Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

High quality original Doom sfx - updated 01-08-10

Bump. Just coz this should be bumped.

Kyka said:

Bump. Just coz this should be bumped.

Oh, yep, yes.

Waltz of the Demons is f'ing amazing!! So perfect! Wow, sounds just absolutely awesome. Victory is really good, too, but I'd prefer a less synthesized guns 'n roses' guitar for the main melody to something more like what is in the original--or mix it up--the higher registers of your e-guitar don't really sound as compelling as the original--the lower notes of your e-guitar do. I just downloaded them all! woo-hoo! :) I'll have more harsh critique of them soon. :)

EDIT: at first I thought the beginning of Suspense wasn't sinister enough, but after hearing the whole song--I changed my tune... totally blew me away. Some of these tracks, including this one, have a quality that would fit Lord of the Rings some how. E1M5 literally brought tears to my eyes while playing to the music--it moved me in a very peculiar way--can't say why--it's very haunting; sublime. The fairy dust and the voice really got me somehow. Cacoward all the way! Full on Double Rainbow.

Do you write original music? You should collaborate with Howard Shore or whoever does the soundtrack to The Hobbit if that movie ever comes out. :P

Some of the sound effects are a little too vinyl. The doors opening and closing, especially, and the teleport sound. The lift also, but it seems more forgivable for some reason. I'm actually already getting used to them. I would fix the door sounds to be as close to original as possible. If there was any sound in doom that didn't need improvement it's the slow door open/close sound.

The weapon sounds are fricking awesome. And you should understand, all my criticisms here are in the context of doom. I don't care if the sounds sound good on their own, do they improve the doom experience while keeping it authentic? Do they augment it without altering it in any ingenuine way to my experience of what Doom is? So, yeah, the doom door sounds cool, but it's not working as well as the original for Doom. The shotgun, pistol, rocket are a total improvement all the way double rainbow. Chaingun not so much.

Thank you very much for your comments Hellbent!

I've written some of my own stuff, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

Strange... I thought the new door sounds were good, I'm quite happy with them actually :-)

I disagree with that last sentence. I think the chaingun deserved the high quality sounds more so than any other sounds in this pack. It's the original sound but still sounds MUCH more like a weapon than it's low-def counterpart

Yeah I'm with Hellbent, some of the sounds are noticeably "out of place", the slow door noise and teleporter like Hellbent mentioned, and the human/imp pain noise are the ones that I have personally noticed. They all seem to have a high-ish frequency hiss to them.

Regardless, this effort is quite awesome and makes for a refreshing Doom experience!

Hellbent said:

Some of the sound effects are a little too vinyl.

Vorpal said:

Yeah I'm with Hellbent, some of the sounds are noticeably "out of place", ... They all seem to have a high-ish frequency hiss to them.

I have a feeling this might be an auditory illusion, as you're used to hearing the low frequency Doom sounds, and are not used to hearing the higher frequencies heard in the higher frequency resolution sound effects.

The sounds were released on a CD so I'm not sure where the vinyl/hiss would come from, the audio most likely stored digitally and not on an analog medium.

Yeah I've been wondering if it's just that, me being too used to the low quality sounds.

But it's only those 3 or so that bother me, they really stand out, while the rest of the sounds seem very solid and high quality. Perhaps the original recordings was noisy, and the downgrade that id performed on those particular sounds happened to clip off the noisy frequencies (is this even possible? I'm not a sound guy).

Vorpal said:

Perhaps the original recordings was noisy, and the downgrade that id performed on those particular sounds happened to clip off the noisy frequencies (is this even possible? I'm not a sound guy).

This is very possible. Just open up windows sound recorder or something and change a 44khz sound to a 11khz sound and you'll notice tons of higher frequencies seem to almost disappear.

Though I personally think it's just another vocal/breath sound overlayed to make the sounds a bit more monsterish/inhuman, but I could be wrong about that.

Infurnus said:

I have a feeling this might be an auditory illusion, as you're used to hearing the low frequency Doom sounds, and are not used to hearing the higher frequencies heard in the higher frequency resolution sound effects.

The sounds were released on a CD so I'm not sure where the vinyl/hiss would come from, the audio most likely stored digitally and not on an analog medium.

My headphones are notable for their tinny sound.

On another note, the flute in E2M4 sounds like something Tom Bombadil might play to his lady Goldberry, rather than something out of doom. :P

The new chaingun sound isn't bad, just not as awesome as the shotgun which is like going to the store and buying the latest and greatest.

It might be that some of the Doom sounds were filtered before (or after) converting them to 11kHz, to make them sound smoother at 11 kHz. Also some of the hissing you hear is probably due to them being 8-bit sounds, although that is hardly audible on the door sounds.

Try converting a sound from my sound pack down to 11 kHz and compare it next to the original sound.

Hellbent said:

On another note, the flute in E2M4 sounds like something Tom Bombadil might play to his lady Goldberry, rather than something out of doom. :P

Well, the fact that it's played in Doom anyway makes it more disturbing in my mind, ever seen the lawn mower scene in Peter Jackson's Braindead(Dead Alive) ;-)

perkristian said:

Well, the fact that it's played in Doom anyway makes it more disturbing in my mind, ever seen the lawn mower scene in Peter Jackson's Braindead(Dead Alive) ;-)

I actually never saw Braindead x_x but I see what you're getting at. I like the voices in E1M7 :). Listening to it right now.

EDIT: Did you alter the timing in E1M8? Sounds slightly different. (I got all the tracks in loop on repeat)