Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your non-Doom game picture/video! [read the image-posting rules in the FAQ]

Shadow Dweller said:

The Minecraft topic reminded me of some of the things I would make on some of the servers. And this topic reminded me of this one in particular.

There was a Rocket Launcher as well, but it disappeared along with the rest of them. >_>

Did you actually place each individual brick, or do you have a hacked client that automates this based on a pic? I refuse to believe people have THAT much time on their hands!?

A while ago I got started on making a Doom map with a giant mosaic of the STARTAN1 texture using a 64x128 grid of 32x32 sectors and using brightness levels to color each individual square appropriately. This proved to be like 100x more tedious that I was expecting it to be though. Maybe I'll finish it some day.

Planky said:

Did you actually place each individual brick, or do you have a hacked client that automates this based on a pic? I refuse to believe people have THAT much time on their hands!?

I did place each individual brick, BUT I also had some tools I was using as well. I was using a client that enables a player flight and faster speed for convenience. I was able to work on each weapon without having to worry about falling and building random scaffolds that would take more time. Not to mention I could always fly out to check the progress of the sprite from a distance. I also had XWE open next to the client window for reference.

Each weapon took between one to two hours on different days.

Radon said:

[DON'T QUOTE IMAGES FUCKTARD]

HOLY FUCK DO I MISS THAT GAME

FUCK YOU STEAM. WHY DON'T YOU HAVE IT YET?

;_;

Joined a server on Battle.net and found this suspicious-looking fellow:

Also, this is what happens when you "upgrade" Wirt's Leg:

Right, I didn't do any work on my Doom map, but instead clicked around a bit in a Quake editor...

<duh

Oh wow, that is some of the nicest Quake architecture I've ever seen. Then again, I never bothered with custom maps for that game much.

Yeah that is very nice. Is quake's map editor easy to use? How flexible is it? I haven't seen many quake maps and I haven't actually played any other than the stock ones, but I've never actually seen a bad quake maps.

Thanks.

40oz: The editors are less straightforward than Doom ones, but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy. The rules and methods are different, of course. You don't draw a map, but rather build it from moldable volumes, as if you were working with real bricks or wall elements. I'd say one of the main difficulties is starting to 'think in 3D', that is, trying to get away from exclusively horizontal ('top-down') layouts and architecture.
The editors are flexible insofar as you can map for a fairly large number of games once you've mastered the basic techniques. Or what did you mean exactly?

Also, as with Doom, there are heaps of excellent custom maps, many of which make you go "wtf, THIS is Quake?"...

Haha i remember playing this game at my cousins house. My fondest memory was talking to the prisoners and they'd be like "here i found this key or ammo or whatever" and blackthorne would say "Thank you, friend" then I'd shoot em.

Asmodeus was too difficult. Think I might've beat the game once. Mace had pretty good music from what I recollect.

Danarchy said:

What is this, some sort of 3rd person Total War game?

No, that's Mount & Blade, a sweet combination of a third-person action RPG and a strategy game.

AgentSpork said:

Paris nightlife sure is exciting, oui?

Well, it does look more exciting than Berlin.
;)

More Minecraft!

Some hours of work between DooMAD and me.

exl said:
More Minecraft!

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I find this screenshot oddly compelling and inspiring...

exl said:

More Minecraft!

http://www.dvdflick.net/storage/minecraft_01.jpg
Some hours of work between DooMAD and me.

Muses out loud that exl and DooMAD have enough Doom skills between them to turn this piece of Minecraft awesomeness into 'playable Doom map' awesomeness.