Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redstar

D00M movie fans

Hey there. I'm having difficulty finding an active D00M site so I registered here as it had the most recent updates. I'm looking for any fan communities or sites devoted to the movie (which I've never seen, though I have a reason for this) and Google isn't turning up anything through my search terms. Any help?

I apologize if this isn't the right forum or place to ask this.

Probably not, though I'm well aware that minorities always exist in every fandom. Just trying to find out if this particular fan scene has such a minority for their ill-received adaptation.

(And I note that this forum is for general discussion as far as the classic D00M games, not general D00M discussion... in general. Sorry about that)

Since when was Doom spelled with zeros instead of Os? This is the second thread in a month where I've seen this in the title. Did I miss a memo or something?

I know some people here liked the movie. I wasn't really one of them. I did however think the chainsaw part was pretty cool, up until he killed the pinky by shooting in the head (boring)

I don't hate the movie. It was, as I expected during its development, nothing great, but it did provide some entertaining aspects. I certainly prefer it over the (classic) novels, although it's not as catchy as the comic book.

(And I note that this forum is for general discussion as far as the classic D00M games, not general D00M discussion... in general. Sorry about that)

That's all right; the more generic stuff goes here, and while the movie has more DOOM 3 than DOOM inspiration, it's a standalone "franchise" product and isn't tied to either game.

If only the monsters were real demons from hell, and the fallen marines turned into zombies, then it'd have been a great action movie.

That, or giving the movie a name that doesn't relate to DOOM.

I still enjoyed watching it, as I didn't expect much.

The closest you'll get is probably the Doom board on IMDb.

I liked the film. It was about average-- not great, but not bad. I wish I owned it.

I had the movie on my PSP to watch on a plane journey. Watched 40 mins and nothing still happened. Turned it off and fell asleep, was much more exciting.

exp(x) said:

Since when was Doom spelled with zeros instead of Os? This is the second thread in a month where I've seen this in the title. Did I miss a memo or something?

LOL, I do it because I think it looks better with narrow narrow zeros compared to "O".

exp(x) said:

Like Chronohunter, I use 0s rather than Os because I think the narrowness looks close to the official font.

Vegeta said:

If only the monsters were real demons from hell, and the fallen marines turned into zombies, then it'd have been a great action movie.

That's mine and most D00M fans' reason against the movie, I believe. Though I'm torn on the actual validity of such a complaint, as we all know the original "plot" was nothing more than an excuse to shoot 'em all.

Considering that image hotlinking is banned on that (presumably shit) site, I'm assuming you're talking about :

Spoiler

Sam Neill's character when he reappears on the ship, all eviscerated and demonic, like.

I always liked Event Horizon. There are obvious parallels with it and Doom (the game, not the movie) which is one of the reasons.

You definitely won't find any communities dedicated to the Doom movie alone, but, as this is a Doom fansite, we're more than willing to talk about it here (though, obviously, our opinions are not all favourable).

I finally saw the Doom movie recently, and I actually liked it. I made a point of dropping all biases about what a Doom movie should be and just watched it as I would watch any other generic action flick. In this mindset, instead of finding the movie to be disappointingly unlike Doom, I appreciated the shout-outs, like the scientists' names, the Doom 3-esque scenery, and "The Kid" who refuses to fire upon innocent civilians, referencing one of the games' back-stories.

It even didn't disappoint me that the BFG is never used to waste any baddies. Plot-wise, the "SG grenades" are the BFG of the Doom movie.

scalliano said:
Considering that image hotlinking is banned

Cutting and pasting on the address bar works, though.

Event Horizon has some cool DOOM-like aspects, but also lacks various other important DOOM traits, such as action and humor, which along with winks to the game, the DOOM movie does have, as Creaphis noted.

I actually work on a site dedicated to the Super Mario Bros. movie, also a video game adaptation that was not well-received by most fans or the general public. We're recently revamping the site with new information and interviews with the cast and production so I was working to gather affiliates. Sites dedicated to other video game adaptations seemed like the right area to look in.

On that note, I haven't actually seen the movie. Other than the change from demonic invaders to genetic experimentation it seems like a decent thing to watch. I grew up being scared shitless at classic D00M and was psyched at the release of D00M3 (which was a good game, just not a good D00M game other than the story).

What do you guys think of the original D00M movie? It was slated to star Arnold Schwarzenegger as D00M Guy, which would have made for a badass '80s movie. Better than what we got?

Redstar said:

I actually work on a site dedicated to the Super Mario Bros. movie, also a video game adaptation that was not well-received by most fans or the general public. We're recently revamping the site with new information and interviews with the cast and production so I was working to gather affiliates. Sites dedicated to other video game adaptations seemed like the right area to look in.

Okay, leaving aside the hilariousness of your hobby, I'd say that movies need time to become cult classics, and it would make more sense for you to seek affiliation with other sites dedicated to cult classics instead of with sites dedicated to video game movies, most of which are too recent and forgettable to have a following.

Redstar said:

What do you guys think of the original D00M movie? It was slated to star Arnold Schwarzenegger as D00M Guy, which would have made for a badass '80s movie. Better than what we got?

Wait what? I've never heard of this. Can you link us to any info about it?

Yeah I heard of this. I read it in a Doom walkthrough book. But a bad ass 80's movie? I thought Doom came out in 1993?

But a bad ass 80's movie?

He surely means something akin to Commando or Rambo.

Creaphis said:

Okay, leaving aside the hilariousness of your hobby, I'd say that movies need time to become cult classics, and it would make more sense for you to seek affiliation with other sites dedicated to cult classics instead of with sites dedicated to video game movies, most of which are too recent and forgettable to have a following.

