Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the_bookman

I run doom in Dosbox, and screen resolution is of poor quality

the_bookman said:

or just get rid of the options menu altogether. Who needs all those faggy options?

People who want to turn down the speed at which the keyboard makes them turn.

People who don't like monsters backing away from them if they're carrying a chainsaw.

People who, for some reason, want their shotguns to push them backwards when fired.

People like you who want the game to be as close as bloody possible to the original Doom.

In short, a lot of people like having these options around, and it'd take just as much effort to remove them again as it probably took to add them in the first place, which would be a waste because that time could be vastly better spent by adding more helpful things like bug fixes.

You are not the community. We are.

the_bookman said:

-Put the dos doom music in, not the doom 95 music.

If only you knew on how thin, thin ice you're treading with that statement....

the_bookman said:

it's just the crappy resolution is not easy on the eyes.

Play it on a 14" SVGA monitor, you'll see how cool it looks. And...HAVE YOU TRIED SETTING DETAIL MODE TO HIGH?!

This man is a laugh riot.

If you want to have "doom music" instead of "doom 95 music", I think in your misinformed ways you mean something like OPL emulation? Too bad. The only two ports with OPL emulation that I know of are Chocolate Doom (which you won't like, low resolution) and ZDoom (which you won't like, it's not exactly like Doom).

You do not know what it was like to play Doom Shareware on a 486SX/33 with 4MB of RAM and a 512 KB Trident card on a 14" monitor. I thought it was the best thing ever in 1993. Summerfags always complaining, why not just play it however and enjoy it. I play Prboom+ in 1280x024 in OpenGL but I can still use -complevel 2 and experience all the cool Doom bugs like ghost monsters and walking through solid fences and other cool Doom features. Just download Zdoom and play Doom for fucks sake and stop complaining because a game from 1993 is not up to your high standards.

I have played Wolfenstein 3d in dosbox and it looks quite good, I remember what Doom and Body Count looked like in the 90s and I am used to that, as I play games for the love of it and I do not care about the graphics so much. DOS Doom rocked!

This stuff is right up in the same league with that other who only played 4-star rated WADs and above. Which is NOT a good thing, in case you wonder.

I'm waiting for the infamous "Your all losers who play a 20 yo game, I go now jakk off and play some Halo 2 kthxbye" quote.

the_bookman said:

or just get rid of the options menu altogether. Who needs all those faggy options? people should be thankful the improvement would even offer them an inconvenient option menu.

Words can not describe the ignorance in this post.

the_bookman said:

So either A) this website is telling a lie by showing an aspect ratio corrected image from doom95 claiming that it is a dos doom image or B) there is a way to play dos doom with high picture quality as seen in that image.

As someone who worked on that article I can assure you it is not "lying," however if one of the screenshots that was already being used on that page before I wrote it had an incorrect caption or something, I probably wouldn't know about it.

It is bullshitting in the sense that it's saying a hi-res image taken in a source port looks "like in vanilla". To really display what vanilla draws, a 1600x1200 resize of a vanilla screen shot (stretched vertically by 20%) could be used.

The_bookman you really need to understand why source ports add in these extra options. They are advanced and they will continue to become advanced (although a few of them have the compatibility of the original DOS doom).

Prboom-plus adds these extra options for the user and their preference. It is also a port that demo recording is best.

Eternity is the same way (preference/choice) and it actually doesn't have as much compatibility as Prboom-plus because it is still being worked on by Quasar...There is potential here with this port though.

You should really read into some of this information before posting on the Forums, because it really makes you seem ignorant (my apologies for being so blunt) even though you could be a really smart person

You can use higher resolutions in Chocolate Doom 1.3.0, I think. It's supposed to be as close as possible to dos/vanilla doom. Or, you could stop complaining about assy resolution and adapt to it :P

Chocolate just scales up, though. Using a higher resolution is nice for making the scanlines less noticeable on huge CRT monitors like mine, but really it's just like playing at 320x200 otherwise. I'd be eternally grateful if someone added true high resolution support to Chocolate Heretic and Hexen, though.

I still play DOS Doom from time to time. The resolution doesn't really bother me, although the difference from playing with a source port can be jarring at first. But I like the authentic flavor you can get only with the original. That said, I use a source port most of the time.

