Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

The other games you've made thread

Now if your a video game fanatic like me, you don't just mod doom to make fps games (or just games in general). For example, I make other games using the nifty but frowned upon game maker program. Which brings me to my question, do the people of doomworld make games with other software to? When I say "other software" I mean something not Doom based, such as game maker or even a mod for blood or duke nukem. If you do happen to make games with "other software" I'd like to know what they are so post them here.

I have recently made a game with "other software" called Pounland Catland Wars 4. (funny name is it not?)

The trailer by Patacorow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6cQHry4po&feature=player_embedded

And a download if you wish to try it.
http://www.totcomicsdoom.com/app/download/3536485554/pl_cl_wars_4V1.0.zip?t=1278892055

Is there something about that game I'm missing? What I saw was a lot of woefully inconsistent design and thumbnails that are way, way too small for use as preview screenshots. You did put time into building those games, but its time to concentrate on design, consistency and polish.

I fiddled with that GameMaker thing. It's neat, but I didn't feel like trying to design anything real with it. That was before it could do anything 3D.

I used to map a lot for Duke3D and somehow lost every single map I built in successive HDD crashes. There aren't too many games I like where I haven't at least poked at the editor out of curiosity, but the only stuff that made it to the net was for DOOM.

The only games I have written myself were little puzzle games for programming courses in high school. If they don't let you play games in computer class just write one and then playtesting it becomes the only option.

I think Unity is the best tool for low-budget and simplistic 3D game development right now though you need to know some C# or Javascript to use it: http://unity3d.com/

As to things I made, mostly just maps for misc games like Half-Life and a few applications and smaller games that I made in my spare time. If I can think of anything worthwhile mentioning, I'll post it here.

I used another utility I received as a Christmas present, called DIV Games Studio. I don't know if it was better or worse than gamemaker, but I know it was DOS-based.

I merely looked at the tutorial, where it teaches you to make a shoot'em'up where you're a rocket in space, shooting falling objects, while sliding left and right. I merely extended that idea to an unlimited scrolling 2D space, and populated it with enemy ships that chase me and I have to destroy. The game instantly became fun.

Too bad it's lost in a nonfunctional PC.

I later attempted to recreate it under Visual Studio 5.0 using DirectDraw, but I failed. It was for a school contest, but I wasn't able to finish on time, facing technical difficulties.

fatal error said:

I have recently made a game with "other software" called Pounland Catland Wars 4. (funny name is it not?)

No, it's not.

Aliotroph? said:

Is there something about that game I'm missing? What I saw was a lot of woefully inconsistent design and thumbnails that are way, way too small for use as preview screenshots. You did put time into building those games, but its time to concentrate on design, consistency and polish.

I'd like to point out that Gamemaker wasn't designed for 3D use and genertally its capabilities in that area is limited. Game makers designed purpose was to make 2d games, and the company doesn't support the limited 3D functionality at all.

On the otherhand PL CL WARS 4 was released on yoyogames.com, and since the users there understand these limitations my game currently has a 4.2 rating and largly positive reviews :D

Anywho, this thread isn't about my game its about other doomers games.

He means that some of your sprites look like they were drawn in paint and the others look like higher quality textures, this giving it the "what the fuck is going on" appeal.

printz said:

I used another utility I received as a Christmas present, called DIV Games Studio. I don't know if it was better or worse than gamemaker, but I know it was DOS-based.

I merely looked at the tutorial, where it teaches you to make a shoot'em'up where you're a rocket in space, shooting falling objects, while sliding left and right. I merely extended that idea to an unlimited scrolling 2D space, and populated it with enemy ships that chase me and I have to destroy. The game instantly became fun.

Too bad it's lost in a nonfunctional PC.

I later attempted to recreate it under Visual Studio 5.0 using DirectDraw, but I failed. It was for a school contest, but I wasn't able to finish on time, facing technical difficulties.

Rip the hard drive out and plug it into your current pc. I did that with my stupid emachine that fried after 3 years. (apparently theres a design flaw that causes it to fry after a few years.)

