Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

ZDoom 2.5.0/GZDoom 1.5.0

ZDoom's SVN repository reached r2500 recently. Shortly after, ZDoom 2.5.0 is there, followed by GZDoom 1.5.0. The highlight is the new "MiniBSP" system which harnesses the internal nodebuilder to allow polyobjects to have any arbitrary shape, instead of being limited to convexity. They can also travel all around the map. But there are also many other important changes, such as non-compressed extended nodes (also supported by PrBoom+ and Eternity Engine), support for using Byte Map Fonts in mods, compatibility options allowing a gameplay much closer to vanilla, and a ton of other enhancement and bug fixes.

Neat. The only reasons I don't use always use ZDoom for normal playing are some of the altered vanilla mechanics (player over monster for example) etc. Hopefully there's an option to turn fireballs non-translucent too. Or is there such an option in the latest versions that I've missed?

hervoheebo said:

Neat. The only reasons I don't use always use ZDoom for normal playing are some of the altered vanilla mechanics (player over monster for example) etc.

That has been an option since forever.

Hopefully there's an option to turn fireballs non-translucent too. Or is there such an option in the latest versions that I've missed?

No, there is not and there won't be. You can disable all translucency or use a patch that changes this though.

Gez said:

ZDoom's SVN repository reached r2500 recently.

Are releases based on nice rounded SVN numbers, or actual branch completion? Because I think I've seen these kinds of celebrations before.

SonicIce said:

just a minor thing, i always wondered why zdoom has anti-aliased automap lines but gzdoom doesn't?

Because when I checked it long ago they looked like crap in OpenGL so I immediately disabled them again.

If this sounds corny I apologize, but I just want to say thanks to everyone who continues to work on the development of these sourceports and svn builds. IMHO they are the best sourceports for their wide range of compatibility and flexibility, and while I continue to experiment with others Z and GZ remain the ones that I rely upon when I want to seriously play Doom, Hexen or the like. I can't imagine still having this much fun with Doom if I didn't have these sourceports. Uber thanks to all involved!

Fantastic work on the new release, compatibility changes especially.

I have one question, however. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4850 that I have recently taken out and upgraded for a Radeon HD 5770 after I found that the fan had quit on me, as I needed an excuse to upgrade to a card that could handle 1920x1080 on BFBC2. However, the card still works fine, and I'm pretty sure that the permanent fix is something as simple as replacing the fan. If there is any interest by any of the current maintainers of GZDoom, I could be convinced to actually attempt to replace the fan and then donate the card.

So I suppose my question is, is there any interest in this card by any of the current maintainers? If not, I'll probably try and sell it on craigslist.