Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Belial

A Speedmap

Meh. an hour of painful fda with no exit, taken with prboom+ 2.5.0.5 complevel 4. The fights are interesting and I think fairly balanced for UV, but they're so trappy you really only get one chance to mess up or you die. Perfect for speedrunners, not so great for 'casual' doomers. And the music choice goes well with the map, not that one will notice the music while getting their guts ripped out ;)

You're making maps again!
I did a god mode run but still ran out of ammo lols, so I guess you had a lot of infighting in mind?

No infighting is necessary in any part of the map, you can always kill everything yourself without tysoning (making the cacos fight the revs in the blue key room helps if you don't want to end up cging them). You just can't waste SSG shots.

Link updated with new version, now with difficulty settings.

HMP has some extra ammo, HNTR has less monsters.

Hey, I thought you'd basically boycotted mapping. It's cool to see you take another crack at it.

Okay, I just played through this, and... yikes. It's not so much that there isn't enough ammo, but that the ammo you need to finish each fight is behind the monsters that you're currently fighting. Provoking infighting definitely helps, as does ignoring the first baron and coming back to kill it later.

It's a good map for a UV MAX demo, but some traps require foreknowledge, which makes it less fun for a more casual play-through.

Belial said:

No infighting is necessary in any part of the map, you can always kill everything yourself without tysoning (making the cacos fight the revs in the blue key room helps if you don't want to end up cging them). You just can't waste SSG shots.

Link updated with new version, now with difficulty settings.

HMP has some extra ammo, HNTR has less monsters.

I always found in the maps that I made, that in order to playtest them appropriately, I had to play them lazily. When you make your own maps, you know what monsters you are going to encounter and what traps are going to be where and which directions monsters are going to chase you from. There's no telling how exactly players are going to play your maps when they are being introduced to it the first time. Not knowing what monsters are going to appear and from which direction may induce some shock value that may make them fire in the wrong direction, or not try too hard to be precise in their shooting and fireball dodging if they don't know the map is not going to have many resources. Whenever I played my maps I always had just enough ammo to take out all the monsters with, but everyone who played them was like "HOW COME YOU DIDNT PUT ANY HEALTH OR AMMO IN IT? THIS IS NOT FUN" And you are full of yourself if you think anyone is going to play a single map enough to be able to memorize where all the monsters and traps are going to be. I usually make my maps relatively easy for this reason. A lot of people think my maps are pretty good but I always make the assumption that they will only be played once.

No need to state the obvious. It's just a speedmap loosely inspired by map06 from dwspd024.wad. I made it so it would be challenging for me, so UV stays the way it is. TBH I don't expect people to be able to deal with how frustrating it can be. The exit trap is quite unfair and random if you don't take the easy way out.

If you don't think you could kill a Baron in 5 SSG shots while dodging it's fireballs in a 64 unit wide hallway, play HMP or HNTR.

Belial is a demo recorder. For best results, recording demos requires you to memorize maps. Maps like this are designed for memorization and I don't think it makes sense to criticize a map because of that. Especially when the mapper is a demo recorder. :)

Belial said:

No infighting is necessary in any part of the map

Oops, I must've missed some ammo then.

Since I read about 'low ammo' I managed to have enough ammo, I thought there were enough shells provided you shoot enough and finish enemies off with a pistol or chaingun. Played it on skulltag, UV using save/load for I am not a demo recorder :P The two traps that killllllled me constantly was the hordes of revenants after the two hell knights room and the exit. Health was scarce but this would be the kind of map that requires serious concentration and manoeuvring for a full UV max demo. Some monster infighting was pretty fun, particularly the one with the first cacodemons and pain elemental. Cramped rooms aren't exactly my favourite (I'd prefer a mixture of open and closed spaces) but still, good stuff!

gggmork said:
I don't have plutonia on this computer so I'll just rate your zshare link.. um, 8/10.

What? The link sucks... I had to open another browser because it blocked mine for using AdBlock, and then it also made me wait a minute in queue. I'd rate it 3/10 (at least I got the file!)

myk said:

What? The link sucks... I had to open another browser because it blocked mine for using AdBlock

For Adblock Plus, there's a fix for this: add

@@.zshare.net/ads.js?
to the list of filters.