Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
grubber

Wolfenstein goes GPL

Unfortunately, RtCW MP is more or less dead now, and ET was never the same. I doubt, that this release bear any big stuff, aside from maybe Linux ports.

It's nice to hear that engines are still being GPLd now that id is part of Bethesda.

I'm less interested in the source release for those particular games.

What is far more interesting however is their exiting from the engine middleware market. Which frankly Epic do not own yet, not while big players like Crytek are still in the game. This smacks of Bethesda saying "look guys, no more money for expensive research projects; just buy middleware".

DaniJ said:

What is far more interesting however is their exiting from the engine middleware market. Which frankly Epic do not own yet, not while big players like Crytek are still in the game.

Crytek are more or less Linux to Epics Microsoft at this point.

The may be but Crytek certainly aren't lacking the technical expertise to do something about the situation. Just look at how awesome the latest incarnation of the engine is.

Well yes, obviously. However my point is you can't really say Epic "own" the middleware engine market. The Linux/Microsoft comparison is only partially applicable here. Those two (Linux/Microsoft) have been battling it out far longer than Epic's relatively recent dominance of the middleware engine market. And this dominance is largely due to lack of competition in the console domain.

Perhaps I just like routing for the underdog.

DaniJ said:

Those two (Linux/Microsoft) have been battling it out far longer than Epic's relatively recent dominance of the middleware engine market. And this dominance is largely due to lack of competition in the console domain.

That's true. However, unless CryEngine 3 takes off soon, devs are just going to go UE because it's what they're used to.

If Epic and Crytek are Microsoft and Linux, does that make Emergent Apple?

Well imo if we want to draw this comparison I'd say Emergent are more like FreeBSD. This space doesn't really have a player fulfilling the "Apple role".

The "Apple" in this case would be RenderWare, or probably Vicarious Visions Alchemy. (Does anybody still make games in those anymore?)

Great news!

I'd love to see a RTCW port with engine improvements, similar to what Tenebrae did to Quake for example. RTCW must be the last single player FPS I truly loved playing (since Doom 2 :).

I've actually wondered to myself what it would take to hack upon ioquake3 to support RTCW, now I'm glad we don't have to take the effort to find out :p

For the record, I never got any response to those Wolf3D source licensing e-mails.

jute said:

For the record, I never got any response to those Wolf3D source licensing e-mails.

Supposedly Carmack has a twitter account where he appears to be responding to people. Has anyone tried contacting him that way?

I could've sworn someone contacted Carmack about Wolf3D before and got his okay. Twitter is probably a good route to go if that isn't the case; I'd do it myself but I don't have an account there.

Sign in to follow this