Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_MártonJános

Ultimate DooM mod Project: Five Places.wad by Cell (Applying playtesters!)

Hello Everyone!

I'm making a MegaWAD for Ultimate DooM, called Five Places.wad. The construction is still in process, but I've already made E1M1-E1M8. The story is 20 years after the end of "TNT: Evilution", when the Marine receives a message that hellspawn attacked a planet called Planet Ossible.

It's E1, a 10-level tribute to the whole Ultimate DooM. It also has a feeling of an 1Monster mod (yeah, I've just explored 1Monster.wad nowadays, I didn't know about it before), because every level contains just one monster of original UD, from Trooper to Spider Mastermind. In order to make E1M10 possible, I've already made a Mapinfo file.

E2 is Planet Mars. It has also a reference to UD, but just because the original E1 and E2 were Phobos and Deimos, the moons of Mars. (First question: I need some lessons or some enenlightenment about coloured sector scripts and the use of them, because I want to make all outdoor sectors red.) Doomguy in this mission has to save the main buildings of UAC from hellspawn invasion and destroy a Cyberdemon. Only red keys will be used in this episode.

E3 will be the North Pole. UACMN.wad also used some scenes referring to this place, but I want to do this one better (I won't have so much trouble about making it! :D). Here the Marine is against another Cyber who wants to kill people by melting all the ice on the pole and cause a very massive flood all over the Globe. Only blue keys will be used in this episode.

E4 is the deserts and the Equalizer Area. While the Marine fought on the Pole, another monster invasion attacked Earth, now in the Equalizer Area, and they also settled into the Egyptian Pyramids and Mezopotamian Zikkurates. First, Doomguy has to fight in the dry and hot deserts, then, he must go underground to kill many monsters in the ancient crypts and make the leader of the group, the Spider Mastermind just a bad history. Only yellow keys will be used in this episode.

E5 (Second question: is it possible to make a launcher text to an Episode Five from the New Game menu???) will be inside PC systems. The Marine had beaten the giant Spider, but it wasn't the real challenge for him, because the Hellspawn made a trap: they had built a shrinker generator in the ceiling of the deepest crypt, where Doomguy fought with the Spider Mastermind. It is now revealed and s*cks him into the Computer Systems, where he is threatened by mini-monsters and Trojan Horses.

The WAD will also contain a Super Secret level, which can be gained from Episode 3. And, every episode will have 2 secret levels.

I'm assuming you're using ZDoom, in which case there's a very easy way to set launcher text for a fifth episode. When you define the episode you can set an image or text for the selection box. If you're not using ZDoom, you'd probably need to tell us the port you're using.

Also can we see some screens? I'd love to see what your general architecture looks like.

Yeah, I've forgotten to write if you want to see some pics I'll definitely share them about every level.

[Removed loredrop, too much. Thread has further edits similar to this one.]

Got 2 go now, I'll make a few screenshots.

Edited by The_MártonJános

I suggest using UDMF format instead of the old Zdoom In Hexen format. It's superior in quite a few ways, including expanded limits from even the Hexen format. I'm not sure how hard it would be to convert the 8 levels you already have, but you would be well advised to do so. Also, cute thing with the "Impossible" :D. I eagerly await screenshots.

I'm liking the designs a lot, but I think it wouldn't hurt to go back and do a detail pass. As it stands those look like fun maps but they also look like 1996 or so maps.

Yeah nothing wrong with the detail level, especially if it's going for a 'classic' style. Looking good, although I'm not sure I like the 1monster idea, but whatever.

The maps look kinda interesting but I really don't think you should go with the 1 monster idea. There was already a 1-monster megawad that was released a while back. It was ok for the first few levels, but then it just got really tedious and boring to play.

Clonehunter said:

I wish I knew how to create slopes like that. Really cool!

It's called "Plane" effect, used on linedefs and works in ZDooM format and "smarter".

[Removed rest of the post, it's cringe overexplaining and finding lame excuses]

Hi again!
E1M8 is already completed (screens after request).
E1M9 is half-completed, but predicts itself to be a huge map.

[Removed bullshit no-one cares/cared about]

UDMF or Hexen format won't be used at all, because mapping in those is just a nightmare

Hexen format has its annoyances, but UDMF is pretty much the perfect format.

And though I don't think there are configs made available for it, there is a "ZDoomTranslated" namespace that is exactly like the Doom format (use the same line types), except with less limits and more possibilities.

The problem that Ragnor encountered was that he trusted DB2 to be a map converter. It is not a map converter, just an editor. All the problems he met (with tags and specials disappearing) are because of DB2's conversion, not because of the format.

There are a few converters available but none that have official pages as far as I know. You can look here for a start.

imp lord2 said:

this looks very nice. can't wait to play it!

May I upload a "trailer version" of the WAD, after "Planet Ossible" is finished? :)

Gez said:

The problem that Ragnor encountered was that he trusted DB2 to be a map converter. It is not a map converter, just an editor. All the problems he met (with tags and specials disappearing) are because of DB2's conversion, not because of the format.

Got it. I've just said because of my very huge lack of experience in those (yet frickin' hard for me) formats.

There are a few converters available but none that have official pages as far as I know. You can look here for a start.

Incredible! Thanks a bunch!

Looks very solid. The detail is perfect for me. As long as the map look good you don't need to add over nine thousand sectors (what 9000??!??). Keep it up, can't wait to play it. Yet I think it would be better if you drop the "one monster" thing of the first episode as the maps seems to be solid enough for be fun by themselves.

If you want I could try to make some new monsters for you test and see if want to to use as end bosses without using the over used bestiary monsters.

Vegeta said:

If you want I could try to make some new monsters for you test and see if want to to use as end bosses without using the over used bestiary monsters.

[Loredrop, removed]

if you're gonna use the skull key--use it only once and choose where; either as the marine's head or shooting out the cacodemon.

Cell said:

You might have a point, because it's not called Skull.wad or Skullkeys.wad :D

Heh, I just meant from an artistic point of view. I think it's kinda cheesy if you use it twice.

Hellbent said:

Heh, I just meant from an artistic point of view. I think it's kinda cheesy if you use it twice.

It's used thrice. Look at the Baron's right hand...

This wad looks stuning from what I am seing :)
Also the beta titlepic is quite good and the marine with the yellow skull key as it's head made me LOL.

The Lag said:

most of those titles sound very funny and might get this project mistaken for a jokewad.

[Deleted lame ass response finding excuses]