Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Marathon weapons mod (need HUD help !)

So, the other day i thought about reliving my old FPS memories and a game that came in mind (excluding Doom, of course) was Marathon 2. I remember playing the demo back in the day and was blow-away by the sheer coolness of the weapons and... well, everything... else. The game was ahead of its time when it came to the whole weapon system. Anyhow, in the process of getting my hands on the Marathon games i came across a utility for exporting/importing sprites and graphics (refered to as SHAPES) for all Marathon engine games. And it was for WINDOWS! Hurray! So i began this weapons mod for EDGE. It will feature all of Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity weapons with all their coolness intact plus a couple of custom ones and some improvements.

FEATURES (to simulate Marathon games):

* All Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity weapons (9 total)
* Player doesn't move as fast
* Weapons don't sway when walking
* Weapons kick the player backwards when firing
* Dual weapons!
* Weapons ejecting spent casing
* Weapon reloading
* Allies that fight with you (?)
* Seperate textures WAD for mappers to make custom levels (Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity textures and skies)

NEW FEATURES (not in the original Marathon games):

* More secondary attacks for weapons
* More dual-wielded weapons
* New custom weapons (one or two)
* Scope-view for Pistol (Zoom)
* SMG is silent to enemies (silenced weapon)
* New items (?)
* New sounds, mainly ones for weapons that did not have reload sounds
* Boxes of ammo gives more than one single "clip" for the corresponding weapon, however the weapon itself still give a single "clip" (or two, depending on skill level)

And probably a ton more by the time this is finished.

Dual weapons function they way they are supposed to do. When you pick up a weapon you already have, you get the dual version otherwise you just get the single weapon. Most mods just add a seperate pickup for the dual version turning it into a completly diffrent weapon all together.

So, here are some (very crappy) YouTube clips by moi, demonstrationg the weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT1kpQCet1s
The fists. Ahem, nothing really to brag about. But that knuckle duster sure does look cool doesn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a_5dr-GN2Q
The shotgun! My, by far, favourite weapon in Marathon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-bn6D0aSYA
The Assault Rilfe/Grenade Launcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxmnXAz0_sU
The Missile Launcher!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKmlEK6pIrw
New demo for the shotgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqppVax-30
Dual Missile Launchers ! Perhaps it's a bit of an overkill but i find it somewhat satisfying and bad-ass to run around with dual shoulder-mounted missile launchers blowing the living f-ck out of everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSLsrIzjtJE
Gatling Gun. This is one of the new custom weapons that will be featured.

Stay tuned for more videos!

BTW
For those who don't even know what the hell Marathon is, here is a YouTube trailer (not by me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV76dKp9YuE&feature=related

It also provides a link where you can get the games free and legal for a variety of platforms! They are officially freeware now. God bless Bungie.

FEATURES (to simulate Marathon games):

* All Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity weapons (9 total)
* Player doesn't move as fast
* Weapons don't sway when walking
* Weapons kick the player backwards when firing
* Dual weapons!
* Weapons ejecting spent casing
* Weapon reloading
* Allies that fight with you (?)
* Seperate textures WAD for mappers

NEW FEATURES (not in the original Marathon games):

* More secondary attacks for weapons
* More dual-wielded weapons
* New custom weapons (one or two)
* Scope-view for Pistol (Zoom)
* SMG is silent to enemies (silenced weapon)
* New items (?)
* New sounds, mainly ones for weapons that did not have reload sounds

And probably a ton more by the time this is finished.

Dual weapons function they way they are supposed to do. When you pick up a weapon you already have, you get the dual version otherwise you just get the single weapon. Most mods just add a seperate pickup for the dual version turning it into a completly diffrent weapon all together.

Manhunt21 said:

So, basically, you're making a TC?

A weapons mod. I don't have the skill/know-how/time to do a complete TC by myself.

CeeJay said:

For those who don't even know what the hell Marathon is, here is a YouTube trailer (not by me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV76dKp9YuE&feature=related

It also provides a link where you can get the games free and legal for a variety of platforms! They are officially freeware now. God bless Bungie.

Thanks loads for this. I'm one of those people who had never heard of Marathon. Took me a minute to get all the resources from all the different sources and to figure out how to get it to run, but it looks like a really cool game and I'm sure I'll give it a try!

How did you rip the resources from Marathon? A few modders, including myself, have wanted to access to the graphics from Marathon for a while now.

Snarboo said:

How did you rip the resources from Marathon? A few modders, including myself, have wanted to access to the graphics from Marathon for a while now.

Yeah, i'm one of them :-)

I really don't want to give it away that easy (see below), but there are one or two utilities that do run on Windows... finally! Check the link on the trailer clip i posted earlier and head on over to that page. If you just browse around the page, you will find it.

Reason:

1. By posting the name of the utility and where to find it there is a risk of Marathon resources popping up all over the place in the Doom community, some good and some bad. I've spent a lot of years trying to figure out how to rip the resources from the Marathon games, even running a Macintosh emulator (which is a major pain in the ass to get working and doesn't even do so properly in the end) to get the Mac tools running (yeah, there are a number of utilities for Marathon but only for the Mac). I can say that the utilities support all games using the Marathon (2) engine (Damage Incorporated, Prime Target, ZPC).

Oblivously i have no copyright on anything related to the Marathon franchise and i can not really stop anybody else from ripping the resources but i would, at least in this point of time, keep it to a minimum as it may take a long time for me to finish this mod.