Hm, the yoyogames game maker... I tried to use it once, but all I suceeded in doing was just pasting over graphics in the Airplane shooter demo. Nothin of my own really.

I've tried to create other games though with the FPSCreator. Sure the scripting is done for you in most cases, but I prefer it easy for now.

AveryMaurice said:

He means that some of your sprites look like they were drawn in paint and the others look like higher quality textures, this giving it the "what the fuck is going on" appeal.

Ah, I see. To bad I fail at sprites D:

Clonehunter said:

Hm, the yoyogames game maker... I tried to use it once, but all I suceeded in doing was just pasting over graphics in the Airplane shooter demo. Nothin of my own really.

Well as long as Game Maker is the topic of discussion, heres what a pro can make.

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/76260-lighted-fps-engine-v5

It's nothing more than a test engine but it does have a physics engine and other things. Don't worry about viruse in the .exe either yoyogames sscans everything when you submit it.

Ha, I'm trying to think if I ever made other games and all that comes to mind is "Quest" and its sequel "Mission," extraordinarily crude adventure games I made with a Powerpoint-for-kids sort of program called Hyperstudio. This was about ten years ago. Try 'em, you'll love 'em.

You'll have to dump all the files in the zip into the same folder, install the included Hyperstudio player (the setup program is HS45winplayer.msi), run it, and open "Quest.stk" to get started. If you're running a Mac, you can download the appropriate Hyperstudio 4.5 player here.

two years ago I made "Mankind," a TC for a cartoony freeware top-down military shooter game called "Meteor." It's a tile based game and I chopped up and resized a ton of quake and Doom textures to make the tiles, with a few of them being made by myself. I did all the sprites and weapons and stuff though.

I partnered up with someone in that Meteor community to help me do the mapping. It's supposed to be the first of 3 episodes but I'm not sure if I'm going to get back into meteor again. The game simply isn't that addictive and has a handful of bugs and limitations, as opposed to something like doom which is now infinitely more versatile.

I know a few programming languages, C, C++, Java, Python. I've messed around with making games but I've never actually finished one. Modding existing game engines is much more fun and rewarding to do in your free time, actually programming them is also fun but its much more time consuming and its more like something that I'd want to do for a job.

Back when I use to be a big RPG addict, I try making my own RPG games using a game creation program call the OHRRPGCE. Sadly the games were crap(intentional cause all 3 were made for a contest call the "Terrible game contest"). Still, it was a fun experience before I got bored of it.

It's been my dream to make a "game" in Pie in the Sky's 3D GCS. I ordered it as a kid and was able to make a few demo levels, but I never managed to make a complete game with it. I could easily make something far better and quicker using Doom, but there's an odd appeal to me with wrangling something functional out of an engine that is woefully unequipped to do so. I haven't managed to find a complete copy of the last version, however, and it's more a pipe dream than anything serious.

Most of my own attempts failed either because of a lack of interest in coding them (after a while) or lack of graphics. Images incoming.

Mario Clone nr 42667. I got as far as Mario running around, picking up things in a 2-layered tilemap and parallax scrolling backgrounds, plus a level editor to go with it. Editor shot: http://www.dvdflick.net/storage/platform01.jpg

Top down space shooter kind of thing. Ship and enemy graphics were made by DooMGoaT who did an awesome job at them. I then promptly lost the code in some harddrive crash. I tried again with the above as the result, but my interest in coding it had been damaged too much by the loss of the superior first version.

An attempted remake of The Chaos Engine (Soldiers of Fortune in the US on the PC and SNES). It never got beyond walking around in partially-reverse engineered levels. But it did lead to a fully featured level editor for the original game itself a few months ago. Good times. MOre on the editor here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53449 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9WIbEORaxg

A way too ambitious idea that could not be executed without tons of custom artwork. Image a 2D top down Elite-like game where you could explore an entire galaxy of solar systems complete with planets and planet's surfaces (simple tile-based RTS on planet's and moon's surfaces, procedurally generated) and ships travelling along routes (friendly and enemy). Never got past the point where it generated a galaxy with solar systems that rotated around, light shaded and all. This in itself needed a ton of optimization to get it to run right for large 1000+ solar body galaxies.

