Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Heretic GHOST translucency has priority over "translucency" field

As in thread title, the fixed alpha set up by the GHOST flag ignores any custom value you may give to the translucency field in the thingtype block.

Shouldn't the translucency field have priority over GHOST, just like how it has over TRANSLUCENT?

printz said:

As in thread title, the fixed alpha set up by the GHOST flag ignores any custom value you may give to the translucency field in the thingtype block.

Shouldn't the translucency field have priority over GHOST, just like how it has over TRANSLUCENT?

Probably so. It would make more sense. Problem is, has anybody relied on this in a mod yet? I doubt it but it's hard to know :P

The idea that some people would give an alpha value to something just so that it's not used because of a flag seems a bit odd to me.

Gez said:

The idea that some people would give an alpha value to something just so that it's not used because of a flag seems a bit odd to me.

The intention was to make "ghost" monsters whose translucency is stronger than what they offer by default, while also benefitting from the enemy inaccuracy. I think the only flags that make other monsters inaccurate are SHADOW and GHOST, and both have additional effects that override the intended alpha value

I was commenting on Quasar's reservation that the current behavior may be relied upon by some mod.

I suppose it might be possible there's a special effect achievable by adding and removing the GHOST flag, but it really seems unlikely to have been used.

Plus, there aren't that many released Eternity mods compatible with the current codebase (I know of only two: Kerker and OPF), all others are work-in-progress projects so they could adapt to a change if they really need it.

Gez said:

Plus, there aren't that many released Eternity mods compatible with the current codebase (I know of only two: Kerker and OPF), all others are work-in-progress projects so they could adapt to a change if they really need it.

That alone should be reason enough to change it to make it consistent. If there were hundreds of mods out there that depended on it it'd be different.