Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gunner

Massive Doom Music Tribute Released

Steve Rot's Doom Tribute is released and available for free download. The 34 song collection contains two volumes: Hell On Earth: Steve Rot's Doom 2 Tribute, and Phobos Anomaly: Steve Rot's Doom Tribute. For download link and more info, visit his MySpace music page.

Loving the organ in "Map01". It has a very jazzy feel.

However, the guitar part seems to falsetto a bit (?)

Pretty alright. I like the opening of map01 with its military-reminiscent sound and the dark sound of map05. Map04 remixes are almost always bound to be cool 'n' funky and this is no exception. Map08 get a thumbs up.

The problem I often have with Doom OST remixes is that they're often nothing more than the exact same tune with slightly different instruments, and rarely is there much of any creativity involved. Map08, however, has really nice guitar...

I quite liked E1M7. Has a medieval twist to it which I don't think goes so perfectly with the tune itself, but it's still cool in my book.

I just finished listening to the Phobos Anomaly. I really liked it some nice new, if subtle, twists on some of the mixes. A new breath of life to tunes I've heard a million times (loving Bunny). Well done. :)

Now I'm off to listen to Hell on Earth... :)

gemini09 said:

The problem I often have with Doom OST remixes is that they're often nothing more than the exact same tune with slightly different instruments, and rarely is there much of any creativity involved.

For years I've been skimming through hundreds of amateur Doom covers and guys playing guitar on Youtube. It seems that all anybody ever does is play a single guitar riff, or turn the song into some techno deal. No one in the history of audio recording has ever performed E1M1 Hangar correctly - ever. Not even Metallica.

But it's fine that people are having fun with Doom music. I encourage that sort of thing. My version is supposed to be professional quality though, so there's no excuse for me to sound like an amateur tinkering around with shit I don't understand.

Is the link broken for anyone else. It tells me the free download link is "javascript:void(0)"....
Anyone else getting this?

*Firestorm* said:

Is the link broken for anyone else. It tells me the free download link is "java script:void(0)"....
Anyone else getting this?

I just tried it and it worked. You can download it in shittier quality at another site I have, there's some dither so the high end (hats & cymbals) sound diminished.

Other than that there's not much you can do but wait until someone wants to host a 150mb file for me.

http://www.soundclick.com/steverotsdoomtribute

Mr. Chris said:

@Gunner: You can always use mediafire.com and megaupload.com (tho avoid MU's popup ads, they're dodgy at best tho the up/download isn't bad at all) to mirror it.

Those sites only host files for a limited amount of time. File Factory doesn't specify so I assume it hosts for an unlimited amount of time.

Mediafire's fine so long as you don't allow your account to fall inactive, in the 2.5 years I've used them I don't recall losing a single file.

I'm currently playing the tracks through my shiny new Class-T amplifier (a birthday present to myself) and must say they sound great. IrfanView crashes while playing your remixes, though I'd say that's the fault of it's mp3 plugin - there's no problems with XMPlay.

Mediafire

Zshare

Megaupload

Gunner, I have files up on Mediafire and Megaupload for more than 6 months and intact, so I have to say they are reliable..I dunno about Zshare so I'd say it could be a last resort d/l.

GreyGhost said:

IrfanView crashes while playing your remixes, though I'd say that's the fault of it's mp3 plugin - there's no problems with XMPlay.

Get iTunes running in the background and play some Doom.

And thanks for all the links everybody, but I'm sticking with one site. That's why I wanted an official host, so I don't have to keep uploading it every year.

Gunner said:

For years I've been skimming through hundreds of amateur Doom covers and guys playing guitar on Youtube. It seems that all anybody ever does is play a single guitar riff, or turn the song into some techno deal. No one in the history of audio recording has ever performed E1M1 Hangar correctly - ever. Not even Metallica.

I've played guitar for a long time, and I can do string skipping, sweep arpeggios and scale shredding. I also play other instruments as well, so hopefully you see this post as not being biased by some noob who has no idea what hes talking about (or maybe I am a noob who has no idea what he's talking about :-)! ).

Looking at the tablature, no one can play those really quick parts on guitar... except Rusty Cooley (sp?). Other than that, they're pretty much impossible-- but the other stuff in between isn't.
Also, almost all of those 'impossible sweeps' is actually impossible for even the most elite guitarists. I lied-- there's one near the end that I can do... but the others I DEFINITELY can't. Now... I could TRY, but if I'm going to upload a video, I want it to be as clean as possible (aka NO errors), but that's unrealistic with the scale/arpeggio played in E1M1.
Hopefully that offers some insight
EDIT: Though it's not impossible to modify the tablature so that they're aligned into fast do-able sweeps/economy picking... which is where I plan to take E1M1 one day!! :D
... but that won't sound 100% like the original (maybe 95%)

Onto the review of the remake
I liked it in some parts. Others I did not. I was not a fan of the Map01 remake, but I liked the E1M8 remake. I want to hear E2M2 and E1M5, but I didn't download the 150 meg (!!!) file. If he split them up into ultimate doom and doom2 that'd have been better.
Lastly, this is has been done before by many people so it's not innovative in any way... but it's nice to see people trying to put their own take on music they enjoy.