Gez said:

This man is a laugh riot.

If you want to have "doom music" instead of "doom 95 music", I think in your misinformed ways you mean something like OPL emulation? Too bad. The only two ports with OPL emulation that I know of are Chocolate Doom (which you won't like, low resolution) and ZDoom (which you won't like, it's not exactly like Doom).

How many people other than techy types even know what OPL emulation is? I remember when I first played Doom95 I immediately wondered what the fuck happened to the music. The proof is in the listening. The sound between the two is obviously obvious. People were very rude to me when I asked about this some time ago.

bimlanders said:

How many people other than techy types even know what OPL emulation is?

Surely a lengthy tech explanation (as there's no simpler alternative) is better than just receiving a dry "no" or "you can't" regarding to the music differences, no?

I don't remember the particular instance you asked, but IMHO the subject has been beaten to death and then some, fully explained, fully documented, options are well known and numbered etc. yet it pops out once in a while, and with it a stream of misinformation and confusion, eroding what has been built.

If it was for me, I'd make a big sticky thread in red capital letters saying "EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DOOM'S FM SOUND AND FM SYNTHESIS IN GENERAL, LOOK NO FURTHER, OUT THERE BE DRAGONS!" and throw everything (history of Adlib, OPL2, OPL3, compatibles, imitations, emulators, the story of FM Music in MS-DOS games, what makes Doom's so unique, what makes FM sound under windows so crappy, why MIDI != FM, why FM != midi, etc.), once and for all. Amen.

I say someone takes chocolate doom and adds a high resolution option to it. That would be perfect for people like me who want the authentic doom but who are "picky" about screen resolution. I know I cant be the only one. They could give it a different name too like "dark chocolate Doom" since "regular chocolate" doom's sole purpose is to preserve dos doom in every way, right down to it's flaws. How time consuming could such an upgrade be?

and the doom wiki needs to add a page about OPL emulation if they already haven't since the question about dos doom and doom95 music has been beaten to death.

But overall, for what is out there right now, Eternity appears to do the best job at being as true to dos doom as possible but with hi res. So this will satisfy me until someone decides to upgrade chocolate doom with a hi res mode option.

the_bookman said:

But overall, for what is out there right now, Eternity appears to do the best job at being as true to dos doom as possible but with hi res. So this will satisfy me until someone decides to upgrade chocolate doom with a hi res mode option.

Maybe you could look into coding a bit and figure out how to modify Chocolate-Doom? The source is available on the Chocolate-Doom page. Don't ask me how to modify it though because I haven't looked into coding at all. Only a few ACS and Flash scripts and I barely remember them.

this is kind of the opposite of what the OP is looking for, but I kinda like the low resolution pixelated goodness, which is why I have any reason for playing chocolate doom in the first place. Is it possible to get that in prBoom+?

myk said:

It is bullshitting in the sense that it's saying a hi-res image taken in a source port looks "like in vanilla". To really display what vanilla draws, a 1600x1200 resize of a vanilla screen shot (stretched vertically by 20%) could be used.

But the article is about the aspect ratio. Not the resolution. Having different resolutions would complicate the matter for people to understand the difference that is being demonstrated.

Maes said:

Plus, the guy said he wants a "DOS DOOM". I guess that further limits the options to the few remaining DOS-only source ports...did any of them have high resolution?

Doom Legacy for Dos has Vesa2 support.

40oz said:

this is kind of the opposite of what the OP is looking for, but I kinda like the low resolution pixelated goodness, which is why I have any reason for playing chocolate doom in the first place. Is it possible to get that in prBoom+?

Yes! Change the resolution to 320x200 and then find Screen Multiple factor and change the 1 to a 2. (This is assuming you will be playing in windowed mode(full screen is a bit blurry, but that my be my systems fault).

In full screen mode you need a real resolution of 1600x1200 to make scaling look right. Less than that will degrade the rendering. How much the rendering is degraded depends on how much lower than that the real resolution is.

the_bookman said:

I say someone takes chocolate doom and adds a high resolution option to it.

Go for it then.

Tell us how that goes for ya, and when we can play a beta build of it =]

kristus said:
Not the resolution. Having different resolutions would complicate the matter for people to understand the difference that is being demonstrated.

