Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Solarn

A community megawad proposition

I had an idea for a community Doom 2 project. The project is tentatively titled "What if we were ObHack". The premise is simple: a person posts a set of settings as if he (or she) were creating a map in ObHack, and another person makes a map with those settings, then posts another set for another person to complete. When we get to 32 maps, we stop. Ideally, we should at least always know the next few people in the line so that multiple people don't grab a map idea they like or progress doesn't stop because nobody likes the latest idea.

I'd like it to be a Single Player, Doom2, Boom compatible megawad, but I'm willing to take suggestions.

For those of you who are not familiar with ObHack, here is a download link to the latest version. It's a random map generator with a pretty simple interface. The Seed, Game, Length, Port and Mode settings are not applicable, but the rest are.

To clarify, I'm not asking people to create maps like ObHack would, but to create maps that in their opinion fit certain ObHack settings.

And to show that I'm not just planning on mooching off everyone else's creativity, I'm putting myself up as the first mapper. Come on, give me a set of values and I'll make the first map.

Cool. Were you thinking of having a time limit like a speedmap? Or just take as long as you need? And do you want a particular theme to go with too, since obhack does it by ep instead of a menu? I guess I'll make some parameteres, and be the next mapper ...

Level size: large
Monsters: Plenty
Puzzles: Heaps
Outdoors: some
Switches: keys+switches
Key type: skull keys
Room size: random
room lighting: high
steepness: some
Health: less
Ammo: normal
Start weapon: shotgun

Theme: Egyptian - ruinbros textures? Haven't played it but read that scythe 2 used their textures.

ArmouredBlood said:

Cool. Were you thinking of having a time limit like a speedmap? Or just take as long as you need? And do you want a particular theme to go with too, since obhack does it by ep instead of a menu? I guess I'll make some parameteres, and be the next mapper ...

Level size: large
Puzzles: Heaps
Outdoors: some
Switches: keys+switches
Key type: skull keys
Room size: random
room lighting: high
steepness: some
Health: less
Ammo: normal
Start weapon: shotgun

Theme: Egyptian - ruinbros textures? Haven't played it but read that scythe 2 used their textures.

Is there a texture pack with the ruinbros textures though?

I jump in it!

Level size: Regular
Puzzles: Some
Outdoors: Rare
Switches: Keys + Switches
Key Type: Key Cards
Room size: Normal
Rm Lighting: Medium
Steepness: some
Health: Less
Ammo: Normal
Star weapon: Pistol

Theme - Lets go with NiGHTMARE's Episode 5 textures :D

Wait wait wait. I seem to have made a mistake. We need to have some people in some kind of order before we even begin. As I said, I'm the first mapper. I'm going to use ArmouredBlood's settings because he posted first. Then whoever is the next mapper will use the settings I will give them. And so on. Kirby, sorry, but AB came first.

Anyway, is there a ruinbros texture pack?

Solarn said:

Is there a texture pack with the ruinbros textures though?

Er, I don't think so. Scythe 2 credits says kristian aro compiled the ruinbros textures for erik alm, so that's probably out. However in another thread it says they used hexen 2 demo textures, so maybe the hexen 2 pack from afterglow here?
http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml

So I guess I'll take kirby's parameters, and then he takes the next map? Maybe start a rotating roster, adding new people in the end and if there are more parameters than maps just start at the top again and people can decline parameters?

Solarn said:

Wait wait wait. I seem to have made a mistake. We need to have some people in some kind of order before we even begin. As I said, I'm the first mapper. I'm going to use ArmouredBlood's settings because he posted first. Then whoever is the next mapper will use the settings I will give them. And so on. Kirby, sorry, but AB came first.

Anyway, is there a ruinbros texture pack?

Got it, no worries. I kinda assumed that it was supposed to be ordered the way ArmouredBlood mentioned, in the sense that you would start using ArmouredBlood's params, then someone else (in this case, me) posts params for ArmouredBlood, and then I would wait for someone to post parasms for me, etc.

ArmouredBlood said:

Er, I don't think so. Scythe 2 credits says kristian aro compiled the ruinbros textures for erik alm, so that's probably out. However in another thread it says they used hexen 2 demo textures, so maybe the hexen 2 pack from afterglow here?

So I guess I'll take kirby's parameters, and then he takes the next map? Maybe start a rotating roster, adding new people in the end and if there are more parameters than maps just start at the top again and people can decline parameters?

Wrong way around. The one who does the map gets to give the parameters next. And I figured people will join up with time, and if they won't, there's no problem with someone being on the list multiple times.

So the way I figured is: parameters->mapper->gives new parameters->new mapper->gives new parameters->new mapper, etc.

ArmouredBlood said:

The Hexen 2 texture pack there doesn't have egyptian textures.

In that case you should probably start a list for people who want to sign up, then make notations for people who have been given parameters. It shouldn't be hard to follow since the list should go in numeric order - i.e. Mapper #1 (Solarn) gives parameters to Mapper #2(ArmouredBlood), then Mapper #2 gives params to Mapper #3, and so on and so forth. Out of curiosity do you want to have the mapper finish their map first before they give parameters to the next mapper?

Solarn said:

Wrong way around. The one who does the map gets to give the parameters next. And I figured people will join up with time, and if they won't, there's no problem with someone being on the list multiple times.

So the way I figured is: parameters->mapper->gives new parameters->new mapper->gives new parameters->new mapper, etc.

Hmm, I somehow think we're going to get very little variation in maps if the only parameters are going to be given by the people who map instead of open to anyone.

And don't worry about the texture theme, just pick something you like.

Just a thought, it would probably make your life much easier when compiling the maps if you first picked one big texture wad and told people to pick a theme from it, rather than leaving it all open and having potentially huge numbers of different resource wads used.

Kirby said:

In that case you should probably start a list for people who want to sign up, then make notations for people who have been given parameters. It shouldn't be hard to follow since the list should go in numeric order - i.e. Mapper #1 (Solarn) gives parameters to Mapper #2(ArmouredBlood), then Mapper #2 gives params to Mapper #3, and so on and so forth. Out of curiosity do you want to have the mapper finish their map first before they give parameters to the next mapper?

Ideally, yes. If that turns out to be too slow, then I guess we could do it differently. I don't really want to rush with this. It doesn't really matter to me how long it will take or even if it will be completed at all. I just want to make interesting maps and have others make interesting maps as well.