If you think i am an a-hole or whatever because of these reasons then so be it.

It wasn't as popular as the other Marathon games but Damaged Inc. was the shite as far as I was concerned way back when. The game taught me to love using npcs- had a great system for doing so too. It's good to hear that all the Marathon games are free to play. I'll definitely be looking up that title for a trip through memory lane.

Yeah, Damage Incorporated used a slightly altered engine to let you coordinate and communicate with your fellow teammates and it was done very well allthough their AI was extremly limited and buggy at times. The one problem that always bugged me about all Marathon games is the big-ass status bar which takes up almost half the screen. Very annoying, this has fortunaly been fixed with recent patches. Atleast for the Marathon trilogy.

So, while i'm sitting here coding the dual missile launchers !!! (and writting this) i'm trying to figure out what secondary attacks to give the SMG, Flamethrower and Missile Launcher.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Ceejay

Does anybody have any ideas?

For that flamethrower:

Alt fire causes an unlit stream of fuel to spray out, forming a puddle on the ground that player can set on fire as those baddies use their awesome path finding to show up for the party. It would be a little something to warm Corey Whittle's heart.

Also, see if the freedoom peeps would be kind enough to lend your project some maps. That way many end users will get to traverse areas they aren't overly familiar with.

zZaRDoZz said:

Ceejay

For that flamethrower:

Alt fire causes an unlit stream of fuel to spray out, forming a puddle on the ground that player can set on fire as those baddies use their awesome path finding to show up for the party. It would be a little something to warm Corey Whittle's heart.

Yeah, that would be awesome but i don't know how much "sense" it would make, i mean dropping fuel is a waste of ammo i would imagine and would be considerd a hazzard, what with a flamethrower that delibretaly leaks fuel. I was thinking something more towards the lines of a napalm fireball that burst into flames, must be something that enables it to shoot a distance as the primary attack is extemely short distant. I will see what i can do. I also have to make do with existing Marathon/custom sprites do not diviate to far from the look of the original.

zZaRDoZz said:

Also, see if the freedoom peeps would be kind enough to lend your project some maps. That way many end users will get to traverse areas they aren't overly familiar with.

Why them specifically? Why not anyother Moe in the community. The texture WAD wil be for anyone to make levels. This will of course be fully playable with any Doom maps.

Ceejay:

Yeah, that would be awesome but i don't know how much "sense" it would make, i mean dropping fuel is a waste of ammo i would imagine and would be considerd a hazzard, what with a flamethrower that delibretaly leaks fuel. I was thinking something more towards the lines of a napalm fireball that burst into flames, must be something that enables it to shoot a distance as the primary attack is extemely short distant. I will see what i can do. I also have to make do with existing Marathon/custom sprites do not diviate to far from the look of the original.

I probably got a little caught up in Damage Inc. with its semi-realistic weapons. Something more in tune with marathon's futuristic vibe would be more suitable of course.

Ceejay on maps:

Why them specifically?

New Boom/vanilla maps would be best certainly. Maps that are largely complete would have the advantage of speeding development to be sure.

Hey, those are the guns from Marathon: EVIL! I love the minigun! Kind of wish this wasn't EDGE-only, but heck, I figure it's about time that port started getting some real attention outside of the occasional lame thing.

Lizardcommando said:

This looks pretty neat. Is there a reason why you don't record the sound for your videos?

The reason there is no sound is because i suck, or HyperCam suck. I can't for the life of me get the sound recorded. Also i've no clue why it turns out so sluggish (the game runs fine on my computer). My conclusion is probably that HyperCam pretty much sucks. If anyone has tips or suggestions just give me a shout.

WildWeasel said:

Hey, those are the guns from Marathon: EVIL! I love the minigun! Kind of wish this wasn't EDGE-only, but heck, I figure it's about time that port started getting some real attention outside of the occasional lame thing.

Yep, i liked those weapons in EVIL. This will be for EDGE and only EDGE (unless someone ported it to something else which would have to be done with my permission). I don't care that people seem to flamingly hate EDGE, i like it, older versions used to be really buggy and unstable but i find it running perfect now. Also coding for EDGE is, in my opinion, far easier and selfexplanatory than say ZDoom. EDGE, take it or leave it.

Well, the mod is coming along fine. Most of the weapons are done, say for some tweaking and fine-tuning.

The HUD is still deeply under development, i've finished the basics for the gun display and I have tried to get a health/armor bar working (as opposed to simple number percentage) like in Marathon but can't get the damn thing working the way i want it to.

I've approached it in two diffrent ways, first one was severly resource-driven and i pulled it because it would just have been way too much work on graphics (i'm talking about an insane ammount of tidious grahpic work), the second was drastically less resource-driven and more heavy on code and this is the one that works best and is the preferred option. However the second one causes severe lag in the game to the point of unplayability. I'm kinda bummed out about the thing and don't know what else to do other than going back to standard number percentage.

Anybody care to give it a try or give me some hints and ideas ?
I have the second versions code handy so i can post it if anybody would like to take a look.

On another note, would anybody be interested in the textures WAD ? Have not decided yet wether to release it with the mod or not.

For those who are interested at all, the project is still going and actually getting near completion.

ducon said:

Do you know Alephone RubiconX?

Yes i do. I am using some custom weapons in the mod.

zZaRDoZz said:

@Ceejay

screenies?!?

Yeah... I will be uploading a new video soon showcasing the HUD. Though, i'm pretty lazy.