What do you mean by different resolution? It's already different. There are various problems, now that I looked at the article with more attention:

• The link is passing a hi res source port pic as if it looked like vanilla ("in what way?").
  • The caption is failing to properly note what difference it's referring to (it can't be the one about 640x480 because the Doom95 pic shown is at 320x200).
  • The caption and link are comparing a pic with the status bar with one that doesn't display it.

40oz said:

Yes. Use software mode, don't turn any filtering on, and set the resolution to 320x200. If necessary, try different settings for the aspect ratio depending on your monitor (e.g. 16:10).

myk said:

What do you mean by different resolution? It's already different. There are various problems, now that I looked at the article with more attention:

• The link is passing a hi res source port pic as if it looked like vanilla ("in what way?").

When you aim to show the specific difference in educating someone on it. You remove other variables that is irrelevant to make it easier for the target person to understand what the difference is. What the text is indicating is "like in vanilla" is the aspect ratio. The resolution of the game isn't even an issue in the article (except with how the distorted aspect ratio is a result of the different resolutions possible with Doom95). Obviously this has still managed to confuse some people, so a bit of clarification may be in order to point out that it's merely a demonstration of the difference in aspect ratio that is being demonstrated.

myk said:

The caption is failing to properly note what difference it's referring to (it can't be the one about 640x480 because the Doom95 pic shown is at 320x200).

Uhhhh, what makes you think that? Both images got the exact same pixel resolution.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/File:MAP01.png
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/File:Doom95-MAP01-Start.png

myk said:

The caption and link are comparing a pic with the status bar with one that doesn't display it.

This should certainly be adressed.

kristus said:
When you aim to show the specific difference in educating someone on it. You remove other variables that is irrelevant to make it easier for the target person to understand what the difference is. What the text is indicating is "like in vanilla" is the aspect ratio.

It might be irrelevant to us because we know about the topic, but I even had to investigate and double-check because I couldn't trust the article to be right when the evidence it provided was from an altered source (not vanilla). To the uninstructed reader, what guarantees that source port really displays things like vanilla?

The resolution of the game isn't even an issue in the article (except with how the distorted aspect ratio is a result of the different resolutions possible with Doom95).

The reason I mentioned resolution is to note how to display a vanilla pic in a browser environment without any distortion (you need 5 times the original to add an extra row of pixels for every 5, vertically). Since all that matters is the way aspect ratio is dealt with, even resizing and stretching a 320x200 vanilla pic to 800x600 is better than using a 640x400 source port pic, since it doesn't generate that "WTF?" from non-vanilla appearance when looked at. A Chocolate Doom pic using scaling would do the job (it essentially does the same thing Photoshop would do to ready a pic for the webpage.)

Uhhhh, what makes you think that? Both images got the exact same pixel resolution.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/File:MAP01.png
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/File:Doom95-MAP01-Start.png

Oops, my mistake there because I didn't look at the pic linked to, just at the small one on the page, where I couldn't spot differences with Doom95 at 320x200 :p

I'd have to say that this thread is very interesting.

Don't say aspect ratio in Doom because huge arguments spawn from it because everybody sucks.

Doom Legacy for DOS supports up to 1024x768, you got DOS. It even plays music with an existing OPL via Allegro.

Then there's Strawberry Doom, which I may add high resolution to some day.

Sorry to bring this old topic back to life and I'm not trolling, but what the book_man says is correct. Doom in Dos box does not look  even close to its original quality, most of the games that run in dosbox dont look like they were on the original hardware (x86, pentium and a CRT monitor). Especially doom. You just have to watch this video to figure it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvWUUMz0QE
I played a lot doom back in 1995 and many other games and the quality of the dosbox emulation does not match the quality back at that time. Of course, the games were running in VGA 13h[320x200 256 colors], VGA was very limited but they(graphics) were displayed on CRT monitors. These graphic problems exist on all emulations (Nes, SNES, Genesis, dos games) because emulators upscale the resolution. Without filters it looks pixelated and with filters it looks blurry. Run it on the original hardware and it looks great like magic.  That's how I see things. That said -> modern windows/linux doom ports work so great that there is no need to go back on vintage hardware to play doom. .. iknow this topic is old but i wanted to add my 2 cent. (Sorry if my english is a bit buggy I'm not native).