Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

wad design challenge community project competition thing idea

1. Design a wad to be as challenging as possible with 20 imps, a demon, three shotgun guys and one arch vile. The creative challenge is to make the wad as fun and interesting and long as possible.

There was something like this at the end of E1M8, the trick was to use really low lighting to make what was actually like.. 5 or 6 monsters feel like there was 2,000,000,000.

40oz said:

There was something like this at the end of E1M8, the trick was to use really low lighting to make what was actually like.. 5 or 6 monsters feel like there was 2,000,000,000.

Yea totally blew my mind when I was 8yrs old or whatever.

"I killed the Barons, what is this satan face? Maybe I should walk on it...

WTF IT TOOK MY IDDQD!!!!!!!!! OHHH MY GOD MONSTERS EVERYWHERE"

Mr. T said:

Yea totally blew my mind when I was 8yrs old or whatever.

Same here.

That moment alone may be responsible for Doom's lasting hold on us all.

the idea is to get the arch vile to resurrect the imps over and overa gain--in such a creative way that you can't easily kill the archvile and the imps keep shwoing up in new places......

Mr. T said:

WTF IT TOOK MY IDDQD!!!!!!!!! OHHH MY GOD MONSTERS EVERYWHERE"

Hahaha oh yes. If there was ever anything that could create so much shock value in such minuscule way it is a sector that can steal your cheat codes. I fucking shat my pants trying to type in iddqd again before i died. (or reached 11% health rather)

I liked it, Phil. Could tell the second I saw the exit door and the 8 imps at the start what was going to happen, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable. :)

yeah, I liked it too. When I'm done with my current wad (which inspired this project idea) I will make one as well.

great! I liked how it had the feeling like the arch vile was overworked and running around frantically trying to keep things from falling apart.

Thanks guys :D

Just played both Jodwin's and ArmorBlood's maps and both were fun to play :)

Hellbent said:

the idea is to get the arch vile to resurrect the imps over and overa gain--in such a creative way that you can't easily kill the archvile and the imps keep shwoing up in new places......

that will get old after the first map

Tried AB's map. I thought it was a bit cramped, and after killing the demon, I backed up when the floor went up and got stuck.

The Lag said:

that will get old after the first map

I could prove you wrong, but it would require way too much effort and time. It would require some creative and innovative mapping.

Certainly adding limitations like 1024 would only strengthen your case. I was hoping people would think outside the box with this one. That said, I liked all the maps so far, and don't want to discourage people from attempting it. If everyone wants to make 1024 maps, by all means! Maybe I'll make a map today since I am having a helluva time finetuning and finishing my other map, to show you that not all the maps would be the same.

]Eponasoft:
Vanilla? Boom? Zdoom?

I was thinking vanilla, but boom would be fine, too.

Hellbent said:

Certainly adding limitations like 1024 would only strengthen your case.

Well, I made a quick 1024 map only because it was 1 AM and I was damn tired at the time. Also, the gameplay idea was pretty simple and making it bigger just for the sake of it would have been pointless (if you played it on HMP, try UV, the berserk screws up the idea of first killing the sarges to get enough ammo to kill the AV with the shotgun, while avoiding attacks).

Your wad was good, Jodwin. It was a creative way to do it. I just started working on mine. I am going to break my own rules, tho. I want to add a zombieman. It is more atmospheric for my map than using an imp or shotgun guy.

EDIT: I'm also replacing the demon with a cacodemon.
k, that's lame.. I am going by the rules. And I accidentally overwrote the file. Oh well, it wasn't much anyway. I took a screenie of the one cool part of it anyway.