Chrispaks said:

Other than that, they're pretty much impossible-- but the other stuff in between isn't.

I wasn't talking about all that wanking, I was talking about the rhythm.

This is what everybody plays:
---7----5----3----1----1h3
00---00---0 0---0 0--00----

It's actually:
--7--5--3--1--2h3
0-- 0--0--0--0----
.---.--.---.--.----

The sequence played at the end of the 12 bar is also wrong every time. There's a root change. And there's also chromatic down-scale followed by a minor 6th interval that never gets played either.

I'm not complaining though, it's good to see people playing guitar and having a good time, I'm just saying that in my entire life I've never heard that riff, which is rather simple, have such a homogenous response of incorrect performances.

You could call it personal interpretation, but the lack of standard deviation in other people's performances leads me to believe that the people who are trying to play that song are actually under the impression that it's played with those double open notes.

Gunner said:

I wasn't talking about all that wanking, I was talking about the rhythm.

This is what everybody plays:
---7----5----3----1----1h3
00---00---0 0---0 0--00----

It's actually:
--7--5--3--1--2h3
0-- 0--0--0--0----
.---.--.---.--.----

The sequence played at the end of the 12 bar is also wrong every time. There's a root change. And there's also chromatic down-scale followed by a minor 6th interval that never gets played either.

I'm not complaining though, it's good to see people playing guitar and having a good time, I'm just saying that in my entire life I've never heard that riff, which is rather simple, have such a homogenous response of incorrect performances.

You could call it personal interpretation, but the lack of standard deviation in other people's performances leads me to believe that the people who are trying to play that song are actually under the impression that it's played with those double open notes.

Ah, please forgive me... I mis-read.
Also, yeah people fuck that up too :-(

I wonder why people don't just extract the MIDI file into a program like Guitar Pro that reads it? That would give the exact tablature too...

Plus since its MIDI its usually easy to find the exact note too... one could even sit there and pick out the notes one by one! But yeah I agree its good as long as people are having fun.

Gunner said:

It just sounds similar. I'm pretty sure that Metallica had no intentions at covering Doom music with No Remorse since Doom was to be released a decade later. :D

Riff from No Remorse is much brighter also as seen on the tab:

e|---------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------|
A|----10-----9-----7-----5-----5h7-|
E|0-0----0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0-----|

Here's E1M1's main riff:

e|---------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----7-----5-----3-----1-----2-3-----7-----5-----3-----1-|
E|-0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0-----0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0---|

It just sounds similar that's all. It's not stealing like this dumb video states.

Gunner said:

No one in the history of audio recording has ever performed E1M1 Hangar correctly - ever. Not even Metallica.

It dosen't make any sense, what the fuck dude?? No Remorse was made like a decade before E1M1: Hangar so Metallica performs everything correctly. I'm afraid that it's E1M1 that plays itself wrong. :P

Gunner said:

It's actually:
--7--5--3--1--2h3
0-- 0--0--0--0----
.---.--.---.--.----

The version played by everybody sounds a lot better on a guitar in my opinion.

TheUltimateDoomer said:

It dosen't make any sense, what the fuck dude?? No Remorse was made like a decade before E1M1: Hangar so Metallica performs everything correctly. I'm afraid that it's E1M1 that plays itself wrong. :P

Relax hot shot, I was making a joke.

TheUltimateDoomer said:

The version played by everybody sounds a lot better on a guitar in my opinion.

Please, save your hostility for someone who gives a shit.

Gunner said:

Relax hot shot, I was making a joke.

It's a misunderstanding then, thought you ment it.

Gunner said:

Please, save your hostility for someone who gives a shit.

Hostility? I was just expressing my opinion.

Gunner said:

Mr. Chris said:
@Gunner: You can always use mediafire.com and megaupload.com (tho avoid MU's popup ads, they're dodgy at best tho the up/download isn't bad at all) to mirror it.

Those sites only host files for a limited amount of time. File Factory doesn't specify so I assume it hosts for an unlimited amount of time.

I have been hosting files on megaupload since 2007, and files on mediafire since June 2009, and neither site has deleted any of my files.

You might be thinking of yousendit and sendspace, those don't keep files for long.

This is a really great effort. Not sure about the instrument selection all the time, but its a brilliant tribute.