I'm writing/designing/commissioning artwork for a game I hope to release in a few years.

No, I'm not going to post the art here. Why? Because the DooM community frowns on Anime, especially rough concept art. Shame :(

Not games, but I'm the author of a GameBoy emulator(the first in C#) and a steganography(image-based encryption) program, both can be found via my CodePlex page. I stopped working on the emulator because my primary userbase of Zune users had the intelligence of a bag of door knobs.

I was also working on a true C++ port of the Doom code which I hoped to turn into a C# port. I had solved several issues with "C-isms" and gave the code to Maes for his Java port, but I don't think he's using it.

I've always wanted to make a proper game, something other then the small puzzle/arcade ones I made for school. Problem is I can't draw to save my life, and finding artists that will work for free is nigh impossible.

Shaikoten said:

I made a Cowboy Bebop MUD. It is good. The end.

LINKS. PLEASE. Is it graphical at all, or just text? Doesn't matter, just curious. Love CB, and love MUDs.

Also, sort of speaking of MUDs, I've sort of been working on this Legend of the Green Dragon mod, called Abaddon. It's more of a translation of the original game text at this point, though some time in the (likely distant) future, I plan on writing my own combat system and making it more like the old BBS MUD "Usurper."

40oz said:

two years ago I made "Mankind," a TC for a cartoony freeware top-down military shooter game called "Meteor." It's a tile based game and I chopped up and resized a ton of quake and Doom textures to make the tiles, with a few of them being made by myself. I did all the sprites and weapons and stuff though.

I partnered up with someone in that Meteor community to help me do the mapping. It's supposed to be the first of 3 episodes but I'm not sure if I'm going to get back into meteor again. The game simply isn't that addictive and has a handful of bugs and limitations, as opposed to something like doom which is now infinitely more versatile.

Haha. Funny you mention Meteor since I'm actually working on my own mod for it at the moment.

That looks really cool btw. It looks like a completely different game. It's unfortunate how limited and buggy Meteor is. Meteor 2 is a little better though. It's still in beta IIRC.

@Exl: Good looking stuff, there. Shame to hear about the space shooter -- looks pretty rad, from the screens (I'm a sucker for shoot 'em ups that aren't bullet hell types).

On topic: I made part of a a Cave Story mod once. I'm also supposed to finish it but I keep distracting myself with other things.

Here are some old screenshots that are formatted weirdly because that's how I did them in the old project thread for some reason:

View:
[01][02][03]
[04][05][06]
[07][08][09]
[10][11][12]

The Gaudis and other obvious Cave Story creatures have since been replaced with edits n' new things, and there's new music and story and things and stuff too. Still not really a 'game' of its own, being based on an existing one and all, but it's standalone and doesn't have anything to do (plotwise) with Cave Story itself.

Anyhow, a download link for the interested: Schism: Shattered Timescapes [Demo v1.0]

With luck, maybe someone here might find it mildly interesting. :P

exl said:

An attempted remake of The Chaos Engine (Soldiers of Fortune in the US on the PC and SNES). It never got beyond walking around in partially-reverse engineered levels. But it did lead to a fully featured level editor for the original game itself a few months ago. Good times. MOre on the editor here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53449 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9WIbEORaxg

Holy shit. That and Alien Breed are my fav top-down shooters.

Living up to your Mercfish avatar :).

Nomad said:

LINKS. PLEASE. Is it graphical at all, or just text? Doesn't matter, just curious. Love CB, and love MUDs.

Also, sort of speaking of MUDs, I've sort of been working on this Legend of the Green Dragon mod, called Abaddon. It's more of a translation of the original game text at this point, though some time in the (likely distant) future, I plan on writing my own combat system and making it more like the old BBS MUD "Usurper."

cb-sc.com 4567

It's smaug/swr derivative with a lot of tweaks and custom junk.