Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grubber

Collecting mushrooms (non-psychoactive)

So, is it common in your country? Here in Czech Republic it's pretty usual. I just got back from the forest, here's what I've got:

The heap on the left is of boletus chrysenteron, the heap in the middle is a mixture of boletus edulis, boletus reticulatus and boletus pinophilus, the dark-reddish ones on the top right are boletus erythropus, on the bottom there are suillus luteus, suillus grevillei, a mixture of various leccinum and a small macrolepiota procera. (I probably got some wrong, also the latin isn't properly used, sorry about that.)

Do you like mushrooms? In what food?

Mushrooms are awesome. I like them on most food. The ones that grow here naturally usually tend to be horribly toxic, so we leave them alone or find a way to kill them. The ones from the store are fresh and tasty. The canned mushrooms often used on frozen pizzas are disgusting.

There's a mix of mushrooms that they sell at Costco that includes morels. Morels are fucking awesome. I've actually seen them growing in the rain forests around here, though I didn't pick any because I don't know the difference between them and false morels.

Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods (along with shrimp), and are great on pizzas and in pastas. Not to mention cream of mushroom soup.

Yes, mushrooms are awesome. No, I don't pick them. Yes, it would be nice if I could find mushrooms besides the white-caps that typically grow in my yard after a good rain.

I wish here would grow mushrooms other than the white ones that tells you you have some piping problems going on at your house. They're kind of a food wildcard, almost everything works with them :)

I love them. Except anything canned, those are wrong. We have some fairly exotic dried ones at work.

There's some fine cartoon-like red and white mushrooms in the forests and hills few miles from my town. Some at least 30cm wide. Of course, the only mushrooms I ever eat are the little rubbery grey ones on my pizza. I think mushroom-picking would be considered an eccentric hobby here in Scotland.

Captain Toenail said:

There's some fine cartoon-like red and white mushrooms in the forests and hills few miles from my town.

Highly psychedelic mushrooms there, pal. Dry 'em and smoke 'em while listening to some good Pink Floyd music.

The only foods I eat with mushrooms are pizza and spaghetti. Anything else or by itself justs tastes too weird for me.

I love mushrooms but I'd never try to pick my own. I'd end up with a death cap or something ;)

Yup, I'm lucky to live near a damp forest area and there are regular mushroom growths and pickers, even in summer if there's enough rain.

There are mostly three kind of people that pick mushrooms around here:

• Russkies and other Slavs: they pick literally ANYTHING as long as it's plentiful and edible. Most of the stuff they pick I wouldn't eat, just not tasty enough. Sure makes for a cheap meal, though.
  • Wannabe "connoisseurs": mostly Greek nationals organized in mushroom picking clubs. They have a literary knowledge of mushrooms, but they pretty much end up picking whatever is barely edible, also because they don't have the patience/experience to go where the good stuff grows.
  • Real connoisseurs (like me and my family): we only pick up gourmet-class mushrooms like Boletus edulis, Amanita caesarea, Cantharellus cibarius and the occasional wild Champignons. They are harder to find but totally worth it.
I see you got some Boletus Edulis yourself ;-)

As to how we use them...well, some end up used in spaghetti sauces, some baked in pies etc. but my favourite is slicing them thin and eating them raw with some seasoning such as olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar (especially the Boletus and Amanita ones)

exp(x) said:

I prefer to not eat things in the same kingdom as athlete's foot and jock itch.

I prefer not to eat things in the same kingdom as tapeworms and deer ticks.

I prefer not to eat things in the same kingdom as sphagnum moss and stinging nettle.

Danarchy said:

I prefer not to eat things in the same kingdom as sphagnum moss and stinging nettle.

Sucks to be you.

Danarchy said:

Then you must not eat anything in the same kingdom as arthropods, for they include crabs, lobsters, etc. but also arachnids, so when you eat a lobster it's like eating a heavily modified scorpion or spider.

Also, do you eat the eggs that come out of the hens' assholes and the honey that is vomited by the bees?

How about beef that has been fed ground animal flour, which is made by passing whole dead cows, cats, chickens, dogs, pigs and random roadkill along with their horns, fur, hide, shoes, nails, shit-filled intestines and all through giant grinding mills?

Or, do you eat chicken soup, which is made by grinding whole chickens boiled in dirty water until they become a sort of tasty cream containing feathers, beaks, legs, bones, shit, etc. ?

exp(x) said:

Sucks to be you.

Maes said:

Then you must not eat anything in the same kingdom as arthropods, for they include crabs, lobsters, etc. but also arachnids, so when you eat a lobster it's like eating a heavily modified scorpion or spider.

Also, do you eat the eggs that come out of the hens' assholes and the honey that is vomited by the bees?

How about beef that has been fed ground animal flour, which is made by passing whole dead cows, cats, chickens, dogs, pigs and random roadkill along with their horns, fur, hide, shoes, nails, shit-filled intestines and all through giant grinding mills?

Or, do you eat chicken soup, which is made by grinding whole chickens boiled in dirty water until they become a sort of tasty cream containing feathers, beaks, legs, bones, shit, etc. ?

o <--------The Point
You----------------------------------------> o

Maes said:

I see you got some Boletus Edulis yourself ;-)

Yup, these (and the other equally good boletus ones) are the reason I went to the woods in the first place :-)

Maes said:

we only pick up gourmet-class mushrooms

Well, I'm not that picky, for 2 reasons: a) the inferior ones are still good in non-mushroom-centric dishes, b) it's lame to come back home empty-handed, when there isn't much of the good stuff. But don't get me wrong, I would not pick everything, there are standards ;-)

Danarchy said:

o <--------The Point
You----------------------------------------> o

Where each "-" represents a fermi.

Danarchy said:

Fermi or light year, you still missed it.

Whatever happened to engineering tolerances here?