Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Do portal interfaces exist?

Does Eternity support giving flats to floor-ceiling portal boundaries, so I could make horizontal midgrates or windows? The former would imply an interesting case of let projectiles cross, but not other actors, like those impassable 2-sided midwalls.

printz said:

Does Eternity support giving flats to floor-ceiling portal boundaries, so I could make horizontal midgrates or windows? The former would imply an interesting case of let projectiles cross, but not other actors, like those impassable 2-sided midwalls.

That has been on the slate for quite some time now, and I even added code for translucent flat drawers like a year ago. I am not sure what precisely is holding it up to be honest :)

Cool! Are "horizontal midgrates" taken into consideration? I mean boundaries through which you can shoot traces or projectiles, but not other clipping objects.

Quasar said:

That has been on the slate for quite some time now, and I even added code for translucent flat drawers like a year ago. I am not sure what precisely is holding it up to be honest :)

In what development state are these now? Are they in?

Mordeth said:

Seconded.

SoM has implemented them in portal-clip branch, and they are fully functional as far as rendering goes. However portal-clip branch is still a very long way from being merged into trunk.

What kind was implemented? Translucent flats? Is there support (in the branch) for flats with transparent windows for this?

printz said:

What kind was implemented? Translucent flats? Is there support (in the branch) for flats with transparent windows for this?

Not as of yet because there is no way to indicate a transparent area in a flat. I must leave it to SoM to work such ability into the "new" texture system somehow, and then tell me how to write the requisite masked span drawers.

Quasar said:

Not as of yet because there is no way to indicate a transparent area in a flat.

But you can apply a texture to a floor or ceiling now, can't you?

Gez said:

Yes but that doesn't mean they are masked. The areas which would be transparent on a wall will currently appear as GameModeInfo->blackIndex when displayed on a floor, which for DOOM at least is palette index 0.

Gez said:

You can...? I should configure Doom Builder to allow it (both 1 and 2, depending where I work).

printz said:

You can...? I should configure Doom Builder to allow it (both 1 and 2, depending where I work).

If you are using a recent SVN build, yes. Floor/ceiling and wall textures are interchangeable as of SVN r1161.

Going more into this... Can translucent flats be applied to regular anchored portals? Those are more likely than linked portals to have this effect. Is it OK to have two in the map layers with two matching gateways (portals) connecting them, one a regular anchored portal, another being linked?

Finally, for portal clipping, is it foreseeable to implement for linked portals a logic similar to that of impassable 2-sided lines, to only allow PROJECTILE, BOUNCES and FRIEND (AFAIR) actors to pass?

Gez said:

As far as masked textures on portal flats go, internally, there's the question of efficiently handling texture masking for span drawers without needing to rewrite the graphics loader to sacrifice a palette color for transparency like ZDoom's does. I suggested generating a 1-bit mask to accompany the texture, but SoM tells me it'd likely be slow. :\

esselfortium said:

As far as masked textures on portal flats go, internally, there's the question of efficiently handling texture masking for span drawers without needing to rewrite the graphics loader to sacrifice a palette color for transparency like ZDoom's does. I suggested generating a 1-bit mask to accompany the texture, but SoM tells me it'd likely be slow. :\

I think a per-resource colorkey (perhaps in textual texture definitions?) would be a better and less costly solution than a full bitmask.