cash.”

So it looks like they're developing new ways of extracting money from the userbase.

That doesn't sound so bad. It sounds like they're trying to emulate Korea. Maybe it will work. I haven't played anything mainstream online in years, so it won't bother me either way. Much better than some EA stunt where they try and dictate how many times I can reinstall Windows.

Shaikoten said:

People still use xfire? I thought that Steam pretty much killed that.

This. It sounds like they want to turn Xfire into an advertising platform.