Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

Your favorite 90s wad

I dunno what it is, but great thread! I was just about to head to the /idgames archives to find a good classic wad to play. There was this one wad I played ages ago that I think was made in the late 90s. It was doom 1--it had great atmosphere and a really cool layout/design. I think it was hell themed or e3 themed--but I have no idea what it was called. Another good one was by Lutz... Inferno? Not sure--very atmospheric... hellish rocks and cool caverns and the like.

I look forward to seeing peoples' responses.

STRAIN. Or maybe Strife, if it counts. It's a wad. :P

Also, while it's not my favorite exactly, I still have a soft spot for HACX, despite its many rough bits and all. Someone should seriously do something about that some day... ;P

Apart from the official wads I would have to say 99 Ways to Die. I just really loved the atmosphere, architecture and lighting. And it let you wanting more... :)

Also, yeah, Hacx. Rough but, to my mind, charming. I vaguely remember someone working on an update/refinement of that one once. Can't remember who it was exactly (*cough, Xaser, cough). If I remember maybe I should PM him and harass him a little... ;P

Xaser said:

STRAIN. Or maybe Strife, if it counts. It's a wad. :P

Also, while it's not my favorite exactly, I still have a soft spot for HACX, despite its many rough bits and all. Someone should seriously do something about that some day... ;P

Yeah although a bit rough HACX is a great wad. I'm looking foward to the zdoom compatible version if it ever gets done. (I think thats what the update was going to be.)

GreyGhost said:

Doom.wad - without a doubt.

This! And The Darkening. I like the fun level sets, that aren't full of cheap traps and complexity for its own sake.

40oz said:

CRUSADES.wad

It's REALLY good.

I had a great time with this one. If at times I felt the gameplay slowed down while I figured out what each switch did, the atmosphere of the levels kept me wanting more and more until I finished the episode.

Xaser said:

I also liked Hacx but mostly just the first few levels, after that it got really rough around the edges. I began a major re-haul of the game a long time ago when it became freeware but i realized that i would have had to completely re-do all the levels and everything. Just too much work.

There are so many great wads from the 1990's.

UACPEN.WAD
REQUIEM
Darkening
Return to Phobos
Eternity
Infinity
Slaughter Until Death
Evil Unleashed
Memento Mori
Memento Mori 2
DINNER.WAD
Anything made by Dr. Sleep

And many more.

If there was a wad made from the 90s that would considered my all time favorite it would be Fava Beans since its one of the most played wads I've played since I started playing Doom about 10 years ago. However there are other wads that I also love such as Death Tormention 1 & 2, Cyberdreams, Hell Revealed, CygnusIV and many others as my second favorites.

Uh, standard top-ten list (in descending order of preference) minus a few 2000s wads:

Hell Revealed
STRAIN
Icarus
MM2
Requiem
MM
Plutonia
H2H-Xmas
Eternal
Evilution

Fava Beans, Slaughter Until Death and The Artifact (original Doom 1 release.)

Most of the 'usual suspects' don't really appeal to me that much as they are just random collections of maps with no coherency.