My hobby is actually working for other sites by taking the time to contact sources and collecting references. My work for the Super Mario Bros. movie site is more about mediating interviews with members of the cast and production. Last few days I put together an interview with Mojo Nixon (actor that played Toad) for the site.

I actually tried looking for sites dedicated to cult classics and you'd be surprised to learn there aren't any, or at least there aren't any dedicated to general cult classics. Most are incredibly narrow, such as B-movie horror classics from the '50s.

myk said:

He surely means something akin to Commando or Rambo.

Yeah, that's what I meant. In the vein of an '80s action flick, but obviously not of the era.

Redstar said:

Last few days I put together an interview with Mojo Nixon (actor that played Toad) for the site.

I had to see if it was the same Mojo Nixon that did the music for Redneck Rampage. It is! Those songs were hilarious.

Redstar, there's a little patch that adds the machinegun from the movie into the game. It's simple but cute, if you're interested I can send you a copy.

Heh...I watched the Doom movie in the only theater in my town that had it...and I was the only spectator (at least on the balcony rows, in any case there should have been less people that you could count on the fingers of one hand).

I had seen no reviews, except for a rumor that there'd be a "FPS sequence" and as soon as I saw that, yes, at LAST there was a Doom movie out which I had been hearing about ever since 1994, I thought no further.

It wasn't as bad as most people make it to be: to the random viewer, it's pretty much on par with any cliched sci-fi/horror flick you'd rent over a weekend, surely not Oscar material but not something you could feel disappointed over. You rented a movie about marines mowing down monsters in a wish-it-was-Alien setting, and that's what you get, nothing less and, certainly, nothing more. Still, it was a disappointment for a full price movie theater. Only the feeling that a cycle had closed made shelling out nearly 9 Euros to see what should have been some straight-to-video B-movie more digestible.

Of course, to people with a long memory the name "Doom" carries a heavy legacy and comes with heightened expectations. Well, for those people, I agree, the flick fell flat on its face. For the mainstream, random viewer, there was nothing too good or too bad about it, and that was that.

The fact that the production was distanced from "classic Doom" didn't surprise me one bit. 11 years (at the time) was a looooong time for "'sum friggin' 'puter game" to still be mainstream. The fact that there was a rush of other "videogame movies" at the time (based on more recent franchises such as House of the Dead, Resident Evil etc.) didn't really help it stand out either. And unlike other videogame frachises, Doom didn't really have much going about it as far as media spinoffs were concerned (The Doom Comic? Gimme a break!). Compare it with e.g. Super Mario's comics in Nintendo Power, Super Mario Super Show, Street Fighter, etc.

I sincerely wonder how many people who watched it knew what Doom was all about in the first place, either Doom 3 or Classic Doom.

Maes said:

I sincerely wonder how many people who watched it knew what Doom was all about in the first place, either Doom 3 or Classic Doom.

The guy who directed Doom went on to direct Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. The answer is obvious.

POTGIESSER said:

I had to see if it was the same Mojo Nixon that did the music for Redneck Rampage. It is! Those songs were hilarious.

Yep. Mojo's interview is a riot if you're a fan of the SMB movie and still pretty funny even if you've never seen it or don't like it.

Vegeta said:

Redstar, there's a little patch that adds the machinegun from the movie into the game. It's simple but cute, if you're interested I can send you a copy.

I've never been much for modded games though a few years back I did look into patches to mod the DOOM3 monsters to look more like their original renditions or to add some of the missing guys. Didn't turn up anything, unfortunately.

Clonehunter said:

Anyways, as for a fansite... There is a small incomplete one thats pops out from the UK. It mostly talks about some behind the scenes stuff, but is still pretty cool. Heres the link:

http://www.doommoviearchive.co.uk/

Thanks a lot, man. This site is definitely what I was looking for and in the same vein as the Super Mario Bros. The Movie Archive (similar titles too).

Maes said:

Heh...I watched the Doom movie in the only theater in my town that had it...and I was the only spectator (at least on the balcony rows, in any case there should have been less people that you could count on the fingers of one hand).

I had seen no reviews, except for a rumor that there'd be a "FPS sequence" and as soon as I saw that, yes, at LAST there was a Doom movie out which I had been hearing about ever since 1994, I thought no further.

It wasn't as bad as most people make it to be: to the random viewer, it's pretty much on par with any cliched sci-fi/horror flick you'd rent over a weekend, surely not Oscar material but not something you could feel disappointed over. You rented a movie about marines mowing down monsters in a wish-it-was-Alien setting, and that's what you get, nothing less and, certainly, nothing more. Still, it was a disappointment for a full price movie theater. Only the feeling that a cycle had closed made shelling out nearly 9 Euros to see what should have been some straight-to-video B-movie more digestible.

Of course, to people with a long memory the name "Doom" carries a heavy legacy and comes with heightened expectations. Well, for those people, I agree, the flick fell flat on its face. For the mainstream, random viewer, there was nothing too good or too bad about it, and that was that.

The fact that the production was distanced from "classic Doom" didn't surprise me one bit. 11 years (at the time) was a looooong time for "'sum friggin' 'puter game" to still be mainstream. The fact that there was a rush of other "videogame movies" at the time (based on more recent franchises such as House of the Dead, Resident Evil etc.) didn't really help it stand out either. And unlike other videogame frachises, Doom didn't really have much going about it as far as media spinoffs were concerned (The Doom Comic? Gimme a break!). Compare it with e.g. Super Mario's comics in Nintendo Power, Super Mario Super Show, Street Fighter, etc.

Your entire post is essentially my thoughts on the movie. Certainly not a bad movie, and not even a bad DOOM movie. Like the SMB movie, it worked for what it was and on its own level.

AveryMaurice said:

The movie was terrible, good luck. :P

That it was. They didn't even fight demons, just mutants that look exactly like demons D: